4 years of Shop Notes.

Review by Ken90712 posted 1318 days ago 4772 views 0 times favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
4 years of Shop Notes. 4 years of Shop Notes. 4 years of Shop Notes. Click the pictures to enlarge them

I suspect I’m like most LJ’s on here and love to read anything about woodworking. Blondie recently had asked my what I would like for my Birthday, not really needing anything I said these books would be great. I have been receiving the magazine for just over a year now. This is 4 years worth of magazine’s binded in separate one year hardcovers, @ $89.50 http://www.shopnotes.com/

I love this subscription, great pics and projects with plans. Very little advertising, while I understand the importance of advertising sometimes magazines tend to have just a little to much for me. The subscription comes with the 3 ring binder holes in them so you can place them in a binder.

These hardcover books are high quality and the pages are thick grade paper that will resist tearing out for years. I have ordered some of there of there other books that are by far the most reasonable priced on the market at $9.99 http://www.woodsmithstore.com/sibooks.html

I would give it 6 Stars if available, thx for reading and I hope this helps!

I would LOVE it if ShopNotes would put all their back issues on DVD in .pdf format like Wood Magazine did for the 25 years DVD ROM set… Paper media is great, but I love the space saving benefits of DVDROM instead of paper…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View Dan's profile

Dan

I have every issue of ShopNotes and its probably my favorite of all the woodworking magazines. When I first got serious about woodworking I relied on these magazines to learn the craft. Like you said ShopNotes is not filled with adds and they always have great plans for jigs and shop items.

-- Dan - "Collector of Hand Planes"

Joe Lyddon

I like them too… along with WoodSmith… always very good stuff inside…
I don’t think there is any advertising except for making it known were things like hardware, etc. can be purchased for the various projects in their books.

I LOVE them!

They are the GREATEST!

Those are cool binders… I put mine in special magazine holding boxes I made some time ago.

View mafe's profile

mafe

Thank you, that is something to think about.
Best thoughts,
Mads

View Marcalo's profile

Marcalo

Terry and the boys are awesome!

View DraftsmanRick's profile

DraftsmanRick

When i got serious about my woodworking i started with their magazine as well. I liked the idea of NO advertising! It was great and i had it for about 2 years worth. I thought it was kinda cheesy though that every picture of a pair of hands was of the same guy lol…Just because he had, nice hands. If i remember correctily most of thier projects where for the shop, which at the time, was fine with me. I now subsrcibe to the e-version of Fine woodworking though because of the more interactive website.

-- Jesus was a carpenter

View davidroberts's profile

davidroberts

1002 posts in 2084 days

in my top three, probably top 2. i have been known to buy past issues of woodworking in bulk off ebay. although shopnote owners tend to hang onto their copies.

View Kevin's profile

Kevin

I love shopnotes also. I have 1-95 digital PDF’s of shopnotes right now. I don’t have the past couple of years on pdf though.

-- Williamsburg, KY

View WoodworkingGeek's profile

WoodworkingGeek

Shop notes is VERY helpful when setting up a shop and if you already have a shop very helpful.

I’d love to have a full set of PDF’s for all of the issues. I’ve got the paper copies of 1 thru 35 or so that someone gave me. But it would be nice to flip the pages on the computer. You can also print a copy of the article if you want to make it.

Joe Lyddon

I think the PDF’s would be nice too… but they seem expensive to me…

MT_Stringer

For those of you that would like to see Shop Notes in pdf format and all of the back issues available on one DVD…well, it is out. I posted a simple review in the DVD section.

Screen shot of the DVD main screen.

Joe Lyddon

Is there a Search that covers ALL files at the same time?
ie: Can I Search ALL issues for “Router Table” and get results covering all 25 years with ONE Search?

MT_Stringer

Yes. Read my review. I posted the link.

MT_Stringer

@Joe Lyddon…her ya go, Joe.
I searched all issues and found 91 articles with “router table” in the title, article summary, etc.

First hit was in 1995.
Things like tips for router table use, how to make router tables, drawers grooves, etc.
Here is a screen shot of the search results. All I did was type in the words “router table”.