Almost gave it one star

Review by Pdub posted 1354 days ago 3272 views 0 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Almost gave it one star Almost gave it one star No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I ordered this set back in August when Rockler had a sale goin on. I didn’t get to use it until late September. The first three bowls went good, but on bowl number four the bearing seized up and left a deep burn mark in my bowl. I was furious to say the least. It was Sunday night so I had time to cool off before calling Rockler to complain. The nice lady at Rockler said she would contact CMT and have then send me a new one. When I told her that I needed it to finish bowls for a craft show she agreed to send one and settle up with CMT later. It was on my doorstep TWO days later. So I would give Rockler Five stars for customer service.

Back to the bit: I used the new bit to finish the original bowl and have made five since then. It works great. The bit even seems to cut cleaner than the original. I must have gotten a lemon for the first one. If I had rated this on Sunday night I would have been hard pressed to give it One star but have changed my mind after using the replacement. The bearing is replaceable so for $8 I will have two bits when all is said and done. I did notice while searching for similar bits that MLCS has the same set up but with more templates, for about the same price. I paid $90 for mine on sale. They normally sale for $100.

-- Paul, North Dakota, USAF Ret.

View Pdub's profile

Pdub

View patron's profile

patron

13018 posts in 1974 days

glad it was made good for you

can’t beat good service

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

nice review, and I agree that Rockler customer service is 5 star – fantastic!

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View JasonWagner's profile

JasonWagner

I have found CMT to make high quality bits…like you said, hopefully that was a lemon.

-- some day I hope to have enough clamps to need a clamp cart!

View lanwater's profile

lanwater

Rockler rocks when it comes to customer service. They are the best in the industry.

-- Abbas, Castro Valley, CA

View Todd A. Clippinger's profile

Todd A. Clippinger

Good to hear Rockler took care of you.

Every company has a percentage of defects, but I have had superb service from all of my CMT router bits and blades. I favor them and rate them above everything but Whiteside for quality.

Good to hear it worked out for you in the end.

-- Todd A. Clippinger, Montana, http://americancraftsmanworkshop.com

Interesting review and good info,thx. I have been thinking about buying the kit from MLCS just haven’t finished all the other things on the list. Glad it worked out. I too think Rockler’s service is top notch. I use the one here in Southern California and they alway take care of me.

View Peter Oxley's profile

Peter Oxley

Rockler has great customer service … I recently received a no-questions replacement from them.

The bearings will seize up. The faster they spin, the hotter they get. Bigger diameter bearings are moving pretty fast at the outside edge.

Make sure the bearing spins freely before you start – if it feels “gritty” when you turn it, you will have troubles soon.

I’m always nervous that lubricants will get on the wood and reject the finish later, but a little T-9 or other dry tool lube on the bearing really helps it last, and I’ve never had finish problems as a result.

Of course, having a few replacements on-hand is always a good idea!

-- http://www.peteroxley.com -- http://north40studios.etsy.com --

View cranesgonewild's profile

cranesgonewild

I bought the CMT set last year and have made a bunch of bowls without any problems. I got mine through a company called AceTools. I believe I paid $80 for the bit and the collet extention.
A good tip on extending the life of your tray and bowl bit would be to clean out most of the wood with a forstner bit like I did here.

-- I'm a Fungi --

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

TopamaxSurvivor

Is is 1/2 shank? How big a router do you have to have to run it?

I have had great customer service from Rockler… Never tried CMT though. I am wondering if it was a lube problem. MLCS recommends keeping the bearings clean, and lubricated…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View Pdub's profile

Pdub

Topamax: It is 1/2 shank and requires a 1 3/4 hp or larger plunge router.

I made several templates of my own by using line drawings from coloring books and cutting them out of 1/2 MDF, with my scrollsaw.

I did clean out most of the wood as Chad (cranesgonewild) stated and was making very shallow passes. Like I said, I think I just got one with a bad bearing. It happens, just seems to always happen at the worst possible time. LOL

-- Paul, North Dakota, USAF Ret.

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

TopamaxSurvivor

Thanks, I thought it would probably be a heavy duty operation.

View NordicaTool's profile

NordicaTool

Just to be fair to CMT, they don’t make the ball-bearing. Never have I seen a “lemon” of a tool from them.

-- info@nordicatools.com