Great product, excellent company.

Review by dbhost posted 12-07-2010 09:58 PM 3679 views 2 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great product, excellent company. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Now you guys and gals know me, I am a bang for the buck kind of guy, and in order to separate my cheap fingers from those bucks, your product or service better offer some real tangible additional bang…

Enter the OneWay Manufacturing Wolverine jig. I initially got this because I had no idea that PSI had a cheaper clone, and after a couple of frustrating plywood copies later, I opted for the steel of the Wolverine to avoid the flexing that was messing up my angles.

To call the Wolverine jig well made would be like saying that a Bradley Fighting Vehicle is somewhat sturdy. More than an understatement! This thing is extremely well made, with good thick stock, solid secure welds, and supporting hardware that is simply top rate. The design is simple and straight forward…

The same can be said about my Vari Grind and my Wolverine Skew Jig… Both of which I was fortunate enough to be able to purchase second hand for a fraction of the cost new. However, my Skew jig had a problem. The thumb screw plastic knob was crushed when it arrived. Which is the way the original owner sent it out. (I knew it and had no problem). I had intended on getting a replacement locally, but had some trouble figuring out the thread.

So I called OneWay. They not only offered to have me order a replacement from them, but they are sending out out and no cost to me, knowing full well that I am not the original owner of this jig. (But I am the original owner of the Wolverine jig…)

Sadly, I have had this setup for a year and a half, and I am just now getting around to ordering the replacement knob… But I must admit, i am very happy to be doing business with OneWay… Makes me want to look their way for other turning tools and accessories!

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#1 posted 12-07-2010 10:15 PM

The Wolverine is the standard for jigs to sharpen turning cutting tools. I’ve had mine for a couple of years and I don’t know how I got along without it.

There are imitators available and maybe they are good – but why take the chance? You know that Wolverine has been the leader in this product for years.

#2 posted 12-07-2010 10:22 PM

I have heard good things about the PSI, but yearh, the Wolverine is impressive. If you don’t have one, take a look at one… I am glad I got the accessories used though. The whole setup gets kind of spendy…

View BassBully's profile

BassBully

#3 posted 12-08-2010 12:45 AM

I wanted to purchase a PSI but I needed my sharpening jig quick and my local WoodSmith store sells them. It is a nice jig and very solid. The only thing I can complain about is the cost. That said, I still wish I could at least try the PSI to see it’s quality. Now that I have the jig though, I’d also like to get OneWay’s grinding wheel balancer. If I could only get that at a cheap cost I’d get it now.

-- There are three types of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't!

#4 posted 12-08-2010 12:57 AM

Bassbully. Why do you want the balancer? The reason I ask is my grinder started shaking VIOLENTLY when I installed Norton white oxide wheels… I swapped the bushings for some steel machine bushings from McMaster Carr and trued the wheel up with a Geiger’s Dressing and Truing Solution tool… Runs smooth as butter now… No need for the balancer. And the balancer wouldn’t have fixed my problem.

View Big_Bob's profile

Big_Bob

#5 posted 12-08-2010 12:59 AM

I agree that Oneway is a great company with some great products like there Vari Grind jig and the Wolverine system. However, I have always found that sharpening a skew free hand is just about as easy as anything else. That may be just be me and of course I sure not everyone feels that way. Anyway, just a thought.

-- Bob Clark, Tool Collector and Sawdust Maker

View SPHinTampa's profile

SPHinTampa

#6 posted 12-08-2010 03:57 PM

I agree with this review … I saw this set up on Mike Darlow’s sharpening DVD so I purchased it. Easy to set up, easy to use and I get better results than I ever did freehand.

-- Shawn, I ask in order to learn

View BassBully's profile

BassBully

#7 posted 12-08-2010 05:26 PM

dbhost,

Thanks for the tip. I’m using the Norton wheels as well and they come with the plastic bushings. I’ll try to get some steel bushings instead.

#8 posted 12-08-2010 05:36 PM

Yeah, lose those plastic bushings. They caused me some serious problems…

Don Geiger sent along the part numbers on a thread I had going elsewhere. He gave me the following part #s…

8491A562 5/8” i.d. X 1” o.d. X 1” long (Fits my Ryobi fine, should fit most common grinders like Jet, Delta, Rockwell etc…)

8491A564 3/4” i.d. X 1” o.d. X 1” long (these fit the large Baldor grinders)

If neither of these fit your needs go the site.

The fit was snug on the arbor. I used a tiny dab of anti sieze compound (the silver stuff) on the shaft to keep the bushing from sticking to it permanently. I live in a very humid environment and I wanted to prevent the pieces from rusting together…

View GaryL's profile

GaryL

#9 posted 12-11-2010 02:48 AM

I also purchased the Wolverine jig with the Skew jig, Vari-Grind, and also the diamond wheel dresser. I wish I had know about the Vari-Grind II, it looks a little easier to use to get the angles right on. The diamond wheel dresser is the best part of the whole system. I have never been able to dress my wheels as smooth and square as this does. It only takes off a very small amount as you adjust it in, so you are only removing a little at a time until the wheel is perfect. The extended wheel life will be a major plus. I have a Norton 80 blue and a Norton 150 white. I’ll have to take your advice on the wheel bushings and swap them out. I still have the plastic ones in it.

-- Gary; Marysville, MI...Involve your children in your projects as much as possible, the return is priceless.

View michstairguy's profile

michstairguy

#10 posted 12-15-2010 05:33 PM

The best sharpening system for the best price out there. If you really want to see it perform to its max potential get the wheel balancing kit Oneway sells. It will take any vibration you have in your grinder and get rid of it

-- There is no growing in knowing where your going

#11 posted 12-15-2010 05:51 PM

michstairguy. I used the Geiger’s solution tool to dress / true my wheel. Would there be any advantage to the OneWay balancer? The thing is as smooth as any grinder I have ever been around, but smoother is always better…

#12 posted 12-17-2010 10:53 PM

Just a little update here. The replacement knob came in. I was expecting to get a thumb screw sort of setup, but it appears that isn’t what they used. It literally was a cap that went on to the end of the existing one. It seems they have a plastic cap that is pressed on to a simple Allen head bolt. That plastic cap becomes the thumb wheel as it were. it was a bit of a challenge to get the original one off, but it went, to press it on was just a quick trip to the vise. Once it all went together, it was as good as new.

Not that I minded just getting the cap, it did seem a bit odd to me that they didn’t send the cap / bolt assembly pre done. Just an oddity to me…

View Ryan Haasen's profile

Ryan Haasen

#13 posted 01-27-2012 03:10 AM

Great product, my turning tools are never dull.

-- Ryan

View 8iowa's profile

8iowa

#14 posted 01-27-2012 04:13 AM

As Rich mentioned, the Wolverine is probably the quintessential sharpening system for lathe turning tools. I have it mounted on a bench directly behind the shopsmith (in lathe mode). My choice for a grinder was the 1800 rpm from Woodcraft.

Two years ago my son and I attended Hal Simmons’s turning class at Highland in Atlanta. Hal is a professional turner and the Wolverine is the system he uses.

-- "Heaven is North of the Bridge"