Ridgid DP1550 Drill Press

Review by ic3ss posted 12-07-2010 01:52 AM 7688 views 1 time favorited 21 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Ridgid DP1550 Drill Press Ridgid DP1550 Drill Press Ridgid DP1550 Drill Press Click the pictures to enlarge them

Hi all, I just got back from Home Depot a few hours ago with my new drill press. Woo-Hoo!

I chose this drill press based on the weight of the reviews that I’ve read on this website and elsewhere. I just brought it home a few hours ago and just completed setting it up and testing it.

Out of the box, the reviews hold true about the accuracy of the parts fitting together, fit and finish, ease of assembly, and usability. After seating the chuck, I found the runout is about .003”, backing up what I read on another review. The table was a dead-level 90° to a long spade bit that I put in the chuck without making any adjustments. The instructions were easy to follow, and the whole thing took about two hours to put together. I took the time to de-grease all exposed machined surfaces with brake cleaner, and then I applied paste wax to the table top, and the column to keep the rust under control.

The only real snag in setting this up was putting on the table crank handle (pic 3 above). The shaft was too tight, so I sanded down the cast aluminum of the hole and then I was able to tap it in with a deadblow mallet. There’s an adjustment in the instructions to take the slop out of the crank handle.

After cleaning the top with brake cleaner, the swivel shaft was wrapped in paper to keep the grease on, I just peeled it off.

The head was pretty heavy, but not so much that I couldn’t manage it myself.

There!

Checking the table is perpendicular to the drill bit. This bit was checked to verify that it was straight.

All done!

It fits right in there, looks good too.

I’ve got a plan for a woodworking table that will clamp to the iron table and will bee easy to install/remove, with a fence, I just need to build it now. The drill runs very quiet and has no rattles. I ran that 1” spade bit through a 2×4 and the motor had no complaints. I’ll try some larger forstner bits later. Being brand new, this drill press is a great buy right out of the box, quality seems to be about as good as you could expect for this price range. I’ll use this press for a while and then write another review, and we’ll see how it does over time.

Wayne

View DrewM's profile

DrewM

#1 posted 12-07-2010 02:18 AM

nice drill press, I almost bought one just like it but I found a deal on craigslist I couldn’t pass up. Congrats on the new machine.

-- Drew, Delaware

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

#2 posted 12-07-2010 03:28 AM

I’ve been really happy with every one of my Ridgid tools, for the low price I paid.

Sounds like you will be, too. Congratulations on the new DP :-)

-- -- Neil

View sillac's profile

sillac

#3 posted 12-07-2010 03:42 AM

Wayne, Great looking Drill Press, did you get it at HD on Cherry St or the one SW of Salem? How does this DP compare with the Delta? I will be getting one or the other after I finish my shop. Just about have the walls all insulated, then will have about half the floor and the ceiling. My goal is to have the insulation done by the end of the year. Anyway thinks for sharing your new baby, looks great. Steve in Dallas OR

-- Steve in Oregon,

View mathom7's profile

mathom7

#4 posted 12-07-2010 03:49 AM

Did you get this for the clearance price of $150?

I’ve seen them marked down to $269 in my area, but, I’m holding out, and watching craiglist at the same time for a better deal.

View JasonWagner's profile

JasonWagner

#5 posted 12-07-2010 04:50 AM

Congrats on the drill press! I have the older version and have been very happy with it after deciding I didn’t need to spend $600+ on a drill press. Check out the table I made in my projects for a table/fence with dust collection.

-- some day I hope to have enough clamps to need a clamp cart!

View TungOilTim's profile

TungOilTim

#6 posted 12-07-2010 05:25 AM

I’m glad you like it. We have one at work that has seen better days, but then again it has been abused.

-- Tim, Plant City FL

#7 posted 12-07-2010 07:52 AM

Steve in Dallas, OR,

I picked it up at the one on south Lancaster. It was the only one they had. I looked at the PC at Lowes for $300, and it had a laser sight, but when I pulled the quill down it was very rough and didn’t spring back well at all. I like PC tools and own several, but this thing just didn’t rate very well in fit/finish.

Mathom7,

I’ve heard a lot of yacking around the web about this drill press selling at HD for $150 but I don’t know what to think about that, ‘cause I called and went to several stores and no one had it for less than $300. While it would be nice to score a deal like that, I’m not going to wait around for MAYBE one to show up at that price, my time is too valuable. I did, however, get a 10% military discount, so I did save a bit.

Deke,

I’ve spent the last few months looking around craigslist for a used press. I’ve found a few that fit the bill, but I could buy this new press for close to what they want. I found a few of this same press for $270, that’s what I paid for it new. In other words, I just didn’t find any deals I couldn’t refuse. For your question, I had my wife come out at take the pics of me lifting the head. I knew I could lift and mount it, but I wanted a picture of me lifting it. OK, I’m weird.

Wayne

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

#8 posted 12-07-2010 08:42 AM

Kickback: my 12” benchtop Craftsman is one of my oldest tools. Runs straight. Never a hiccup. You could do worse, I think :-)

-- -- Neil

View firehouse's profile

firehouse

#9 posted 12-07-2010 10:39 AM

I BOUGHT THE PC AT LOWES FOR 269 IT DOES AGREAT JOB,LOWES HAS A FLOOR MODEL THAT YOU CAN LOOK AT . I WENT TO HD TO LOOK AT A RIDGID I WAS TOLD I HAD TO ORDER ON LINE NO FLOOR MODEL TO LOOK AT———- NO LOOK——- NO TOUCH——GOOD BY. GOOD LUCKY—FIREHOUSE

-- duke 66 ocala fl.

#10 posted 12-07-2010 10:52 AM

Firehouse,

Sometimes I wonder if the display items are put together properly by the store guys, maybe that was the problem with the one I looked at, I dunno. I agree, if they don’t care enough to have one that I can put my paws on, they don’t want my money bad enough. I have some PC tools that I really like, but that drill press in the store had some serious issues.

#11 posted 12-07-2010 10:11 PM

You will enjoy this tool. I particularly like the feel of the handle, with just the perfect tension in the return spring. Here are some pics of my drill press table. The table features hold downs, stop blocks, dust collection, and a storage drawer. Otherwise search Pintodeluxe projects on lumberjocks.

View Viking's profile

Viking

#12 posted 12-07-2010 11:01 PM

Wayne;

Great review. We have the Ridgid 1550 and even though it might hurt Deke’s ears, we got the great HD deal.

You might consider dust collection for your drill press along with a good shop made or store bought table. We caught a good sale on the Peachtree DC system for a drill press and it works even better than expected.

Thanks for sharing.

Good Luck!

-- Rick Gustafson - Lost Creek Ranch - Colorado County, Texas

View Howie's profile

Howie

#13 posted 12-08-2010 12:37 AM

I have the same drill press and have had it for 4 years. No problems at all. Enjoy.

-- Life is good.

#14 posted 12-08-2010 07:05 PM

Good review, I looked all over for the Rigid Planer here in California that a bunch of fellow LJ’s got on here dirt cheap. $150.00 was no where to be found, all the stores here wanted the $287.00. I would like to get a bigger drill press but might splurge to a Grizzly with 1 hp motor. Would love to here how she performs when using bigger bits. Thx for the review.

View NathanAllen's profile

NathanAllen

#15 posted 12-09-2010 07:56 PM

A word to the wise though, if you’re swapping it out for left handed operation the tension coil should be screws out; otherwise the fix will cost you a call to Ridgid for the replacement wheel.