Hooray for Harbor Freight and to heck with Fastenall

Review by lilredweldingrod posted 12-06-2010 11:46 PM 3066 views 2 times favorited 20 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Hooray for Harbor Freight and to heck with Fastenall Hooray for Harbor Freight and to heck with Fastenall No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Three years ago I bought a cheapy set of drill/countersinks. The bits broke almost immediately, so I thought I would get some quality bits and went to the Fastenall store in Lancaster, Ca. He had to order them. I sent the wife in to pick them up, three weeks later. Four packages of ten bits each, $54.00!!!! I nearly choked, but a deal is a deal and I did want a good quality bit.
The only good quality that I got was the plastic containers which I still use for my replacement bits. lol
I could not believe how fast these Quality Bits broke.

Fastenall, I don’t even give you 1 star for this expensive junk.

So when I am in Harbor Freight, I see these packages of ten bits for $1.98 each. I bought four packs, one of each size. Even with a flat spot ground on the side of the bits, the HF are still going strong. And if you look at the picture, you will see that the HF is much longer and theoretically should break easier just from the leverage.
I must say that good old HF never ceases to amaze me. lol Evidently I have purchased a lifetime supply of these bits.

I started to select one star for Fastenall and changed my mind. I will rate HF with 5 stars instead. Credit where credit is due.

If you go to Fastenall, just buy the plastic cases, as they stand up very well and are worth a buck a piece in my opinion. Needless to say, I have not returned for second time. My sex life is just fine with out them.

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

TopamaxSurvivor

#1 posted 12-06-2010 11:54 PM

Good review Rand. I got some ”$15” at any other place unibits at HF for about $2. They work just as good as teh spendy ones do. HF isn’t all junk, but some others are pushing junk at quality prices.

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

#2 posted 12-06-2010 11:55 PM

LOL…

Very good Rand… Glad it worked out for you.

I’ve had bits from HF that were D U L L and wouldn’t cut through melted butter… Sounds like you LUCKED out and got some good stuff!

View CampD's profile

CampD

#3 posted 12-07-2010 12:02 AM

I know fastenall charges for the paperwork and they have a minimun charge

-- Doug...

5387 posts in 1987 days

#4 posted 12-07-2010 12:08 AM

You have had a very different experience with HF drilling accessories than I have. Never dealt with Fastenall, probably won’t either…

My countersinking bits are a mix of Craftsman, and Vermont American, the newest of which is something like 15 years old. I have swapped the pilot bits out for Ace Hardware cheapies because I used to work at Ace when i was in college, and I got a LOT of bits on the employee discount… They have worked great for a very long time…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

#5 posted 12-07-2010 12:13 AM

I also ordered 4 48” piano hinges. I thought I paid for them as well. But no. I double checked the bill and the whole thing was the cheapo bits.
After a couple of months I ordered the hinge from Rockler. I can’t remember what they quoted me for the hinge, but I do remember that Rockler was cheaper even with the freight. lol
I’ve dealt with a lot of fastener companies, but never any one like this bunch of thieves. And I didn’t even get a kiss.

View Jamie Speirs's profile

Jamie Speirs

#6 posted 12-07-2010 12:14 AM

Rand,
now if HF were in Bonnie Scotland…........................zzzzzzzz wake up jamie.

Good info though, I buy what I can and grind.
Some of the “Made in UK” stuff we get? Flag stickers over the made in China ones. :(

jamie

-- Who is the happiest of men? He who values the merits of others, and in their pleasure takes joy, even as though 'twere his own. --Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

View Roger Clark aka Rex's profile

Roger Clark aka Rex

#7 posted 12-07-2010 12:21 AM

Rand,
I have a really nice set of Amana/Timberline . It’s an 11 piece set and the high quality bits are supplied in a really nice case. The cost was $14.04 from Tools Today. They only sell high quality bits.

-- Roger-R, Republic of Texas. "Always look on the Bright Side of Life" - An eyeball to eyeball confrontation with a blind person is as complete waste of Time.

#8 posted 12-07-2010 12:27 AM

Karr, Bowman, and several others are now a part of Barnes Distribution. I have their drill bits and bridge reamers that I’ve used for years. I have found them and Lawson products to be very high quality and don’t mind paying for this quality. But finding a salesman is very difficult.

#9 posted 12-07-2010 12:27 AM

If someone just reads the title over your pictures , and not your whole review , it appears that you have given the Fastenal bits 5 stars.
While researching the Fastenal site , I found that they have several different suppliers. Did you choose your bits from their list of suppliers , or did they just send you the sizes you requested ? Did you contact them about the inferior bits to let them know that they have a problem with one of their suppliers ? Did you give them a chance to redeem themselves ? For $54.00 of my money , they would certainly hear from me ! : )

#10 posted 12-07-2010 12:39 AM

OK, Dusty, how’s that? Thanks for bring that to my attention.
Yes, I went back for all the good it did. and they picked the supplier, I only asked for the size bits. The biggest problem with the Lancaster store is the jerk they hired. Several of my old customers have had the same experience there.

#11 posted 12-07-2010 12:50 AM

Thanks for the info Roger. I will look in to them.

Dusty,Yes, I went back for all the good it did. I have talked to several of my old customers up here in the high desert and they have had the same experience with the guy in the Lancaster store. I left with the opinion that it was a 50/50 problem between the corporation and the jerk they hired.

#12 posted 12-07-2010 12:52 AM

Very nicely done : )
I’ve had to suffer at the hands of jerky counter people as well….it’s funny how some counter people give you all the help you need and others are just worried about their coffee getting cold !
Back to your review …thanks for letting us know that HF has some good quality bits to choose from : )

View Pawky's profile

Pawky

#13 posted 12-07-2010 01:07 AM

I’ve never had but good experiences at Fastenal. The guy that runs the store here is amazing. I’ve gone there and only spent a dollar or so (no minimum price). I’m sorry you had a bad experience with them.

Glad you found some bits that will work for a good price though.

View grizzman's profile

grizzman

7193 posts in 2058 days

#14 posted 12-07-2010 02:09 AM

so rand, if i give ya a kiss then i get good drill bits…..am i reading this right…......and how many bits do i get fer each kiss…...or maybe it would be better to go to hf….they prob just want cash…no kisses…well i dunno…it might be a toss up…the grizz is thinkin on it..

-- GRIZZMAN ...[''''']

#15 posted 12-07-2010 02:17 AM

Grizz, First off, if you are going to kiss me, you are going to have to shave real close. lol And no slipping me the tongue either. LMAO