Best value even though not specifically for woodworkers

Review by kshipp posted 02-29-2008 04:29 PM 3806 views 1 time favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Best value even though not specifically for woodworkers Best value even though not specifically for woodworkers No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I got these calipers about a year ago for some other projects but I have found myself using them many times for wood working. It’s great for checking setups on your tools and seeing exactly where a joint is not fitting.

As far as calipers go they are pretty standard but where they stand out is the price. These are on sale now at Harbor Freight for $16 and I think that is about what I paid for them a year ago. I know what you are thinking because I thought the same thing, “How can a $16 set of calipers from Harbor Freight be any good?” I got them because I figured I wasn’t building rocket ships so it didn’t matter a whole lot. But I checked them against some we have at work that cost 4 times as much and are calibrated regularly and they were extremely comparable. (I’m an industrial engineer, so I used valid statistical tools to check this. I left out the actual data because I can’t find it right now and I’ve found that not everyone find statistics as interesting as I do.)

Here are the stats from the Harbor Freight website:

• Accurate to 0.001”
  • Resolution: 0.0005”
  • Metric and SAE Display
  • Fluid-resistant stainless steel frame, precision ground jaws
  • On/Off switch with automatic shutoff

The only problem for woodworking is it measures in decimal instead of fractions. I have a drill index chart in my shop that gives me all the conversions so it’s not a big deal.

-- Kyle Shipp, http://battleshipp.blogspot.com

View kshipp's profile

kshipp

View David A. P.'s profile

David A. P.

#1 posted 05-20-2009 09:25 PM

Thanks for the review! Helpful for the woodworker on a limited budget (i.e., almost all of them :).

-- David A. P. -- Ars Arboris ("Art of the Tree") -- ArsArboris.com

#2 posted 05-21-2009 04:10 AM

Good Reveiw . I use mine all the time

View Geedubs's profile

Geedubs

143 posts in 1952 days

#3 posted 06-13-2011 03:37 PM

They are on sale right now at Harbor Freight for just $9.99. Looks like I’m on my way to HF.

-- Todos los dias aprendemos algo nuevo.