Simple Green PRO HD excells at cleaning saw blades

Review by pintodeluxe posted 12-06-2010 09:46 PM 4973 views 5 times favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Simple Green PRO HD excells at cleaning saw blades No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I heard that soaking carbide tipped blades in simple green can leach carbide from the metal. I emailed simple green and a rep confirmed that the standard simple green should not be used to soak carbide tipped blades. He recommended two other simple green products that have no such problem:
1. Simple Green Pro HD
2. Simple Green Aircraft parts cleaner

I found the simple green Pro HD at my local Home Depot. It is the purple stuff and is sold in a 1 gallon concentrate for around $13. I gave it a try cleaning my Freud saw blades, and I was quite impressed. I had all the pitch and gum removed from my tablesaw blade, and dado set in under 10 minutes. Most of that was letting the blades soak. I lightly scrubbed with a brass brush, and all the deposits just melted.
After cleaning, I dry the blades with a paper towel and reinstall on the saw. I run the saw for a minute to finish drying the blade. The cleaner does not leave any residue.
Simple Green Purple. Go get some.

View Viking's profile

Viking

#1 posted 12-06-2010 09:54 PM

Thanks for the tip. This is great to know. I had heard the same about the standard Simple Green.

Did you use the SG Pro full strength?

Thanks for sharing

-- Rick Gustafson - Lost Creek Ranch - Colorado County, Texas

#2 posted 12-06-2010 09:57 PM

I diluted the cleaner 1:1 with water. I no longer dread cleaning blades.

View Viking's profile

Viking

#3 posted 12-06-2010 09:59 PM

Thanks! Going to HD on the way home today.

-- Rick Gustafson - Lost Creek Ranch - Colorado County, Texas

#4 posted 12-07-2010 12:00 AM

Does it smell like the regular product ?
Thanks for the info …I didn’t know that the original was bad for the carbide , not that I’ve used it for blade cleaning.

View GaryL's profile

GaryL

#5 posted 12-07-2010 12:43 AM

Thanks for info. Did not know that Simple Green was used for this.

-- Gary; Marysville, MI...Involve your children in your projects as much as possible, the return is priceless.

View Dedvw's profile

Dedvw

#6 posted 12-07-2010 06:33 AM

Awesome tip, thanks.

View ken_c's profile

ken_c

#7 posted 12-07-2010 06:14 PM

I just cleaned mine, a sponge, a tooth brush and some dish soap and warm water…

#8 posted 12-07-2010 10:17 PM

Dusty –
I didn’t notice a particular odor with the Simple Green Pro HD.
cheers

View Howie's profile

Howie

#9 posted 12-08-2010 02:34 AM

Thanks for the tip. I use SG to clean some things with(good stuff) but I will get some purple for the saw blades.

-- Life is good.

View reggiek's profile

reggiek

2240 posts in 1921 days

#10 posted 12-08-2010 02:46 AM

Great tip….I had not thought of SG because of the problem on carbides. I’ll have to get some to how it works on router bits.

I use the SG regular as an ant killer/repellent around my house and shop – I get it mostly for cleaning….but found it to be a real ant deterrant (they hate the stuff – and won’t go near places it has been used)....and since it is non toxic….it can even be used on kitchen counters, food areas…etc.

-- Woodworking.....My small slice of heaven!

View Splinterman's profile

Splinterman

23058 posts in 2012 days

#11 posted 12-08-2010 09:11 AM

Hey Reggiek,
Now thats a cool tip about SG and the ants….good one.

View daltxguy's profile

daltxguy

#12 posted 12-08-2010 12:38 PM

wood ashes also works really well

-- If you can't joint it, bead it!

#13 posted 12-08-2010 12:43 PM

I cannot stand the smell of the “normal” SG.
It makes me sick.
I have used pure ammonia, curiously enough I do not mind the smell of ammonia.

#14 posted 12-08-2010 07:18 PM

LOL my wife hates the smell as well. I like it. I’ll have to try this out. I have been using Krud Kutter from HD and it works great. But always on the look out for a good blade cleaner.

View Jesse's profile

Jesse

#15 posted 12-16-2010 07:23 PM

I just tried this stuff a few nights ago. Worked amazing!

Thanks for the tip