Makita LS1013 Dual Slide Compound 10-inch Miter Saw Review

Review by Kevin posted 12-06-2010 06:27 AM 8434 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Makita LS1013 Dual Slide Compound 10-inch Miter Saw Review Makita LS1013 Dual Slide Compound 10-inch Miter Saw Review Makita LS1013 Dual Slide Compound 10-inch Miter Saw Review Click the pictures to enlarge them

01. shipping
I ordered this from reconditionedsales.com
Packaging was pretty normal, like the standard for this type of tool. Huge box to say the least. Ordered on a Friday and received the saw on a Tuesday morning with regular UPS shipping.

02. hardware list
Everything was in the box. Box looked like it was new. This was however a reconditioned miter saw, but I could not tell it at all.

03. assembling
Easy, not much to do.

04. tuning and adjusting
Adjusted the insert throat on each side to give a zero clearance insert. I will make my own zero clearance insert soon though.

Had to align one of the fence by just a hair. It was pretty much dead on to begin with, but I have to make sure I get it as exact as possible when tuning.

05. customer support
Haven’t had to contact support.

06. conclusion
This saw is so quite it’s amazing. The stock blade actually peforms really well. I was surprised how good it cut. Orginally I was looking at the Bosch and DeWalt miter saws. I was pretty much dead set on buying
one of those until I got a few recommendations and read some reviews on the Makita. I could not actually go into a store and look at it though. I made the purchase, bought it for 350 or so I think which I thought
was a really good deal. It slides extremely smooth when cutting and switching to another angle stop. Having used a Delta and an Old B&D 10” this is a mercades compared to them.

07. 1 Year Conclusion
I’ve used this for a year now, cutting mdf, hdf, rough wood and trim. I now can tell that I am in the market for a new blade. After a year this saw still peforms like it did when I first bought it, except for the
blade that is. I’ve put the stock blade through a lot of abuse to say the least.

I’m really glad that I decided to go with Makita instead of DeWalt or Bosch.

Here is a link at amazon with other reviews.

View gb_ibmguy's profile

gb_ibmguy

#1 posted 12-06-2010 03:22 PM

Nice review!

I just picked up the new version of this saw (LS1016L) and must say I am impressed as well. Excellent blade and superb accuracy.

GB

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#2 posted 12-06-2010 03:33 PM

I’ve used one of these for several years. It’s a very good saw. IMO, it’s only real weakness is the low fence. I corrected that by attaching boards to the fence.

My other unsatisfied want is the ability to tilt the blade for a compound cut from the front of the saw. Of course, very few miter saws have this feature.

#3 posted 12-06-2010 04:11 PM

Thanks GB. I should have put up a review a long time ago, but let it slip somehow.

Rich, I have to agree that the low fence is a slight weakness. Not sure if I mentioned that or not, but I noticed that before I bought it and was wondering how much I was going to dislike it. So far I haven’t attached a zero clearance board to the fence yet, but someday i’m sure I will.

View ellen35's profile

ellen35

#4 posted 12-06-2010 06:26 PM

I too have had one for a couple of years now. Great saw. I agree with Rich… I have added boards to the fence to raise it too.
I don’t much care for the blade.

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire

View Drew's profile

Drew

#5 posted 12-06-2010 07:21 PM

I have the same saw. I use it everyday. I agree with everything said above.

Great saw, down side? Low fences, bevel adjustment is in the back. Only bevels to 45 degrees and the miter angle marker is in a really bad spot.
Other then that stuff the saw just works! Soft start is a MUST HAVE for me too.

btw, the 3rd picture looks an awful lot like a 1016!

-- That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.” ― Aldous Huxley

#6 posted 12-06-2010 07:46 PM

Johnny is correct, that is a 1016, but I needed another pic to add for now. I’m going to replace it with pics of mine in the shop once it stops snowing.

#7 posted 12-07-2010 05:36 AM

Right on there deke about the dust collection. I’m going to build a shroud that I saw in a shopnotes magazine. The Makita 1013 was on the front cover if i’m not mistaking with a shroud. At least that will start to direct some of the dust in a direction :)

Have you checked out reconditionedsales.com ? Not sure if you like refurbished or buying online, but they got some heck of some deals. Bought 2-3 things off them including the Makita.

#8 posted 12-07-2010 07:13 AM

Hey Deke, yeah some things i’ve bought was actually better reconditioned than new because of some of the parts they replaced or what not. On a side note I bought a refurb Denon AVR Home Receiver which retailed for 1200.00 for 450.00 at www.dakmart.com back in 2003 and i’m still using it. My 3 sony receivers didn’t last this long combined. I’ve been buying reconditioned tools when I get a chance as long as I think the site is trustworthy or the company for that matter.

Yes, that’s probably what needs to happen. Some of the lower end models just incorporate a dust collection method of some sort, won’t be the best, but it would be a step in the right direction for the end consumer.

I wouldn’t complain either. I made out my list for my Aunt, she goes to Lowes and just hands them my list. Basically just put more clamps, a CMT 80T blade and a few other small items on it. Don’t want to break the bank on her :)