Garbage bits

Review by Drew posted 12-06-2010 03:56 AM 2078 views 0 times favorited 20 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Garbage bits No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought these bits as I was walking out the door of Lowe’s, remembering I was out. Unfortunately Lowe’s doesn’t carry Irwin, so I bought these. I broke 4 of them the first hour of my work day.

These bits are ok in a cordless drill, but a joke in an impact.

2 stars.
Pros, they fit nice.

Cons, worthless in an impact.

Stick with Irwin or DeWalt.

View GaryL's profile

1094 posts in 1923 days

#1 posted 12-06-2010 04:00 AM

I usually beat the heck out of Dewalt bits. They seem to hold up well.

-- Gary; Marysville, MI...Involve your children in your projects as much as possible, the return is priceless.

View longgone's profile

#2 posted 12-06-2010 04:09 AM

Johnny, I find the same problem with the Bosch bits. I use the dewalt now…Bosch makes better power tools than the do bits. You would think their quality would carry over int all of their products.

#3 posted 12-06-2010 04:46 AM

I didn’t see anything on the label that stated that they were to be used with impact tools. After researching the item number that you gave , the bits are not for use with impact tools.
It’s kind of like using a regular socket on an impact gun and wondering why it broke.
There are companies out there that do make impact bits.
Also Milwaukee bits.

#4 posted 12-06-2010 04:53 AM

I have never seen anything on the Irwin or DeWalt bit either.

I have used a lot of different bits, drivers and what not in my impacts over the last 5 years or so. I do understand that it’s more stressful, but haven’t had any other major problems with anything else.

I wouldn’t waste my money on an “Impact ready” bit. Just won’t buy the Bosch bits again.

#5 posted 12-06-2010 05:11 AM

I understand what you’re saying , but you’re rating the Bosch bits as crap because you used them in a tool that they weren’t intended for. The impact bits are made completely different than the conventional bits are.

#6 posted 12-06-2010 05:30 AM

In my opinion they are junk. I used them the same way I have used several other brands, and these did not hold up AT ALL!

And just for the record, I use a LOT of my tools in ways they are NOT intended to be used.

I would also rate baking soda at 5 stars. Not because I like how well I can cook with it, but because of all the other things it does so well, but was not intended for.

#7 posted 12-06-2010 05:56 AM

Nevermind , I see that the intelligent thought process is being wasted here.

I was just trying to prevent a newbie from possibly losing an eye by using an incorrect bit in an impact application.
You can keep on doing it your way and I’ll continue to use the right tools for the job and review them accordingly.
Peace and happiness to you , and don’t forget to wear your safety glasses…or perhaps you use them to measure your baking soda with.

View thewoodmaster's profile

#8 posted 12-06-2010 06:13 AM

Impact ready bits are made of hardened steel, not the crap that china uses. I also don’t spend my money on the hardened steel products, but when the bits break, which they all do, I don’t cry about it. Just put another $.03 bit in your driver and move on. When you use the right product for the right purpose and it fails, then you can blog about it and maybe someone will heed your advice. Until then…

-- dan "insert pithy woodworking coment here"

View jim C's profile

jim C

#9 posted 12-06-2010 12:28 PM

woodmaster, I believe you meant to say you don’t spend your money on “impact ready bits” not “hardened bits”

ALL bits are hardened or if they were not, you couldn’t drive any screw even once.

The point is “impact ready” are probably made with hardened “S-7” tool steel, while “normal” bits are made from a H.S.S. (High Speed Steel) like “M-2”

Normal bits have a higher wear ratio, but impact ready take shock better, but tend to wear faster.
The Bosch are probably H.S.S. which cost more to manufacture, but last longer when normally used wthout impact.

#10 posted 12-06-2010 04:10 PM

Dusty, I think it is because I AM NOT a newbie, and actually a woodworker by trade, that I use my tools more aggressively then the average joe sitting in his shop.

Woodmaster, I’m not crying, just reviewing a product so other know that it might not be the best way to spend their money.

View HokieMojo's profile

#11 posted 12-06-2010 04:43 PM

I’m with Dusty. I bought a pack of dewalt bit labeled for use in an impact driver (after quickly wearing out a set that wasn’t labeled as such). They cost 2x as much. Unless it says they are for an impact driver, they aren’t. If you get lucky, good for you, but don’t penalize the company for that.

These would probably hold up just fine in an electric screwdriver which is what they were made for.

View ChuckC's profile

810 posts in 2028 days

#12 posted 12-06-2010 06:49 PM

It seems odd to report a poor review when a product isn’t used for what it was intended. It reminds me of other unfavorable reviews on this site where the high shipping cost took off a few stars??

It’s sort of like being upset that a Honda Civic struggles to tow a 30’ boat …

#13 posted 12-06-2010 07:01 PM

Well people, these bits are not as good as others. Therefore I rate them poorly.

If you want a good/ versatile phillips bit….... then don’t buy these!
I have never met anyone that specifically uses impact ready bits in there impacts. We all use regular bits. Why? because most of them work fine!

Chuck, I think you went a little ‘overboard’ with your analogy.

View chewbuddy13's profile

#14 posted 12-06-2010 09:54 PM

I am with the majority of the group. The product seems to work well for what is was intended, and not for an impact. But people, we are talking about something that costs about $2.

View ChesapeakeBob's profile

#15 posted 12-06-2010 11:32 PM

What a waste of time and space on this otherwise fine website.

-- Chesapeake Bob, Southern Maryland