Kawasaki Titanium Coated 99 piece set of drill bits

Review by TopamaxSurvivor posted 12-05-2010 09:20 AM 5775 views 0 times favorited 23 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Kawasaki Titanium Coated 99 piece set of drill bits No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Hello LJs,

I saw this Kawasaki Titanium Coated 99 piece set of drill bits a Costco for $19.99. Kawasaki? Drill bits? I knew they made motorcycles, but drill bits? Then I thought they must be good drills if Kawasaki made them. After all, my nephew rode their bikes to a national championship in Hound n’ Hare cross country desert racing on The Green Team ;-)) But I was still a bit leery. Costco doesn’t sell garbage, but $19.99 for 99 drill bits? There are a lot of small replacement for commonly broken sizes like 1/8, 3/16…… I bought them.

I had occasion to start using them when I discovered my 8-32 tap drill was missing. I chose one that was just under the screw size and started to drill the back of an electrical box. Nothing happened. I used quite a bit of pressure to finally get a hole. I broke 2 getting 4 holes drilled. My hand sharpening of old high speed twist drills cut better than those.

I think they would force their way through wood, but not cut cleanly. These drills are worthless, IMO. I have been using drill bits for over 40 years in the trade.

View AttainableApex's profile

AttainableApex

#1 posted 12-05-2010 10:06 AM

so you used it on metal?
did you try on wood?

-- Ben L

#2 posted 12-05-2010 11:30 AM

I had some others just as bad from another supplier. I relinquished them to set up guides as they were not suitable to drilling anything. As I mentioned above, they force their way through wood. They are typical twist drills with a universal point, not specifically wood drills.

View rtb's profile

rtb

#3 posted 12-05-2010 04:30 PM

A store near us started handling their power hand tool line, two years later they are no longer to be found, I bought a couple of them for my son and they turned out to be very inferior. I wonde if this is even the same company ?

-- RTB. stray animals are just looking for love

#4 posted 12-05-2010 04:36 PM

Thanks for the review. I’m no where near a Cosco so I guess I’m safe unless they show up at a store near me.

View Dautterguy's profile

Dautterguy

#5 posted 12-05-2010 04:44 PM

Take-em back. COSTCO will let you return anything except food products. We had a shed blown apart by some unusually high winds. We took back all the pieces we could round up, they returned our $$$.

#6 posted 12-05-2010 08:00 PM

Thanks for the warning !! I wonder if the multi piece brad point set that WoodCraft is offering on sale is any better ?

View ducky911's profile

ducky911

#7 posted 12-05-2010 10:20 PM

There should be a rating system for bits…i am a sucker for cheap bits….but you know you would have to wonder how good they are when they sell so many in each size.???

Bob

#8 posted 12-05-2010 10:39 PM

You are all welcome. I got the pic off Amazon, so I suppose they are everywhere. I would think Kawasaki would be taking action against infringement on their trade name if the product is not theirs. I suppose with the American consumer market in the toilet for the last 2 years, lots of companies will try new ventures to keep a cash flow. After all, many American States rank in the top 20 economies in the world.

I would not have taken the chance on them if it were not for the Costco return policy. You can bet they will get them back. If they are going to become a discount junk store, it will cost them in the long run, IMO.

I did get some Titanium unibits from Harbor Freight to try that turned out to be very good. I’ll review them if I haven’t already, but they are more of a metal working tool than wood. Not sure they are really appropriate. If I hear any input from here, maybe I’ll go with the flow on that. Thanks for the comments.

View docholladay's profile

docholladay

#9 posted 12-06-2010 05:54 AM

In my experience, most of these low cost bit sets are pretty much cheap chinese import junk. They are about the same as the sets that are sold at Harbor Freight.

FYI, Dusty 56 asks above about the Woodcraft set. I bought the Brad Point set and they are pretty useless. So far the ones that I have used have all been pretty dull right out of the case the first time. They will drill, but not very well.

Doc

-- Hey, woodworking ain't brain surgery. Just do something and keep trying till you get it. Doc

#10 posted 12-06-2010 05:59 AM

Thanks for the input , Doc : ) You just saved me $40 !

#11 posted 12-06-2010 05:59 AM

The first ones I mentioned I could not even sharpen to where they would drill. That is useless when you can’t even sharpen them. Wonder what they are made of cast iron ;-))

View jim C's profile

jim C

#12 posted 12-06-2010 04:10 PM

Here’s the problem folks.
Don’t buy any drills, reamers, forstner bits etc. unless it is stated H.S.S. (High Speed Steel). These coated products are labeled “carbon” steel that are nothing more than a standard steel with a hard coating about only .001 to .002 thickness. ALL steel has carbon, (except for better grades of stainless) so this is a misnomer sales tactic.It’s imported JUNK for the occasional homeowner/hobbiest !

As a test, take a metal machinist file and file the cutting tip. You will be able to. Now take a H.S.S. drill. It won’t even scratch the drill.

These imported drills might go through pine or cedar, but thats about it.

View mnguy's profile

mnguy

161 posts in 2053 days

#13 posted 12-06-2010 08:01 PM

I know all us Jocks appreciate a heads up on lousy products via reviews – thank you.

But, how can anyone reasonably expect drill bits that are being sold for $0.20 each to really be any good? Granted Costco handles close outs and odd lots sometimes, but when you are buying a tool for the cost of good raw materials, that’s a big warning sign that it’s crap.

Many folks on this website (not necessarily anyone posting on this specific thread) simultaneously pursue cheap products at Harbor Freight and big box stores while bemoaning how much stuff is made in China. Excuse me?

#14 posted 12-06-2010 10:14 PM

mnguy,

In a solely American economy, that would be a true and valid statement. You have to understand world trade and especially free trade which allows unlimited imports into the US and unlimited exports of jobs. It is not really trade, it is intra-corporation money and product shuffling. I believe a good product for that price can be made in China. Most of these products are no longer made in the US. Your choice is to find the good China priced products or pay obscene profits to shysters charging us for US made while providing China made.

How this works is a company moves its production facilities to China. They export the finished product to Indonesia which has literally no taxes on the corporation. They declare an obscene profit on the item. They ship the item to the US for retail sale. They do not make a profit here and may even declare a loss to take advantage of our generous tax laws and corporate welfare. You can say we have very high corporate tax rates which it true. But we have to lowest effective tax rates because nobody makes any money on the books to pay any taxes here. If they do, their corporate headquarters and tax basis is at a PO Box in the Cayman Islands. Again, they escape paying US taxes. In the last 30 years, most of our corps have moved their headquarters to one building full of PO boxes in Cayman Islands according to CBS 60 Minutes.

I used to think Harbor Freight only sold junk and the other brand names were progressively better. I have found that not to be true. Some of the brand names are no better than HF junk and in some cases lower in quality. Some of HF’s products are as good as you will find anywhere. Caveat Emptor, buyer beware!!

Two can play this game. The customer is always right and most retailers have generous return policies. When you see a outrageously good deal. Buy it. Try it, Keep it or take it back depending on whether or not it is China produced at a fair price or China Junk.

With that said, I prefer to buy US made at a fair price if I can find it, but since most of our production has been shipped to China along with most of the good paying, middle class, family wage jobs, that is increasing more and more difficult.

View lilredweldingrod's profile

lilredweldingrod

#15 posted 12-06-2010 10:32 PM

You would think a big company like Fastenall would sell a some what good product. I bought a set of 4 drills with the countersinks. The bits broke almost immediately. I went to Fastenall and ordered 10 each of the 4 sizes at $54.00. These expensive bits were no better than the original.

Are you ready for this…....Harbor Freight has their bits, 10 per pack at 1.98 and I’m still using them. Only one has broke so far. Go figure. This was 3 years ago. Maybe i should write a review on these. lol