Shop Fox D3118 Router Inlay Kit

Review by Dez posted 12-01-2010 11:22 PM 3134 views 2 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Shop Fox D3118 Router Inlay Kit No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

”Cut perfect inlays with this Inlay Kit and your shop-made template. Simply slide on the bushing to rout the cutout and then remove the bushing to cut the perfectly matched inlay. Includes a 1/8” solid carbide spiral cutter and alignment pin. Fits Porter CableĀ® routers and other routers with template guide adapters.”
Everything was there and fit my new Trend T4 just fine although there were two things that bothered me.

#1 – the alignment pin is 8mm! (not 1/4”), – I am glad the Trend came with the 8mm collet.

#2 – the alignment pin would not fit the template guide! It was too big by 5 thousands.
I rectified this by chucking the alignment pin in the router and set the speed towards the low end and used a fine file to turn the pin down until it just slid into the guide.

Although I am not totally dissatisfied with this kit, I really thought Shop Fox would have a little better Q.C.
I notified the vendor as an FYI, I did not ask for a replacement as everything is working fine now.

-- Folly ever comes cloaked in opportunity!

View Dez's profile

Dez

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#1 posted 12-01-2010 11:54 PM

I have one of these and I have not had very good luck with it. Maybe I’m not doing something right.

It’s pretty easy to cut our the hole that you will place the inlay into. However, when trying to cut the inlay, I have a lot of trouble controlling the router to give me a clean, accurate cut.

I’ve essentially given up.

View shipwright's profile

shipwright

#2 posted 12-02-2010 12:04 AM

No idea who made mine but all the inlay projects I’ve posted here were made with one of these. The tricky part is that one piece, field or inlay is protected by the pattern and the other is not. This second one should be the less critical if you can arrange it that way. They have limitations like tight inside corners, but for what they are and what they cost you can do a lot with them. I did a blog on my somewhat unconventional method of using them.

-- Paul M ..............If God wanted us to have fiberglass boats he would have given us fiberglass trees. http://prmdesigns.com/

View woodworkerscott's profile

woodworkerscott

#3 posted 12-02-2010 07:09 AM

MLCS makes a great one for the money and is reliable, backed with great customer service. Give it a try.

-- " 'woodworker'.....it's a good word, an honest word." - Sam Maloof

View Joedcatman's profile

Joedcatman

#4 posted 12-02-2010 08:21 AM

Way to go Dez! You just figured it out for me. I’ve been driving myself nuts trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. Thank you – thank you – thank you….

-- JoeR Nothing that I could make will ever be perfect but I'll use it anyway.

View rance's profile

rance

#5 posted 12-02-2010 02:27 PM

Rich, One thing to possibly help you when cutting your inlay would be to use a climb cut (clockwise around your template). By doing this, the bushing is more likely to stay pressed up against the template.

-- Backer boards, stop blocks, build oversized, and never buy a hand plane--

#6 posted 12-02-2010 07:52 PM

Rance-
I agree that clockwise is the way to go when routing inside a template or frame. However, this is not a climb cut. A climb cut will pull the router along, and can be dangerous unless you are only removing a tiny amount of wood. The router rules I live by are “counterclockwise end grain first, unless you are inside a frame then clockwise” I find that is an easier way to remember it than left to right.

View rance's profile

rance

#7 posted 12-02-2010 09:50 PM

Well, sortof. :) You end up with sortof a climb on the side of the inlay. Important to know with regard to grain direction. But yeah, technically, you are right. :)

-- Backer boards, stop blocks, build oversized, and never buy a hand plane--

View Howie's profile

Howie

#8 posted 12-02-2010 11:41 PM

I bought mine at HF and it works fine. Looks like the same thing.(fits my T4)The inlay on the boxes in my projects was done with this.

-- Life is good.

View mafe's profile

mafe

#9 posted 12-03-2010 11:36 AM

Thank you for the review.
Best thoughts,