I love it, but in a few years, look for it on eBay.

Review by MoreWoodPlease posted 11-28-2010 03:48 PM 7073 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
I love it, but in a few years, look for it on eBay. I love it, but in a few years, look for it on eBay. I love it, but in a few years, look for it on eBay. Click the pictures to enlarge them

Did some turnings, so I’m ready for a review.

The wife one day was looking through one of the mired of catalogs we get in the mail, and came across a cherry bowl for $300.00. She then proclaimed, “You can make that!”. There’s the buzzer, and their off! A green lite to buy tools!!!
As it happened, Grizzly was putting on their “Tent Sale” in two weeks. I planned a weekend around it. With a stop at Hershey Park. The wife loved it, because well, she loves chocolate. Sometimes, this is the length we must go to in acquiring a new set of tools.

Anyhow, the tent sale was disappointing. The lathes that were left, were missing parts, parts broken, no paperwork, ect.. I learned that you must get to the Grizzly Tent sales early.

I ventured inside, and low and behold, a lathe demonstration was in progress. A really nice guy was giving a class on turning bowls. This of course sealed the deal.

Grizzly had that lathe on sale for $475.00. Since I was there, I saved on shipping. After the loading of a brand new G0462, we were off to Hershey Park.

Its been a month now, and I have turned a bunch of scrap for practice, one bowl, and a couple of wine stoppers as pictured above.

Whew, now for the review. I do love the lathe. It may be somewhat because I seem to love turning. Turning is a very natural skill. Of course, to turn safely, and to make usable, beautiful objects, a course of study is required. That being said, wine bottle stoppers are a great starting point. They are easy, and people absolutely love them as gifts. They do say, in a recession, the liquor stores and bars are still busy.

After running a dedicated 20 amp circuit, I bolted the lathe to the garage floor, and changed the stock belt to a “Link-Belt”. Both reducing vibration to a minimal. To be honest, I don’t know what a OneWay lathe is like, I have only owned an old Rockwell-Beaver lathe, and have only that to compare.

Speed changes are easy, but you need the link belt. A standard belt will quickly get chewed up by the variable pulleys. Its just physics. Other reviews of the belt problem seem to overlook this. Yes, maybe Grizzly should provide the link belt from the start, but for $475 bucks, I can spend the $16 for two feet of link belt.

The headstock and tail-stock points line up to within a 100th. Acceptable. I can imagine this only being a problem if I am turning a floor lamp, and have a drill bit three feet long.

The lathe is heavy, cast, and easy to assemble. Also Grizzly used the “more standard” #2 MT, and 1” x 8tpi. Both make it easy to buy accessories.

So far, 2hp seems to be plenty of power for what I can foresee me tackling in the near future. I also like that the late is much higher than my old Rockwell. Easier on the back.

Now, why the eBay comment in the title? The fit and finish on Grizzly tools is minimal. Don’t get me wrong, I have a Grizzly Jointer, cabinet Table Saw, dust collector, and many smaller tools and accessories for the same. All of which I could not afford if I only bought a single tool from one of the “prized” names I see on lumberjocks. I now have a well equipped wood shop, for the price of a single OneWay lathe.

I firmly believe, and my father taught me, never to blame the tools. With machinery, setup is vital, and you can take an average lathe, like the G0462, add a link belt and new live center, and end up with a lathe than can handle anything for years. And there is the rub. I think that this lathe will ware belts and pulleys in the years to come, and out of frustration, I will purchase a Powermatic, that is, if I am still this excited about turning.

Bottom line, for $475.00, no S&H, you really can’t beat this lathe. Even with the $98 bucks for shipping, its still a great lathe. Bear in mind, no lathe comes with all the other stuff you will need. HSS turning tools, a jaw chuck, grinder with Norton wheels, grinding jigs, specialty chucks for lets say wine stoppers, hones, and the list goes on.

I hope this review helps someone. Thank you for reading, and a special thanks to that catalog with the $300.00 bowl.

Happy Holidays to all the great LJ’s.

View Jamie Speirs's profile

Jamie Speirs

#1 posted 11-28-2010 03:57 PM

Great review.
You want to get rid of that 10th inch.
When you do fine shear cuts it will make a difference. :)

Jamie

-- Who is the happiest of men? He who values the merits of others, and in their pleasure takes joy, even as though 'twere his own. --Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

#2 posted 11-28-2010 04:22 PM

Thanks for the review. I have always had a great deal of respect for both the tools that Grizzly produces and its customer service as well. Having a lathe deprived shop is one of the things that I intend to correct. A lathe is high on my wish list and this review has been quite a bit of help. It sounds like you are definitely having fun with this one.

To tell the truth I think that a lot of our wives think along the same lines. I don’t know how many times I have heard “you can build that” as you did. Now if only we can convince them that just because Norm can turn out an entertainment center on a 30 minute show that this is not the “norm”. :)

#3 posted 11-28-2010 04:23 PM

Thanks Jamie for heads up.
Ya scared me. I immediately ran down to the shop to put a caliper on it. Cleaned the bed, under the headstock, under the tail-stock. Whew, only about a 100th. Hopefully that will do it.

View Jamie Speirs's profile

Jamie Speirs

#4 posted 11-28-2010 04:30 PM

LoL I can imagine. 100th is good.
Sorry about that.

Jamie

View jobott's profile

jobott

#5 posted 11-28-2010 06:44 PM

Having thought about going to the sale and living in ny as you do, I was wondering when you bought the lathe, did you get charged. Pennsylvania sales Tax? Its oone of the reasons I haven’t gone to a tent sale yet.

-- Joe B

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#6 posted 11-28-2010 09:30 PM

I own the same lathe and I wrote a review on it some time ago. I agree with all your observations and comments.

I did not use a link-belt but I quickly replaced the original belt with a standard 3L240 V-belt. It works much better. The original belt is worthless.

Advice – - If you ever want to change the tool rest, the hole in the banjo is 25 mm. 25 mm is very slightly smaller than 1 inch and you cannot get a 1 inch shaft into a 25 mm hole. I learned that the hard way. This really limits your options on upgrading the tool rest. I’ve not done it but I have considered taking it to a machine shop and having them bore that hole out to a full 1 inch.

This really is an incredibly good lathe for the price.

#7 posted 11-28-2010 11:35 PM

To JOBott: Yes, they did charge the PA sales tax, just in case the IRS is also a LumberJock. However, compared to Long Island, everywhere else seems cheeper, so I did not even notice it.

To Rich Greer: Thank you. You saved me at least a hundred bucks. I guess the option is to buy a new banjo with a rest, and use the original lower lock plate so it fits this bed.

Since I wrote this review this morning, I turned three more wine stoppers. I think I’m hooked.

View ncdon's profile

ncdon

#8 posted 11-29-2010 06:11 PM

Thanks for the great review. I really need to upgrade my Jet Mini and now I am really looking at the Griz.
A word of warning though. Pens and segmented bowls are an addiction without a cure.
Good luck and good turning.

-- Don, North Carolina,http://www.ncdon.com Working full time at retired.

View Lochlainn1066's profile

Lochlainn1066

#9 posted 12-01-2010 03:53 AM

I also own this lathe and have written a review. You’re spot on.

Also note that shortening the link belt will allow you to drop your low end speed a couple of 100 rpms. Very handy for rough turning bowls.

And Rich’s point about 25mm vs. 1” for the banjo is also right on. So few companies offer the 25mm I wish they would just go to a 1”.

I also wish they would lower the price and get rid of the speed indicator. It’s flimsy, wobbles, and mine doesn’t work (didn’t tighten the ring when replacing the spindle) and I don’t miss it.

-- Nate, thegaragestudio.etsy.com

View michelletwo's profile

michelletwo

#10 posted 02-19-2011 01:23 PM

interesting review..I have a 20+ yr old grizzly with variable pullys..I’ve used the lathe just about everyday for 20 yrs..I have never replaced the belt. Apparantly physics don’t apply at my house. Can’t complain about my lathe

-- We call the destruction of replaceable human made items vandalism, while the destruction of irreplaceable natural resources is called development.

View Owlcroft's profile

Owlcroft

#11 posted 10-07-2011 06:56 AM

I am new to wood turning and interested in the G0462. Lochlainn1066 gave me the information I needed to make the decision. My main concern was being able to turn rough bowl blanks at low speeds. One of the 1st things I will do is purchase 2 link belts, one for standard turning and one I will shorten for turning rough bowl blanks.

Like many of those that commented on this lathe I have had nothing but good experience with Grizzly tools. The iceing on the cake is their great Customer Service.

-- Owlcroft

View cdzgardener's profile

cdzgardener

#12 posted 03-02-2012 07:35 PM

Good review. My introduction to the wood lathe took place back in 1964 at Penn Brook Junior High school near North Wales Pa.My memory is still very good so when I purchased my GO462 I was right back in junior high.Owning a wood lathe takes my shop capabilities to a whole other level.Now I can turn newel posts and balusters and bowls lots of bowls.I got this lathe for two reasons,the first is I can chuck up 43 inch stock which I used to make an 7×43 inch octagonal newel post which now resides in a home in Chatham N.J. The second was to turn bowls and this lathe may not be a one way or a vicmarc or a Powermatic but I can buy 8 new 462 for their high price and still have fun along the way.It is a poor workman that blames his tools my carpentry mentor use to say so with that in mind I dare say that tool technique is far more important to a apprentice turner than paying 7000 for a new Vicmarc all the way from Australia.My only beef with this lathe is the clamshell pot metal pulley on the motor side,be careful when changing the belt they will break right before you eyes.The belt had close to 1000 hours on it before I changed it but what is seven bucks these days.When this wears out I will buy another 462. I love my lathe and try to turn at least 2 hours a day on it just to stay sharp

-- chucky