Great planer for a small shop

Review by SonnyGarcia posted 1341 days ago 3119 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great planer for a small shop No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased this at sears a couple years ago and love it. No complaints at all. It is 13” wide, it can take hard wood well, cuts well and has a sturdy frame. The lowering top is also a neat design that makes use easy. It features an easy to read ruler on the side and has preset widths to make your planning easy. I highly recommend this to all.

If you want to take it to a job site, you can. It is about 100 lbs. But is a bit akward to carry by yourself, although I have done it many times.

-- "Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed", John 8:36

i have a 12 5/16” ryobi
and a 20” grizzly

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

Good review. There is no doubt that this is a very good planer. I’ve never heard a bad thing said about it except the price.

IMO – the cheaper brother of this planer, the DW734, is also a very good planer and, from my experience, it is a perfectly acceptable planer at a more modest price. For most people the question is – is the extra cost of the 735 worth it relative to the 734. Prices vary but, in general, the 735 is usually $200 – $300 more than the 734 (after you buy the necessary extension wings for the 735).

I have a DW 733 (predecessor to the 734 with only 2 blades instead of 3) that has served me well for over 10 years. If it ever wears out I will probably buy a 734.

View Julian's profile

Julian

I have had my dw735 for over 5 years now and I still love it. It works like a tool should, with no fuss setting it up and it does what it was designed to do, plane wood.

-- Julian, Park Forest, IL

View TomRetired's profile

TomRetired

I have been using the 735 for a year now with no problems. Knives are still sharp and with the extension wings rarely get any snip. Overall a very good buy.

-- No matter how much money you have, you can't buy time, Retire Early.....TomRetired

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

Great review!

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

I have its little brother as well and Love it! Great review Thx

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

The only thing I’ve read is that … a good set (DeWalt or otherwise) of in and out-feed tables make a BIG difference, with the DW735, in bringing snipe down to almost nothing.

But … yeah … this one’s the best in its class, most say :-)

-- -- Neil

View CryptKeeper's profile

CryptKeeper

I’ve owned the DW735 for a couple of years now and have zero complaints. I am not sure if it has changed or not but when I purchased mine it did not come with in / out feed wings and the ones I’ve see are fairly short.

To over come this I used a piece of laminated 3/4 MDF cut 12-1/2” wide x 8 feet long. Inserting the MDF through the planer with a couple of T-blocks to level it out makes a great in feed / out feed solution and it stores easily without eating up valuable floor space.

-- Ron - Any day that I don't learn something new is a wasted day.

View Howie's profile

Howie

I’ve had my 735 for over 5 years also. Only complaint is like all Dewalt stuff the replacement blades are a bit pricey. I’ve used it a lot on all kinds of wood and it’s always done a good job.
After reading “Catos” review on the Wixey readout a couple of weeks ago I bought one. It was easy to install and dead on, wish I had got one sooner. I’d recommend that also.
I have the extention wings but do not always use them. I was lucky, the guy in the tool department at Lowes told me they were on sale and I bought them real reasonable.

-- Life is good.

View zoohoot's profile

zoohoot

8 posts in 1964 days

Unfortunately my experience with this planer has been very different. I have had problems with the blades chipping very quickly and the screws that hold the blades strip easily. Many of the online store reviewers seem to also have problems with the blades.