Never liked holes in my pockets- UNTIL NOW!

Review by StumpyNubs posted 11-25-2010 07:58 PM 6315 views 2 times favorited 31 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Never liked holes in my pockets- UNTIL NOW! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve always called Harbor Freight “God’s gift to men” and since there’s been a bit of hubub about this tool paradise on this site recently I thought I’d post some reviews of my favorite HF Gems…

This one I just bought TODAY and I already can see that it is among the best tools in the store! For one thing, this thing is extremely well made! That isn’t always the case at HF… ok… I suppose it is RARELY the case. But if you had this jig setting alongside the Kreig version, I guarentee you’d pick this one up to examine first. Why? Because it really looks great. While the $100 Krieg jig is mostly plastic, this is all aluminum. And I don’t mean that crappy cast aluminum. This is precision machined aluminum, and may be the only thing harbor Freight ever sold that is truely well made in every way.

The design is also very well executed. The heart of it are the guide holes, of course. There are two sets of two so you can drill a pair side by side in your piece. One set is at a steep angle for 1/2 to 1” thick material, the other set of guide holes is at a lower angle for thicker material. you can move the hole guides to adjust how far apart you want them using nicely etched measuring marks so no ruler is needed. Lock them in place with the knob and use the very nice, heavy duty hold down clamp to secure your piece and you’re ready to drill.

The bit is included as are a bunch of screws. Another nice feature is that you can remove the hole guide assembly from the stand and clamp it to large parts that the stand won’t accomodate.

Bottom line is- this Jig is WELL worth the price of $55 with a 25% off coupon (found regularly in woodworking magazines) and may even be better in many ways than the twice as expensive Krieg jig.

That’s my two cents…

View DragonLady's profile

DragonLady

#1 posted 11-25-2010 08:29 PM

Thanks for this review! I’ve been disappointed when I have come across pocket holes in plans I want to build, because I had no way of making them.

Might just spring for this!

-- A woman's work is never done-but power tools help!

View nmkidd's profile

nmkidd

758 posts in 1925 days

#2 posted 11-25-2010 08:55 PM

I always have holes in my pocket….......probably the reason I don’t have a jig like this!!!

Thanks for the insight

-- Doug, New Mexico.......the only stupid question is one that is never asked!........don't fix it, if it ain't broke!

View BigTiny's profile

BigTiny

#3 posted 11-25-2010 09:30 PM

I’ve been thinking of making my own, but if I can find one of those coupons, I may get lazy…

-- The nicer the nice, the higher the price!

View wwbob's profile

wwbob

#4 posted 11-25-2010 09:33 PM

Are replacement bits available? Are the holes compatible with Kreg screws? Sounds like almost too good a deal to pass up.

Thanks for good find and the info.

-- "I like the quiet I hear." - Channing, age 4

#5 posted 11-25-2010 11:39 PM

Great review. Nice job. I’ll need to look for this jig the next time I’m there.

#6 posted 11-26-2010 01:30 AM

wwbob- I was thinking of buying some Krieg screws to see if they were compatable. I also thought I’d might get a Krieg replacement bit to see if it fits as well. My guess is that they will.

View MarkwithaK's profile

MarkwithaK

370 posts in 1930 days

#7 posted 11-26-2010 05:32 AM

Looks like a beefy design but one thing that make me wonder is the guide holes. The Kreg are steel and I imagine would eventually wear down over the years….If these are the same then awesome but if they are aluminum I would be concerned.

-- If at first you don't succeed then maybe skydiving isn't for you.

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

#8 posted 11-26-2010 05:35 AM

The list of Gems at HF is growing.
you can find the 20-25% coupons in the back of the woodworking magz.

-- Router è ancora il mio nome.

View Bob Kollman's profile

Bob Kollman

1797 posts in 1943 days

#9 posted 11-26-2010 09:16 AM

Mark is right, if the harborfreight jig has no steel bushings it will
get chewed up pretty quick by the drill. Jim, are there steel
bushings on the inside of this jig??? If not it will die a fast and certain
death.

-- Bob Kenosha Wi.

#10 posted 11-26-2010 09:20 AM

Yes, there are steel bushings in the holes, so no problem there!

View ed220's profile

ed220

#11 posted 11-26-2010 04:00 PM

Good review Jim. I do alot of pocket hole joinery and it would be interesting to put it up against a Kreg.

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#12 posted 11-26-2010 04:03 PM

Thanks for the review. I’m a long time Kreg user. IMO, the most important thing Kreg gives us is their screws. Those screws are great! Does HF offer “Kreg-like” screws? As much as a like the Kreg screws, they are expensive and maybe the HF version would be cheaper.

#13 posted 11-26-2010 07:31 PM

While the jig itself seems just as good as Krieg (It is aluminum, but modern plastics are just as durable so the material is simply a matter of preferance) I have yet to decide if the bit and screws are as good. If not, I think it will easily take the Krieg versions leaving me with a very well built jig at a still significant discount.

View Bob Kollman's profile

Bob Kollman

1797 posts in 1943 days

#14 posted 11-26-2010 11:34 PM

sounds like an excellent buy-half the price of my kreg….Jim, you also have an ecellent shop!!!!

-- Bob Kenosha Wi.