Yet another time wasted disappointment.

Review by Routerisstillmyname posted 1343 days ago 2105 views 0 times favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Yet another time wasted disappointment.  Yet another time wasted disappointment.  Yet another time wasted disappointment.  Click the pictures to enlarge them

Here we go again. This 6 inch capacity SO CALLED self-centering jig from TASK-USA or Telco tools is another example of lousy workmanship.
Another so called made in the USA centering jig that’s off by unacceptable tolerances.
If I wanted this kind of inaccuracy, I would use the drill press witout my glasses.
They claim their jig is within 10000 –5000 tolerance, I guess they need to get back to school or learn to use a calculator. 10000 is = 0.0001 and 5000 = 0.0002.
My measurement shows 1/100 =0.01. sad part is, they didn’t even attempt to replace the unit claiming all their jigs are like this and are within tolerances.
Even harbor freight was more accurate than this. Well, I give up. the retailer at (eagleamerica.com) told me they tested few more of these and there was no point in sending me a replacement since the other ones they had in stock were ever more off then the one they sent me. funny thing is they even raised the price.
Save your cash and buy made in china. It’s all same junk!!

View AaronK's profile

AaronK

1389 posts in 2067 days

any idea of the cause of this? is it backlash in the screw mechanism for example? anyway, thanks for t helpful review!

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

I appreciate the review but I can’t afford things like this anyways nor do I have room for all of these kinds of things in my small shp. I have found that one of the easiest ways to find the center is to simply use a metric ruler. With a ruler laid out in millimeters you can find the center in seconds.

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

I have no idea what you are measurng.
It’s obvious that the holes in your wood are off center but is it the clamp or the drill guide that’s off?
The pic of the holes in the wood suggest you are out way more than a few thousandths.
Does the device close properly?
It could be mis threaded.

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner

Routerisstillmyname

The holes in the wood are off center because the holes in the jig are off / tapped to side and not 100% centered. What’s being measured here is that each hole is off by 1/100.
If holes were centered and within claimed specs, then the reading would be 0.0001 on each side of the holes.
Maybe ok if you spent 9$ @ harbor freight but not when you spend 70$.
The jig is not even close to claimed 10000-5000 accuracy.
Bo matter, it’s going back.

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

Have to agree that the selling price is way too much.
I have a Harbor Freight jig and that is fine for the rough stuff but if I were serious about accuracy I would opt for the Dowemax and cry once.
p.s. at $70.00 the centering bar should be cut dead center.

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner

View jim C's profile

jim C

Your calipers are measuring .096 on one side and .086 on the other side.
This means the hole is off center of the bar by only .005 (Not good, not bad)
The wood in the last picture shows the holes off center by about 1/16th (.062)
I think you are setting it up incorrectly or there are other issues at play.

0.096-0.86=0.01 = 1/100

View swirt's profile

swirt

1935 posts in 1575 days

Looking at it that way is doubling the error. It is off from center (the hole in the metal) by only .005” Clearly there is some other error in the positioning due to the threads or the clamp face.

-- Galootish log blog, http://www.timberframe-tools.com

View Pimzedd's profile

Pimzedd

I’m confused. .010 is ten thousandths. That is equal to the thickness of about 2 or 3 sheets of printer paper. The photos of the wood shows a LOT more than that. Something doesn’t add up.

-- Bill - Mesquite, TX --- "Everything with a power cord eventually winds up in the trash.” John Sarge , timber framer and blacksmith instructor at Tillers International school

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

The 2 caliper readings of the jig you posted show a total error of 0.010” which is 10/1000”. this means that the actual off-centering error is (divided by 2) 0.005” which is 5/1000” which is exactly within their claimed tolerance (5000). (think of it this way – if you’d move the hole 0.005” to the side, both readings would be the same)

That aside – the actual holes in the board you posted a pic of look to be off centered by more than what the jig error is – so either the holes in the jig are drilled at an angle and not perpendicular to the jig, or something else is going on there.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

Routerisstillmyname

Well, the holes are tapped for screw on bushings. and they are not perfectly perpendicular. when the bushings are screwed in, they don’t appear to be 100% centered. so that adds some more error and then there’s the center adjustment screw that’s probable slightly off. and all bushings as a matter of necessity will have some space for the drill bit to spin so that’s another few thousand. at the end it all adds up. now, there are number of ways you could compensate for some of these errors. for instance you could add shims to one side and realign the center screw and it would tighten the specs. but that’s not the point.

I have a harbor-freight jig with replaceable bushing that I paid about 9.0$ for and admittedly, I had to open and look at few at the store before I found one that the holes looked centered and that thing is more accurate than this. the only drawback is it does not have 6 inch capacity.

I also have a dowel-it 1000 @ 2 inch capacity and which has no screw in bushing I purchased almost two decades ago( back when quality counted) that was dead on and I still use it.

View sidestepmcgee's profile

sidestepmcgee

Thats a shame,I bought one about 4 years ago back before I ever dreamed of owning a drill press.However mine works great and is dead on many projects later,and I still use time to time.That stinks that it costs so much more now and is basically useless.Without these reviews we wouldn’t know when a product goes from bad to worse.

-- eric post, tallahassee FL

View smitty22's profile

smitty22

Thanks Router…, I was about to order one of these when a I stumbled across your review.
I’ll continue my search for an affordable dowel jig!

-- Smitty

Routerisstillmyname

Given that all these look close in quality, I picked up a HB jig and after cleaning out ton of grease, I recalibrate it and have a solid jig for under 10 dollars. and the good news is, it will open up to 2 inches.

View Ben Simms's profile

Ben Simms

I must agree with jim C, swirt, Pimzedd, and PurpLev, regarding the tollarance issue. The bore is off by 0.005”

As Pimzedd pointed out that’s a much smaller error then we see on your test board.

I just got my “Task, Premium Doweling Jig” the other day and it works great. The holes are precisely centered on all my test boards and it works beautifully.

What I did notice on my dowel jig was a screw in collar and an Allen set screw on the opposite side of the “T” handle. I loosened the set screw and was able to intentionally adjust the jig in either direction off center, which is a cool feature but might cause some confusion if not understood (Pictures).

Check to see if you have the same adjustment capability, this might be the cause of your issue.

-- I played with Legos as a kid and I never had the part I thought I needed, so I learned to improvise. Now I'm an engineer with a woodworking hobby.