Rare Earth Magnets for 15 cents each!

Review by StumpyNubs posted 1375 days ago 3541 views 0 times favorited 22 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Rare Earth Magnets for 15 cents each! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Rare earth magnets have unlimited uses in the shop. I’ve seen more plans than I can count using these little things in woodworking magazines, so when I saw them in Harbor Freight today I grabbed a pack.

Of course there’s not much to say about them, they work like any other rare earth magnets, hard to pull apart and dangerous to swallow. The difference is that the Harbor Freight ones are a buck and a half for ten of them! They’re 5/16” round, the ideal size for most projects.

If you have a store near you, they’re worth buying a pack so you have some on hand next time you need one!

Here’s the link to the website- they’re on sale right now for $1.50, the regular price is still cheap at $1.99.

View StumpyNubs's profile

StumpyNubs

My local store can’t keep enough in stock and they won’t set any aside even after offering to pay for them in advance ! : (
They claim that they never know if or when they’ll be getting another shipment because they can’t order what they need and only get what the warehouses ship to them …kind of a crazy way to run a business : (
Ordering them online isn’t very cost effective , plus I still have to pay the Governor ! LOL

Shipping Method Cost
Standard Ground (3-7 Business Days) $6.99
Express (2 Business Days) $14.00
Premium (1 Business Day) $27.00

View Roger Clark aka Rex's profile

Roger Clark aka Rex

6940 posts in 2067 days

That’s an attractive price Jim.

-- Roger-R, Republic of Texas. "Always look on the Bright Side of Life" - An eyeball to eyeball confrontation with a blind person is as complete waste of Time.

View depictureboy's profile

depictureboy

yep, just ordered 2 packs of them with my 23gauge nailer…grand total? 30 bucks with shipping..

-- If you can't build it, code it. If you can't code it, build it. But always ALWAYS take a picture.

View Greg..the Cajun  Box Sculptor's profile (online now)

Greg..the Cajun Box Sculptor

5015 posts in 1941 days

They are definitely a good deal. I bought all they had in the local Harbor Freight store a few months ago when I ran across them. They are cheap enough and I know they will eventually get used.

I use these all over the shop. Allen wrenches, washers. and tool acc. that needs to stay with tool.

View GaryL's profile

GaryL

I always keep various sizes on hand. I’ll have to check the local store and see if they have any. Great price. Thanks Jim.

-- Gary; Marysville, MI...Involve your children in your projects as much as possible, the return is priceless.

View Viking's profile

Viking

Jim;

Do they (HF) have any larger sizes?

Thanks

-- Rick Gustafson - Lost Creek Ranch - Colorado County, Texas

View mattshack's profile

mattshack

Hartville Tools also has rare earth magnets on sale. 100 for $16, 45 1/4inch, 30 3/8inch, and 25 1/2 inch.

View DaddyZ's profile

DaddyZ

I Don’t know if rare earth or not, I Bought some MAGNETIX in the Toy section at Wallyworld.

Just heat the plastic with a hair dryer & Stick magnet to metal comes right out !!!!

Plus you get some cool ball bearings

-- Pat - Worker of Wood, Collector of Tools, Father of one

View StumpyNubs's profile

StumpyNubs

Viking- No, this in the only size. Guess we can’t have everything…

I’m glad that you changed your signature ….you had me wondering why you would bring a shovel with you , but not any spare ammo ??? The mental image of the poor deer being bludgeoned was quite sad : (

View Pete_Jud's profile

Pete_Jud

Was at the local HF today, and they are out as well. They said the wharehouse was out also. I will keep checking as that is a sweet deal. BTW, I just got an Email from HF with a Thanksgiving day only 25 percent off coupon, In-store, call in, or internet order.

-- Life is to short to own an ugly boat.

View benham's profile

benham

I have used several of them. they also have a digital angle guide that works very well.

View Marc5's profile

Marc5

304 posts in 1975 days

This may be a stupid question but what is the difference between a rare earth magnet and a magnet? Just curious.

-- Marc

View DragonLady's profile

DragonLady

I got 4 packages of these today, and there were a whole bunch more on the peg. Guess Chicagoland people don’t go crazy for magnets :)

-- A woman's work is never done-but power tools help!