Porter Cable PSH1 Excells at spraying Lacquer

Review by pintodeluxe posted 11-21-2010 10:26 AM 4391 views 2 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Porter Cable PSH1 Excells at spraying Lacquer Porter Cable PSH1 Excells at spraying Lacquer No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Have you ever been frustruated spraying lacquer? The PSH1 comes with a 1.5mm tip that will spray lacquer beautifully. I thin mine 20% with lacquer thinner, and spray with 35 psi at the gun. The gun comes with it’s own requlator to it is easy to adjust. I like to use a spot light to really see what the finish looks like when it goes down. With this gun it always looks great – no sputtering or inconsistent patterns – just a smooth even finish that looks like it was layed down in a factory.

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#1 posted 11-21-2010 04:19 PM

Thank you for the review. Whenever I think about spray guns I wonder how easy they are to clean up after use. Can you comment on that?

View TLE's profile

TLE

25 posts in 2099 days

#2 posted 11-21-2010 06:56 PM

I’ve been spraying water based polyurethane cut to 1 water 2 varnish. It sprays beautifully and levels like magic. Clean-up is a thorough rinse of the parts under the hot water tap. My water is soft but I give it a little dry-off anyway.

Tim

#3 posted 11-21-2010 08:57 PM

Rich,
I have always found quart sprayers easier to clean than large airless units. The finish on this gun is chrome, so it wipes down easily with a rag dampened with lacquer thinner. Remove the front nozzel and soak it in a little lacquer thinner while you clean the rest of the gun. This is very important to keep the small atomization holes clear of lacquer. Squeeze the trigger as you remove the needle, and give it a wipedown. Remove the fluid control needle and wipe it down. Put 2 oz. lacquer thinner in the gun and spray it into a garbage can. Turn the gun upside down once in a while to clear the vent hole in the top of the cup. The manufacturer recommends a drop or two of mineral oil on the main needle to keep the trigger working smoothly. I have found that helpful too. All in all it takes 5 minutes. My dad is a contractor, and he is always interested how I get such a smooth finish. A brush just can’t compare to a good sprayer.

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#4 posted 11-22-2010 02:21 AM

Thanx

View grub32's profile

grub32

#5 posted 11-22-2010 04:04 AM

Thanks the review…I have been wanting to upgrade from a harbor freight for a while…this seems like a reasonable option. What type of lacquer are you using?

Grub

-- Science Teacher by Day, Wood Butcher by Night!!

#6 posted 11-22-2010 04:41 AM

Grub-
I use Miller pre-catatyzed lacquer thinned 20% with lacquer thinner. It works great and dries within 20 minutes.

View Blair Helgason's profile

Blair Helgason

169 posts in 2065 days

#7 posted 11-22-2010 11:51 PM

What kind of compressor are you using with this? I’ve always wanted to try a spray system but was worried I would have to upgrade my compressor which is only a 3 gallon Campbell Hausfeld.

-- Blair

#8 posted 11-23-2010 01:55 AM

Blair-
I use a 20 gallon two horse speedaire that I have had for 20 years, and it works great. Air usage varies by the tool – nail guns use very little air volume, sprayers and wrenches use modearte, and sandblasters use a lot of air. Your compressor may be okay for small projects, but you will have to wait for it to build pressure on large projects.