Peachtree Drill Press Dust Collector

Review by TheDane posted 11-21-2010 01:50 AM 3532 views 1 time favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Peachtree Drill Press Dust Collector Peachtree Drill Press Dust Collector Peachtree Drill Press Dust Collector Click the pictures to enlarge them

Does what it is supposed to do …you can adjust the hose to any position you like and it stays right where you put it.

The box includes everything you need to install on a standard drill press … unless you have an 8”, 10”, and some models of 12” benchtop drill presses. I assume this attachment is intended for use on floor models, but you can using it on benchtop models is a buit of a challenge.

I considered returning it, but this was a deeply discounted deal, and it is not Peachtree’s fault that I didn’t do my due diligence. As thinhgs turned out, I amd glad I kept it!

Peachtree does offer a set of adapters to accommodate 8”, 10”, and 12” benchtop models, but I decided to improvise. (see http://lumberjocks.com/TheDane/blog/19443 )

Edit—The shavings you see in the pix are ALL that got away. Not bad when you consider how much material I was hogging out!

View LittleAl's profile

LittleAl

#1 posted 11-21-2010 02:54 AM

I never knew such a thing existed. How does this do with shavings from a big forstner bit? Thanks for posting your review.

#2 posted 11-21-2010 03:16 AM

LittleAl —With a firstner bit (the one in the picture is a 1 7/8”) it is a little spotty at first … the forstner bit throws a lot of big shavings around.

But the deeper I go (the hole in the pix is 2” deep), the better it works.

I also think (no proof of this) that it gets just about all of the fine sawdust, which is the stuff that you really do not want to breath.

#3 posted 11-21-2010 05:59 AM

Interesting. So far my idea of DP dust collection is to clamp a flex hose from the DC to the DP table fence… Results have been spotty at best… This looks like an improvement…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

#4 posted 11-21-2010 04:22 PM

dbhost—I’ve tried all kinds of contraptions … mostly they just get in the way or come lose while I am drilling. This is the first one that (to me) actually makes sense.

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

#5 posted 11-21-2010 08:32 PM

Cool !

I just sling the hose from my ShopVac over my shoulder, put the “crevice” attachment on the hose, and—with one hand—hold the crevice attachment near the wood and the bit, while I’m working the bit height wheel, with the other hand.

It’s a minor inconvenience, but … like the gizmo, here, actually works very well.

I occasionally do think, though, that—one day—I’m going to suck up a glowing ember, and be in BIG trouble :-O

-- -- Neil

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

#6 posted 11-23-2010 03:47 AM

Nice review I maybe getting of those for my drill press.

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker