Polar Bear in Texas! G0715P

Review by Simons44 posted 1348 days ago 8291 views 5 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Polar Bear in Texas! G0715P Polar Bear in Texas! G0715P No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I assembled my new G0715P table saw today!

First Impression:
This thing is sweet! The nickle did not move a bit during the test. I used the blade that came with it for my tests before putting on my infinity blade. It cut clean, smooth and left a almost glue ready edge.

Conversion to 110:
The conversion to 110 was very easy. Of all things, I was the most nervous about this. Changing the circuit breaker was 3 screws, changing the plug was 3 wires and changing the jumpers was 4 screws. VERY simple.

Assembly:
The assembly went very smooth. I purchased the mobile base and built the base around the saw. The assemble of the rails was simple, a few coats of Johnson’s paste wax on the rails and the fence was gliding smoothly. I agree with the previous reviews about needed some loc-light for the fence bolts.

The blade was aligned close enough to parallel with the miter gauge. No adjustments were needed. I don’t have a dial indicator yet, it’s on the way.

The test run went awesome. http://www.youtube.com/simonsnet#p/a/u/0/wnggxeJNCks

This is my first non-$50 black Friday craftsman table saw. I am so happy with it and should have bought a better saw years ago. The only disappointing thing is the 37” outfeed roller system I bought does not fit the table saw. I purchased it after the grizzly sales rep confirmed it would work.

-Jeremy

93 posts in 2026 days

Nice saw, Not sure mine would pass the nickle test, LOL congrats!

Jeremy, this is a nice review and you certainly have put a quality saw in your shop. It is a major improvement on your old saw and should be fun to use.

Szczuldo

these things are popping up everywhere! Good to know that so far everyone is pleased.

I did notice that your rails had holes in the length after the right extension. Mine did not which means I need to drill my own when I attach the router extension there (probably not buying it until the beginning of the new year). Of course in the end they might not even line up.

I had 2 choices when I bought the saw, rewire it for 110V or put in a 220V circuit. I went with the circuit, took a couple hours, most of it because I had to wrestle the cable through the pvc. I figured having some 220V circuits in the garage won’t be a bad idea anyway.

View Kerry Drake's profile

Kerry Drake

Congratulations. Happy T-Day for you!

-- Kerry Drake, Loudon NH, http://thenickedfinger.wordpress.com/

View knotscott's profile

knotscott

5369 posts in 1977 days

Congrats! Nice job on the review, the setup, and your blade choice. Enjoy!

View matt garcia's profile

matt garcia

I’m jealous!!!

-- Matt Garcia Wannabe Period Furniture Maker, Houston TX

93 posts in 2026 days

No problems with the questions. I’m happy to help.

I’ve had no problems with 110. So far I’ve cut 4/4 and 8/4 poplar, large plywood and mdf sheets and pine.

I used the blade guard w/riving knife and it worked fine, nothing pinched and everything moved smoothly past the riving knife.

Dust collection wise, the saw has a pan in it, the pan is at an angle so all dust is directed to the dust port. My shop vac sucked it up with no problem.

Perhaps the other 2 guys with the saws can respond too.
-Jeremy

Szczuldo

There should be no perceivable difference in performance between 220V and 110V. You are still drawing the same amount of total power in the end. Of course things in life are never ideal. If I am thinking about this right, 220V might be a tad more efficient, and putting in a 220V circuit (if the breaker box is close) is trivial.

View hianupam's profile

hianupam

Hope you are enjoying your saw. I am toying with the idea of getting this saw and upgrade from my hitachi portable.
Have a couple of questions:
1. How heavy was the shipping box? were you able to maneuver it yourself or did you need help (which i am short on)
2. did you need assistance during the assembly process or were you able to put it together on your own?

-- Measure Twice, Cut Once

93 posts in 2026 days

2 of the boxes were very manageable (36 and 21lbs). The large box was 360lbs. I needed help moving it. I needed help during the instillation of the extension wings. Someone to hold them, while I screwed them on down below.

Please let me know if you have more questions,
Jeremy

Szczuldo

If you have a dolly then getting the large box into your garage is no issue. My driver was nice and wheeled it into my garage for me.

There are a number of ways to attach the wings on your own, from sitting it on your shoulder and one hand while the other puts screws in to attaching a 2×4 with clamps to the extensions and then to the table. This will take all the weight off you and you can have both hands free to work on it.

If you bought a mobile base as well you will need to find a way to prop the saw up on one side, 2×4’s work nicely.

View hianupam's profile

hianupam

Jeremy,
Did you pay for the lift gate service from grizzly? How heavy are the wings ball park? 40-50 lbs?

Alexei, Thanks for your suggestions.

-- Measure Twice, Cut Once

View skeezaroonie's profile

skeezaroonie

Well, this looks like a good place for this newbie to put his first little contribution. First, hi to all. I certainly appreciate all the nice welcome messages ya’ll have sent me. Now, to the subject at hand – I’ve been agonizing over a new saw for my shop (new shop, too – I’m just getting it sorted now. I’ll try and post more about that pretty soon) but I stumbled on a little stash of “mad-money” I had completely forgotten I had squirreled away and it is just enough to lift me over the choice of a mid-level contractor rig and put the G0715 in reach! Oh frabjous day! So I hope to get my saw on its way in the next few days.

hasta later, all. – Mark -

-- Most men pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it. -Soren Kierkegaard