GREAT router lift !

Review by NBeener posted 11-18-2010 07:29 PM 4111 views 1 time favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
GREAT router lift ! GREAT router lift ! No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This really IS a review, so … I’m pointing to it.

After spending a fair bit of time, making setup blocks out of UHMW, FOR my Amana glue joint router bit, I can honestly say that I LOVE this lift.

The thread pitch and machining make precise dialing in operations—at thousandths of an inch—incredibly easy. Coupled with a height gauge, gauge blocks, or a good rule (I have a Pinnacle 12” that does the job, rather nicely), getting exact bit height is—relatively—a joy.

At $199 (until they run out, or decide to make no more V1s), I think this is a “must consider” for anybody in the market, and whose router will fit this unit.

-- -- Neil

View Greg..the Cajun Wood Artist's profile

Greg..the Cajun Wood Artist

5261 posts in 2055 days

#2 posted 11-18-2010 11:23 PM

Woodpecker makes some excellent tools and products. This looks like a great deal. My only thought is how the chain gets affected once it gets alot of sawdust in it. Might require alot of blowing out with compressed air.
Please keep us posted if this is an issue.

-- Each step of every Wood Art project I design and build is considered my masterpieceā€¦ because I want the finished product to reflect the quality and creativeness of my work

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

4806 posts in 1920 days

#3 posted 11-18-2010 11:36 PM

Greg:

Good observation.

Their instructions DO recommend a periodic clean-up with compressed air … which … I’ll do … and a periodic addition of a few drops of “light machine oil.”

Being a bicycle rider, though—both road and dirt—and a bit of a hobbyist bike mechanic … I’m pretty good at understanding how to maintain a chain that lives its life in a harsh environment: keep it reasonably clean, and reasonably well lubricated.

In this case, I’m likely to use something like TriFlow, with PTFE, or something rather waxy, that doesn’t leave a sticky mess behind … to … simply trap sawdust.

Or even WD-40 that’s essentially a light oil with odorless mineral spirits. Does a good job of cleaning, and—after the OMS evaporates—leaves a light oil, in its place.

Gets a TON of laughs on the bike mechanic circuit, but … that don’t bother ME none ;-)

-- -- Neil

View stevecabinum's profile

stevecabinum

#4 posted 11-19-2010 12:00 AM

Thanks for the review and follow-up! One suggestion – you may want to neck up on the router to take full advantage of the range in this lift. Congrats on a great purchase!

View Pete Jansen's profile

Pete Jansen

#5 posted 11-19-2010 03:45 AM

WD-40?!!!

I ride bikes too, and the guys at Peloton would laugh too! =)

-- Lovin' sawdust in beautiful Fort Collins, Colorado

15304 posts in 1935 days

#6 posted 11-19-2010 08:36 PM

Very nice review and set up!