Edited: Sturdy construction, odd warning

Review by Eric_S posted 1330 days ago 3489 views 1 time favorited 38 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Edited: Sturdy construction, odd warning No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased these last week when I thought I’d be fastening the tops to the nightstands this weekend. Well I screwed up the tops and now have a few more weeks of work(delayed until after holiday gifts are done). Anyways, I just received these fasteners in the mail yesterday and was all excited….until I read the back of the bags. I can’t remember the exact words since I dont have it in front of me right now but it goes something like this:

Warning, materials used in this have been shown to cause cancer in California testings. Wash hands after handling.

Really? A metal table top fastener has materials which may cause cancer? Not sure if it contains lead or what. Either way, no thank you. I don’t want to use anything that may cause cancer in something that I want to hopefully pass down as an heirloom. I think I’ll make my own wood fasteners. I’m returning these this weekend.

The fasteners themselves look heavy duty, but due to that warning I won’t use these and it receives 1 star.

EDIT: This review is worthless after finding out that rockler puts Prop 65 warning on ALL their products, even if they aren’t affected. So just going by the construction of these fasteners, they seem to be well made and heavy duty.

View AaronK's profile

AaronK

1389 posts in 2048 days

it’s probably something that can leech out of steel – I dont think i’d worry about it, since you wont be immersing them in your water supply. that said, wood fasteners are nicer :-)

View JJohnston's profile

JJohnston

I’m surprised you haven’t noticed that “Prop 65” warning before. It’s on everything. I wouldn’t worry about it. It’s probably the zinc from the galvanizing or something. Pump enough of anything into a laboratory mouse and it’s bound to cause a problem.

-- "Sorry I'm late. Somebody tampered with my brakes." "You should have been early, then."

Eric_S

I’ve never seen that warning on any type of metal bracket before, I’d rather not use something like that if I have a choice, which I do.

View CharlieM1958's profile

CharlieM1958

They are only dangerous in California. You’re fine.

-- Charlie M. "Woodworking - patience = firewood"

View racerglen's profile

racerglen

Could even be the bag that’s deemed a hazzard ?

;-)

-- Glen, Vernon B.C. Canada

View Szczuldo's profile

Szczuldo

if i choose not to purchase or use everything that had the prop 65 warning label on it, i would not have a router, a table saw, blades, bits, and everything else i have recently bought for my up and coming shop.

I wouldn’t worry about it if I was you.

-- -Alexei

View Wolffarmer's profile

Wolffarmer

I have seen the Prop 65 warnings with files you down load. Sheeesh. Makes the whole thing meaningless.

Randy

-- That was not wormy wood when I started working on it.

Eric_S

Randy lol. If I saw it on eveyrthing I dont think it would be as big an issue for me. I have never seen this before though on a metal bracket.

Alexei, I must be blind. I haven’t seen these at all on tools. I guess I’ll be more observant next time.

I’m not worried, I just would rather not use it since I have the choice.

View KnotWright's profile

KnotWright

247 posts in 2072 days

Yes its true, EVERYTHING in California causes cancer thanks to PROP 65.

Eric if you’re making furniture that you want to become an heirloom, why not just make the table top hold downs like our buddy Norm (New Yankee Workshop) does, run a dado down a section of wood and then use your drill press to punch in some holes, and finally head over to your chop saw and trim the clips to width.

-- James

Eric_S

James, yeah thats what I said I would be doing in the review. I purchased these because I just wanted the stands done, but even while purchasing them I figured I probably wouldn’t use them on this project and would instead use them on a future one. I’m sure they are probably safe since I wont be licking them or eating them or drinking water with them in the glass, but still its just something I have never seen on a metal bracket.

I found this on Rocklers website so maybe it doesn’t mean anything for this particular product:
“Rockler Woodworking and Hardware has chosen to provide a warning based on its knowledge about the presence of one or more listed chemicals without attempting to evaluate the level of exposure. With products on Rockler’s website, the exposure may be below the Proposition 65 level of concern, or could even be zero. However, out of an abundance of caution, Rockler has elected to place the Proposition 65 warning notification on all its products.”

IGNORE THIS REVIEW. Its worthless now lol.

View ellen35's profile

ellen35

2556 posts in 2016 days

I think if you eat the clips, you can get cancer… or worse!

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire

View mmh's profile

mmh

Well, moot or not, thanks for the warning!

It’s sad how a company has to CTA (Cover Their Assets) to sell anything. I will have to put a lable on my canes that they could cause a falling syndrome if used improperly and if one sucks on the handle too long, may cause tooth decay or cancer.

-- "They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Lol mmh!

-- - Eric Indianapolis, IN

For what it’s worth, EVERYTHING causes cancer, but only in the State of California… It’s fine everywhere else…

Seriously though, I have used LOTS of those clips, and I believe they are electro plate galvanized if they are the ones I am thinking about. YES if you grind the plating or otherwise make the plating or other metal products to make the fine dust airborne, then YES you can increase your cancer risks.

These cancer warnings on just about every product known to man just reinforce how silly California can be…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

Eric_S

Brian thanks for that info.