Polar Bear in Florida!

Review by DaveTPilot posted 1381 days ago 5150 views 3 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Polar Bear in Florida! Polar Bear in Florida! Polar Bear in Florida! Click the pictures to enlarge them

I ordered this Grizzly Hybrid saw online on a Friday afternoon. Grizzly sent me an email with all of the shipping information and tracking number. The order was shipped the following Monday and 3 days later it was in my garage!

FIRST IMPRESSION

The first thing I noticed was the quality of the packaging. The saw was packed very neatly and securely and arrived without any damage. I was even more pleased when I started the unpacking process. I was very impressed with the overall quality of the saw. It is a very solidly built piece of machinery to say the least.

OWNER’S MANUAL

Assembly and setup was easy and straight forward. Which leads me to the Owner's Manual. I have bought numerous new consumer products in my life and I have to say that the owner’s manual that came with this saw is the best manual I have ever seen. That may seem insignificant to some but when it comes to setting up a piece of precision machinery, it is nice to have a manual that explains everything in great specificity and detail.

ASSEMBLY

I assembled the wings by myself as Szczuldo did. I clamped two 2×2 cauls to the table then clamped the wing to the cauls. The clamps held it in place and made inserting the bolts a snap. So if I got a phone call, no worries. :) The table has threaded holes to accept the bolts. Not needing to add nuts made the assembly all the more easy. One word of caution, if you over tighten the bolts, the internal threads will strip. I did this on one hole. (I simply used a nut, bolt and washers in that one hole.) My wings were in perfect alignment and didn’t need shimming. Another nice surprise.

I did unpack the stock blade and noticed it was considerably thinner than my standard Forrest Woodworker II. I too, opted out of using the stock blade and instead installed my Forrest Woodworker II. The arbor lock is a very nice feature. The quick change riving knife is awesome! It was out of alignment but was very easy to remedy that.

The rails were very easy to install. I was a little dismayed at the thought of trying to get the measuring tape applied straight but it was much easier than I thought it would be. The tape was longer than the right side of the rail, which gave me pause, but after making sure I was applying it correctly I cut off the excess with a razor knife. I slide the rail back and forth several times, locking in in place and check the measurement from the blade to the fence and it is spot on.

THE FENCE

Again, the owner’s manual shined, with one exception that I will explain in a moment. Setting up the fence was easy but it did take some time to get it perfect. I had to make every possible adjustment but in the end it is as perfect in every alignment as I can measure.

The MANUAL DISCREPANCY

The manual states, “Clamp the fence in place and tighten the front set screws until they touch the fence tube, and then back them off 1/8 of a turn.” I found that doing that made the fence next to impossible to move. It does say to readjust as required but it would take a lot of readjusting.

I unclamped the fence and tightened the front set screws until they just barely touched the fence tube. It moves freely now and the front set screws help the fence stay parallel while moving.

I am extremely happy and satisfied with the fence. It is very solid and remains square to the miter slots.

ADJUSTMENTS

As stated above, I needed to adjust the riving knife and make multiple adjustments to the fence. I did not need to adjust the trunnion. I don’t have a dial indicator so I can’t give you a blade run-out measurement. Using an adjustable square, I measured from the left miter slot to a marked tooth on the front of the blade, then checked the same tooth in the back of the blade and there was no difference.

DUST COLLECTION PORT MODIFICATION

I modified the dust collection port and converted it to an incorporated blast gate using some 3/16” ABS plastic I had in the shop. You could use hardboard or plywood to achieve the same functionality. Using the plastic, you would think the saw came that way from the factory…which it should! IMHO

The only complaint I have is the stock miter gauge. I don’t expect the stock gauge to be anything to write home about but this gauge is so poorly made that it is practically nonfunctional.

THE TEST RUN

After cleaning all the rust preventative from the table top and trunnion gears, lubing the gears according to the instructions, checking that I set everything up properly and didn’t miss any steps…it was time to give it a go!

The switch was more difficult to push than I expected, which is a good thing. You really have to make a positive effort to turn the saw on. Once the button was pushed the saw came to life. It was much quieter than my Harbor Freight contractor saw and ran as smooth as glass. It passes the nickel test easily.

I ripped some hickory first. I figured I’d go for something hard straight away. The saw cut through like butter. I measured the cut and it was perfect.

Next I tried a couple of crosscuts, using the Harbor Freight miter gauge, and all was square.

The dust collection works perfectly. I noticed the same thing about the dust chute as mentioned in Szczuldo’s review. I added a little tape to the open slots on the dust chute to prevent the sawdust from reaching the floor. I haven’t moved the saw to see if that helped or not but either way, not a big deal.

CONCLUSION

I am absolutely pleased with this product and would highly recommend it to anyone. The price is untouchable for similar quality.

-- How valuable is time to a person who spends his disparaging the beliefs of others? --David Berthelette www.pilotwoodworks.com

View DaveTPilot's profile

DaveTPilot

270 posts in 1932 days

View Roger Clark aka Rex's profile

Roger Clark aka Rex

6940 posts in 2069 days

Great review, wish I had one of those table saws, Grizzly Rocks.

-- Roger-R, Republic of Texas. "Always look on the Bright Side of Life" - An eyeball to eyeball confrontation with a blind person is as complete waste of Time.

View Steven H's profile

Steven H

Thanks for the review. It’s a perfect Grizzly saw for those who don’t have 220V

View knotscott's profile

knotscott

5429 posts in 2010 days

Excellent review, and the 2nd positive review (of 2) I’ve read about this saw. Enjoy!

View Steven H's profile

Steven H

That’s interesting, I thought it’s made in Taiwan but it’s not.

View reggiek's profile

reggiek

2240 posts in 1904 days

Great review and kudos to Grizzly for continuing to make quality tools at a reasonable price. My Grizzly machines are still running well after several years and I have never regretted purchasing from them.

-- Woodworking.....My small slice of heaven!

View Szczuldo's profile

Szczuldo

good to know someone else had a good experience with this saw. I thought about the same setup you did to help with attaching the extensions but this was the first thing to arrive at my new place and i did not want to run over to my old place.

As for the dust port, i am thinking of seeing if I can attach a 6” port as that is what I plan to have run to my saw.

-- -Alexei

View moonls's profile

moonls

I just ordered a Grizzly G0715P after looking at other saws for the past several weeks. I was really pleased to get such good reviews from you and Szculdo and it certainly helped me make the decision. I hope Grizzly is monitoring this site because they will get some excellent feedback!

-- Lorna, Cape Cod

View matt garcia's profile

matt garcia

I’m jealous!! Congrats on your new saw!!

-- Matt Garcia Wannabe Period Furniture Maker, Houston TX

I think you will be very happy with this saw for a long time

-- Norman

View Wilton's profile

Wilton

Great review. I am saving for one of these and what a great deal especially with the introductory price grizzly has on right now. Thanks for sharing.

-- Wilton, Phoenixville PA http://kimbertonwoodworks.com

View Szczuldo's profile

Szczuldo

The introductory price is gone but apparently there is only an 8$ difference…So really isn’t a problem. I was hoping to get the 15” planer before the introductory price wore off but alas i missed it and that was near 100$

-- -Alexei

View Nick Ferry's profile

Nick Ferry

thanks a bunch for the great review will be ordering mine soon