Added some bling to my planer

Review by Cato posted 11-15-2010 01:29 AM 3268 views 1 time favorited 25 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Added some bling to my planer No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this Wixey planer readout a few months ago when it was on sale for $40, normally i think it is priced around $70.

Had I known how nice it would work and how much time it would save when milling boards I probably would have gotten it sooner, though I am glad I waited to get the one with decimals and fractions displayed.

It was easy to mount on the DW735 planer by just following the part of thedirection sheet for this particular planer.

I have used this digital read out since early summer and the more I use it the more I appreciate it, especially when you come up short on wood and have to mill to match what you have already done.

Measure with a caliper or use the measuring feature on the digital read out match the number up and your board matches up very darn close. Not always perfect but close enough

This picture shows a board that I forgot to mill after I had done about 18 bd ft of white oak today.

I have had some boards that have matched completely flush edge to edge and other boards that were nearly so, but I think part of that depends on how well you did your job on the jointer.

One of the nicest things is that you don’t have to stop the planer after each pass. Once you finish the first pass you can watch the digital read out and lower the planer head and feed the board in again, and that really is a time saver.

So all in all I can not find anything irritating or hard to use with this digital readout, so I am giving it 5 stars for ease of use, accuracy, and repeatability, all things you want when you plane wood.

View LittleAl's profile

LittleAl

#1 posted 11-15-2010 01:59 AM

I have been looking at getting one of these for my DW735 and should have when they were on sale this summer.

Thanks for the review – will be picking one up soon.

View Greg..the Cajun Wood Artist's profile

Greg..the Cajun Wood Artist

5218 posts in 2033 days

#2 posted 11-15-2010 03:35 AM

The wixey readout is nice. I added one to my grizzly 15” planer and it is great. Worth the money.

-- Each step of every Wood Art project I design and build is considered my masterpieceā€¦ because I want the finished product to reflect the quality and creativeness of my work

View PCM's profile

PCM

#3 posted 11-15-2010 03:49 AM

I have used one on my Delta planer for about three years and have been quite satisfied.

View dfdye's profile

dfdye

#4 posted 11-15-2010 04:10 AM

Not sure if that would work on my Craftsman planer, but that sure does look like a great add-on. Thanks for the review!

-- David from Indiana --

View bozobozo's profile

bozobozo

#5 posted 11-15-2010 05:22 AM

I’ve had one for a quite a while – it works great. My only complaint is that it goes thru batteries very very fast.

-- JEO Davenport, Iowa

View dakotawood's profile

dakotawood

#6 posted 11-15-2010 06:49 AM

Nice review. Thanks. Looks like a nice tool to have.

-- Travis, South Dakota

View lanwater's profile

lanwater

#7 posted 11-15-2010 07:31 AM

I have looked at it but did not buy it since I did not know how well it would work on the dewalt.
Now it’s on my list again.

-- Abbas, Castro Valley, CA

View Don Johnson's profile

Don Johnson

#8 posted 11-15-2010 02:07 PM

I’m not sure whether this is totally applicable, but before I retired, I worked for a company that made springs. We designed some spring load testers to make ourselves rather than purchasing commercial versions, using load cells for the force measurements, and digital voltmeters for the displays. For the length measurements on the moveable jaws, we initially thought that we would have to purchase commercial digital indicators, which were then quite expensive. Our cheaper solution was to use standard digital readout verniers, clamped into cut-outs in the assembly.
I recall that we may have cut off the ends of the jaws to protect users from the ‘sharp’ ends.
This was a much cheaper solution, which worked extremely well, so perhaps it might stimulate someone to use the same method with their woodworking machines.

-- Don, Somerset UK, http://www.donjohnson24.co.uk

#9 posted 11-15-2010 03:14 PM

Bozo, I will have to check but I think the version I have has an auto shutoff if its not used for 15 minutes or something like that. I am still on my original battery, and I think it came with a spare, but I might ought to check on that.

Really bottom line on this unit, is that compared to trying to read a scale and trying to go above, below, or split the line, this combines your caliper on the machine and you can go to exactly where you want to go.

View TheDane's profile

TheDane

#10 posted 11-15-2010 05:51 PM

I had a Wixey Model 500 on my DW733 … if I forgot to shut it off, the battery was dead the next time I needed it.

About 2 years ago, I upgraded to the Model 510, which does have automatic shut-off.

The reviewer is right on … this is a terrific accessory. Easy to calibrate, and produces dead-on results.

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

#11 posted 11-15-2010 05:55 PM

Thanks for that review, Cato.

Mine is still sitting in its original packaging, but … I did move it closer to my Ridgid planer.

Which … for me … is progress, and means that I could actually be thinking about installing it, soon :-)

My concern is … I’ll like it so much that I’ll want one on the drum sander, too ;-)

-- -- Neil

#12 posted 11-15-2010 11:42 PM

Neil, you will like it. Installation is pretty easy.

#13 posted 11-15-2010 11:47 PM

Neil, I have on and I installed it but I never used it much since.

View Howie's profile

Howie

#14 posted 11-16-2010 03:33 AM

Cato: I have a Dewalt 735 and I’ve been looking at this item for a few months. Based on the reviews and your review, I just ordered one from Rockler(59.95/free shipping)

-- Life is good.

View Viking's profile

Viking

857 posts in 1920 days

#15 posted 11-16-2010 07:08 PM

Cato;

I caught this on sale a few weeks ago for $40 and plan to install it on my (Home Depot $264) DW735 over the upcoming holidays.

Thanks for the great review!

-- Rick Gustafson - Lost Creek Ranch - Colorado County, Texas