Suprisingly useful for trimming small components.

Review by Chinitorama posted 11-14-2010 06:23 AM 1894 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Suprisingly useful for trimming small components. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Up for review is a scaled-down version of the Veritas edge jointing block plane. I recently purchased this miniature as a novelty item but found it to be a very effective tool for small projects.

Like the miniature Veritas shoulder plane, this tool is made from investment cast steel. Precisely machined on its sole and integral fence, the plane also features a nicely flattened iron which sharpens easily. On the whole, fit and finish is top notch as it is on all Veritas products.

After getting it home I put the mini plane to work on some birdhouse parts made from douglas fir. Easy to set even without an adjuster, the cutter easily produced paper-thin shavings. As the throat is tiny, tearout does not seem to be an issue. The plane hugs the work and is easily steered with the fingertips and thumb.

In the future I can see this item being put to use in making musical instruments, jewelery boxes and other dainty items. However, due to its small sole length I wouldn’t trust it to true glue joints over a few inches in length.

-J.

View Chinitorama's profile

Chinitorama

105 posts in 1951 days

View racerglen's profile

racerglen

#1 posted 11-14-2010 12:35 PM

As I thought, a usefull one despite the size, or maybe because of it. I have the little shoulder plane as well.. “Dear, isn’t it time for the Lee Valley Christmas order ?”

-- Glen, Vernon B.C. Canada

Dennis

View Shopsmithtom's profile

Shopsmithtom

#3 posted 11-14-2010 06:57 PM

Thanks for the review. I just got my LV Christmas catalog & saw the plane & have been wondering if I should get one. I think I will. I’m glad to hear that it’s another example of LV not disappointing us. -SST

-- Accuracy is not in your power tool, it's in you