Solid Jointer

Review by Manitario posted 11-12-2010 06:43 PM 5289 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Solid Jointer No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

After several weeks of debate, I decided to go with General International for my jointer. I seriously considered going with Grizzly for a jointer, most of the reviews I’ve read about them are very positive, and it sounds like their customer service is second to none. The deciding factor though was having a General dealer in town, so if anything goes wrong or if I have questions it would be easy to get help. The jointer was a display model, so it was already assembled and cleaned. The first thing that impressed me about it was how frickin heavy it was, despite the open base! There were several very tense moments as my wife and I tried to get this off of my truck…Despite it being already assembled, I went over it again to make sure that whoever did the assembly had done a good job. Next came setting the outfeed table height which was relatively simple to do with the hand wheel. I have yet to buy a dial indicator to check the knife height “accurately”.
After face jointing about 50LF so far here are my impressions:
Good:
smooth, quiet operation
easy adjustment
very smooth cuts

Bad:
poorly designed chip chute
positive stops for fence easily knocked out of calibration
should come with mobile base for price!

Overall, I’m happy with the jointer, although wishing I had the space and money to have bought an 8 inch version.

-- Sometimes the creative process requires foul language. -- Charles Neil

View wwbob's profile

wwbob

#1 posted 11-12-2010 08:09 PM

Is it tacky to ask what the price would be at say Amazon or the General International website. Why: as a newbee I don’t have a feel for what is cheap and what is expensive. I usually have to do the search to determine a price then go, “Oh that’s way out of my budget.”

Just a thought.

Bob

-- "I like the quiet I hear." - Channing, age 4

#2 posted 11-12-2010 08:16 PM

Not tacky at all; price determines almost everything I buy! I paid $630 plus another $60 for the mobile base.

#3 posted 11-12-2010 08:33 PM

Which is a little above mid range. Bottom of the 6” floor model jointer range is the Central Machinery 6”, I would think top of the range would be the Powermatic…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View wwbob's profile

wwbob

#4 posted 11-12-2010 08:43 PM

Thanks. I’m still using the High School as my workshop, but I like to know what my own shop would cost.

Bob

-- "I like the quiet I hear." - Channing, age 4

#5 posted 11-12-2010 09:59 PM

deke; I won’t hate you…ok maybe just a little bit :) Sounds like a great deal; I agree with you, GI makes good, solid tools which is part of their appeal to me.

View Beginningwoodworker's profile