Sand Devil

Review by bluejazz posted 1357 days ago 2274 views 2 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Sand Devil No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I hate sanding. Among woodworkers of course, that about is as unique an impression as ‘Hitler was a bad guy’.

This tool truly does make sanding easier. First off, cutting sandpaper and getting it into my 3M sanding block was a major pain. I’m sure there are better choices than 3M in sanding blocks and making your own is an option. But this Sand Devil has been a huge improvement for me.

First off even with my Sandpaper cutting jig, cutting to size is burdensome if for no other reason, I have to keep doing it. With the Sand Devil you can use 3X21 belts which have much thicker layers of grit and last a lot longer. Plus you can easily rotate the sandpaper when it gets a little clogged or worn. You also have 2 built in rounded surfaces for sanding curved objects.

Belt changes are fast. There is a simple lever for loosening and tightening the belt and you will likely find as I have, you are changing belts to change grits more than changing a belt because it is worn.

The manufacturer claims it sands as aggressively as a belt sander. It does not (thankfully). It does sand more aggressively than paper in my opinion, but it is controllable.

Belts may be difficult to obtain in very fine grits, but Rockler has them up to 220 and you can find them eBay at 220 as well.

All in all for most woodworking sanding ops, this is an excellent inexpensive tool. Amazon has them

Hartsville tool has them too (distributed through Amazon) and is a little cheaper
or

-- I'm 56. In my mind, I still feel 26. Until I do something physical; then I feel 76.

View LittleAl's profile

LittleAl

Yes, sanding is the devil.

Thanks for the review. Very handy that this thing accepts the very rugged belt sander belts.

al

View wseand's profile

wseand

That thing is pretty cool. How well does it fit in the hand and is it heavy. Can you use it for a period of time or does it present a challenge.

-- Bill - "Freedom flies in your heart like an Eagle" Audie Murphy

bluejazz

I think it fits the hand great; better than most. It is significantly lighter than the 3M block I have and if anything is less tiring than other blocks I have used.

View Raspar's profile

Raspar

Very cool, my question if you dont mind is does the tightening mech stay flat when tightened? Or does it bow up when under pressure? Thanks for the review.

-- Have thy tools ready. God will find thee work.

bluejazz

To date the lever is has remained locked in place with no bowing. And I was working over some walnut pretty good yesterday. :-)