Well built, reliable, great performing machine

Review by JLYoung posted 02-29-2008 03:44 PM 4874 views 1 time favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Well built, reliable, great performing machine No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this planer about a year and a half ago and it has served me very well. The cutter head lock has pretty much eliminated snipe. The only time I get it is if I try and feed a wide board though without first jointing one face. (I know this is not the proper way, but if a board is short and wide, won’t fit on my jointer and I’m taking off 1/4” I figure I can flatten it quite well by continuously flipping it around). The blades on this planer apparently aren’t meant to be sharpened but thrown away and replaced. I’ve yet to change the blades out of mine so I can’t comment on how difficult it is to do. This planer should be used with a dust collector. I used it for awhile in my basement shop without a dust collector and you end up with so many chips inside the machine that you get dimples in the wood from the blades driving the chips in. Add a dust collector and that problem dissappears.

The three knife cutter head cuts very smooth and I have very little work to do to scrape off the milling marks. I could almost put the finish on right off the planer.

View JLYoung's profile

JLYoung

View MsDebbieP's profile

MsDebbieP

#1 posted 02-29-2008 05:24 PM

I love ours as well.. not that I have any experience with any other machine so I can’t compare.
But I figure if I can use it, it must be good :)

-- ~ Debbie, Canada (https://www.facebook.com/DebbiePribeleENJOConsultant)

View pashley's profile

pashley

#2 posted 04-13-2008 02:39 AM

I was able to easily take my blades out and sharpen them. Reinstalling is a snap.

-- Have a blessed day! http://newmissionworkshop.com

View Loren's profile

Loren

#3 posted 06-01-2008 08:35 PM

I have one of the older ones with the resharpenable blades,
which a prefer because I have a knife grinder. Mine has
a 2-knife cutterhead and knife-setting jigs that come with
it.

After several years of intermittent use (I had other planers
as well so I didn’t use this always) the feed mechanism broke.

I took the machine apart – which took a while – and discovered
a delicate sprocket had broken in half. The sprocket has
a lot of pressure put on it by this machine and it’s not
super-sturdy. The replacement part was under $10 and frankly
I’m surprised the first one lasted as long as it did.

Planer is back in service and produces nice results as long
as you respect it’s limitations. It’s a nice surface finisher
in general.

Dust collection isn’t all that great. Chips get stuck in the sides,
pile up and need to be cleaned out if you want to plane thin
stock. It’s tempting to cut holes in the plastic sides to
make cleanout easier.

Perhaps the newer ones have better dust collection.

-- http://lawoodworking.com

View Denappy's profile

Denappy

#4 posted 09-07-2008 05:44 PM

I recently purchased this same machine and agree, for the price it works great with little or no adjustment out of the box. I have been really pleased with the results!

-- -=Den

View SawdustWrangler's profile

SawdustWrangler

#5 posted 02-08-2009 06:25 AM

I just picked up this planer on clearance for $300. I am very impressed with its performance thus far. Amen on the multitude of chips. Shopvac worked well in reducing the waste volume. Very strong and smooth machine.

-- Chris, South Carolina

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

#6 posted 03-14-2009 09:50 PM

Ditto on this planer. I recently picked it up as a closeout item at Lowes for 4300. Running large fir and smaller oak pieces through it after jointing. No snipe and the finish is almost burnished smooth. Lots of chips though, dust collection or shop vac is a must. If not.. get a shovel you’ll need it.

View Sinister's profile

Sinister

#7 posted 08-31-2009 10:31 PM

I bought this planer about 5 years ago and it has been a reliable workhorse in my shop. That is until this weekend, when all of a sudden it would crank down but not up. On the Dewalt web page someone else posted this problem and it was suggested that the planer is out of parallel. Next weekend, I’ll try getting to the sprockets to see if I can fix it. I’d be interested to know if anyone else has had this problem and had success fixing it.

-- Patrick, Iowa City

#8 posted 09-01-2009 12:55 AM

congrats on the new tool may it last a thousand years and mill a million board ft. wow I make myself tired just thinking about it.

#9 posted 09-01-2009 02:35 AM

Great review. Thanks for writing it up.

View Sinister's profile

Sinister

#10 posted 09-15-2009 08:11 PM

In case anyone is interested, I figured out the problem. There is crack on the metal carriage that runs between the support posts on the “crank side” of the machine. When I crank down, the crack is pushed tight and it moves smoothly. When I crank up, the crack is pulled apart and it binds on the opposite side. Needless to say, I’m frustrated and shopping for a new machine.

-- Patrick, Iowa City

View Cozmo35's profile

Cozmo35

#11 posted 03-11-2010 03:06 PM

I bought a Dewalt 734 planer and used it for about 3 months on and off. It stopped pulling the wood in and pushing it out the other side. I had to manually push it in one side and reach over to pull it out of the other side. I had bought it at Home Depot, so I took it back. They exchanged it and I got a new planer. I have had it for less than a mont and it is doing the same thing! I contacted Dewalt when I first encountered this problem and they suggested that I clean the rollers with mineral spirits. I did that and it didn’t help. They also suggested that I adjust the deck up a little. STILL no results. It happens regardless of how little or much wood I try to plane of at one time. Have any of you had this type of problem? Please drop me a line if you can help.

-- If you don't work, you don't eat!.....Garland, TX