Narex mortise Chisels Set of 5

Review by Bob #2 posted 1381 days ago 14337 views 0 times favorited 38 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Narex mortise Chisels Set of 5 No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought a five piece set of Narex mortise chisels and so far have had an opportunity to actual work with one. I’m quite pleased with the fit and finish and this steel quality which seems to be just right for my liking. Not too brittle, takes an edge quickly and seems to sharpen without leaving too much curl on the cutting-edge.(Rc59) They have a nice weight to them in a nice feel in my hand and the blades are definitely long enough to be able to hold the blade in alignment while gently tapping the butt to form the mortise.

From narex mortise chisels

I’m a bit short of time this weekend for various reasons so I gave the half-inch chisel a bit of a flattening on the back and re-honed the long bevel edge on the front so I could try the chisel on some wood today.

From narex mortise chisels

I grabbed a piece of 2×4 Spruce stock , flattened the top with a Jack plane, and dropped the mortise with her one half-inch bit in my Triton router.

From narex mortise chisels

As shown in the following picture the half-inch mortise is an excellent fit to the half-inch router bit I am using and it actually took just a few seconds to square a each end of the of the mortise.

From narex mortise chisels
This is a picture of the finished mortise and although it is not a textbook example using a hardwood it has given me confidence to go ahead and finish honing the other four chisels.
From narex mortise chisels

The set consists of a 3/16, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, and 1/2” chisels.
They come as shown with blade guards but do not include a fancy case which I generally end up tossing out anyway.
They’re modestly priced and a pleasure to work with. I found mine at the Valley tools and I do understand that this brand from Czechoslovakia is also available at Highland woodworking in the US.

View reggiek's profile

reggiek

Those are on sale at Lee Valley until Dec 15 for $45.00.

-- Woodworking.....My small slice of heaven!

View Jamie Speirs's profile

Jamie Speirs

Bob that is a great review.
A good firm mortice chisel is hard to find.
Mine are very old.
Jamie

-- Who is the happiest of men? He who values the merits of others, and in their pleasure takes joy, even as though 'twere his own. --Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

View CanadianWoodChuck's profile

CanadianWoodChuck

I place my order 2 days ago from Lee Valley, they look like a good deal.

-- Wood Chuck (Bruce) http://3dwoodworkingplans.com

View Tony's profile

Tony

I have been using the 6, 8 & 10 mm versions of these chisels for over a year now – I did a review of them about a year ago. I still stand by the review 100% great value for money, but the quality surpasses the price. I will have to look out for the imperial sizes here in Europe in the near future.

Thanks for posting Bob.

-- Tony - All things are possible, just some things are more difficult than others! - SKYPE: Heron2005 (http://www.poydatjatuolit.fi)

Bob #2

I remember that post well Tony. That prompted me to try to get in touch with Narex to find a distributor. They never did answer me. ( could have been a language problem)
I was happy to get a couple of plastic handled ones a few weeks ago. A bit too brittle for my tastes but they are in the “sacrifice drawer” for the dirty stuff. These chisels however, were listed at RC 59 which is more to my liking, especially with a heavy shafts like these as the honing takes forever with say an RC 62.

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

Thank you for an excellent review and some great pictures of the chisels.

View Roger's profile

Really nice review and good pics to go with it all

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View MedicKen's profile

MedicKen

1599 posts in 2086 days

I have a set of Narex bench chisels, 7 I think, and I must say they are quality tools. I have been looking to a set of these as well so this review comes at just the right time. Thanks for sharing

-- My job is to give my kids things to discuss with their therapist....medic20447@gmail.com

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

Nice review on the mortise chisels.

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

View mot's profile

mot

I was wondering when you’d land a set of pig stickers. Thanks for the review Bob. I’ve been looking at, but not buying a set, for years.

-- You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation. (Plato)

Bob #2

Hey Mot, I think you would like these. They dont have to be uber steel to do what they are meant for.
The square body gives them good direction to follow the walls of the mortise and the blade seems to drop thru the bit of remianing wood effortlessly.
I haven’t seem a better price for this quality. I’m sure you’d be pleased.

View Lee A. Jesberger's profile

Lee A. Jesberger

Great review, Bob.

Lee

View docholladay's profile

docholladay

I just added this set of chisels to my Christmas list. I have the bench chisel set made by the same company and have been pleased with those. They were flat and well ground right out of the box. They did require a bit of work to polish the backs and to hone the bevels, but it went fairly quickly. I would expect similar in these.

-- Hey, woodworking ain't brain surgery. Just do something and keep trying till you get it. Doc

View reggiek's profile

reggiek

I had some folks asking about where the sale price was at Lee…so here is a link….they are under Lee’s special price page…this should take you direct:

Lee Valley Mortise Chisels

-- Woodworking.....My small slice of heaven!

View Rick Boyett's profile

Rick Boyett

I bought a lot of stuff from Lee Valley last weekend. The deal on these chisels was just too good to pass up.