Makits Combo Driver and Drill set....

Review by lilredweldingrod posted 1360 days ago 3332 views 0 times favorited 21 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Makits Combo Driver and Drill set.... No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

For years I have used Makita cordless tools. I was using my 9.6 volt drill about two years ago when a friend came by and began to brag on his 18 volt Dewalt drill/driver. This prompted me to start looking around for an 18 volt set to replace my rather gutless 25 year old unit.
We were in Home Depot and they were having a sale on combo kits and if you bought the kit, they would throw in an extra battery free. There was the Makita combo kit with the charger and two batteries for $279.00. We checked out the prices on the replacement batteries and found Makita to be $80.00. AND if you applied for a contractors card, they gave you $100.00. I’m sold and so was Momma. So for $179.00 Momma rolls me out on cloud 9.
I’ve been using this combo set now for two years. I fully expected the batteries to need replacing by now, but they are still recharging and doing fine. I have put to old 9.6 in retirement in a shed somewhere and these are now my go to tools.
I have used the driver to screw up to 6 inch 1/4 lag bolts with ease. I even use it when I work on one of the cars or trucks. I have been very impressed by these tools and highly recommend them to all. I expect them to last just as well as the older, weaker ones.
If you want to “Git-er-dun” these are absolute necessities in my opinion. If there were another star or two, I would go there to rate these tools.

View LittleAl's profile

LittleAl

These really are some great tools. Got a set for my dad for helping me with a project and he won’t shut up about them.

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

Hey, that looks pretty good!

You got a GOOD deal!

They look like Designer tools! :)

View Juansnapon's profile

Juansnapon

I would have to agree with you. I have the green set with the bigger batteries and I have had them for over 4 years now and they still work great. Never had to replace a thing. I have the hole set and continually but more when they become available. I have two impacts, hammer drill, two recip saws, circular saw, two flash lights, and grinder. The great thing about the Makita set is you can buy more tools with out the batteries for less. That’s who I purchased another impact for $60 for the bear tool from Amazon, I was thinking about another drill as well for about 75. I also use the Makita batteries on my other cordless tools because I can’t affroid new ones yet like my Bosh 18V door plainer, Jig saw and radio. I am currently looking at buying the 10.8V set that HD is selling currently for 139.99 for a driver and impact. Great tools I would highly recommend them as well along with the other Makita I own like my 11” planer and 10” sliding miter saw.

-- Juan, Fresno CA.

View DrAllred's profile

DrAllred

I have two sets of these in my shop, they are great. I am constantly driving 1 3/4” to 3” square drive wood screws into outdoor furniture, unfortunately, sometimes there is too much power that the screw will snap, being outdoor furniture, I sometimes just throw another screw in the same hole and the hammer/driver jsut puts it right in.

I would recommend them to anyone, they are light and easy to use.

Good stuff.

-- David, Mesa Arizona

View degoose's profile

degoose

6976 posts in 1957 days

Well reviewed. Larry the Cable Guy…
GetRDone….

-- Drink twice... and don't bother to cut... @ lazylarrywoodworks.com.au For lovers of all things timber...

View thiel's profile

thiel

I have these and love them. Lilred didn’t mention it, but these are REALLY compact drivers. I always found the DeWalt units powerful, but way too big.

I’ll mention too that they often have “bare” units of this tool on tooliday.com…. I picked up a second drill and a matching flashlight for about $50… both without the batteries.

-- Laziness minus Apathy equals Efficiency

View ND2ELK's profile

ND2ELK

I have a Makita 4 piece set and they are great tools. They are the green set with bigger batteries and I would recommend either set. Thanks for posting.

God Bless
tom

-- Mc Bridge Cabinets, Iowa

lilredweldingrod

Hey Doc, When driving the long stuff, dip the threads in dish soap or rub then on a bar of hand soap or a candle. any thing to lube the threads and that problem will be history.

Thanks guys for adding to my review. Good to know there are other happy campers out there. Rand

View Jamie Speirs's profile

Jamie Speirs

Rand,
thanks for the review.
I’ve about 4 of the 18v Makita and a spare under the bed.
They were in special for £85 with 3 batteries.
Previously I had an own brand 9v and it couldn’t drill butter. Then a certain young lad called me a dinosaur for still using a Stanley Yankee driver and a corded drill. So I did some research and went for the Makita 18v. Never looked back. I even thanked the young lad. (wanted to kick his butt at first though) LoL
jamie

-- Who is the happiest of men? He who values the merits of others, and in their pleasure takes joy, even as though 'twere his own. --Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

lilredweldingrod

Jamie, I still have my two Yankee drivers with the adapters to the new style hex bits. McFeely’s has the adapters. I just hate to throw away away a perfectly good tool. And I still use my 1/2 inch corded drills for hole saw etc.

Deke, Once you get your hands on a set of these, you will wonder how you ever got along with out them.

When I feel a review is in place, most of the time I have tried then for a year or two. After the new is worn off is when the real tool comes out.
Rand

View jack1's profile

jack1

1907 posts in 2629 days

I have the same set and love em. I replaced a 12v with them. They make a good tool.

-- jack -- ...measure once, curse twice!

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

OK Rand, I have a complaint….(-:

Have you ever thought what that 9.6V Makita felt when you….....abandoned it? Think of all the good years of use you got from that drill. How many nails you pounded in with the handle when there was no hammer handy, how many times you just threw it on the floor, or into the toolbox, and it never even whined. Where’s your humanity?

I have had two of those 9.6 v jobs, one finally bit the dust because of the trigger, their Achilles heal. The other lives on. I use it because it has a smaller form factor than my more powerful drill, and I usually have different gizmos chucked into each one for rapid use. I have two batteries purchased new in 2000. 10 years for a Nicad? Crazy. I keep wondering if I should buy new batteries for it, it must be at least 15 years old. I may, just for the laugh value, and the sentimentality of it.

My goto drill is a 18V Makita green Nickel metal hydride thing, and one look at it tells you, it will never die. It will drive anything, if it doesn’t put your shoulder out of joint first. It may not outlive my 25 year old Hitachi half sheet sander…...the Hitachi will certainly outlive me…....but the Makita will give the Hitachi a run for its money.

I bought that 18V Makita walking down a row of about 10 different roughly equivalent 18V drills…..and picking each one up. They all felt like crap in your hand, you know…..nose heavy, base heavy…......but the Makita just kinda jumped into your hand and felt like you didn’t even need to hold on…......and that is a true story.

Makita makes good drills.

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

lilredweldingrod

Jim, the next time I decide to write a review, I think I’ll have you do it for me. lol When I retired the 9.6v, I did it with dignity and put it out to pasture but will one day I will hand it down to an off spring.
I have used Hitachi and Makita for years and never had a bad one. When I replaced one, I had gotten my monies worth and 7 over.I’m glad everyone is enjoying their Makitas as we are. Rand

PS All complaints are filed over there———————————————————————————-> Keep going———> further———————

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

............can’t find where to put my next complaint….........................................(-:

Great review, Rand, Thanks…........I may go shopping….........

Jim

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

lilredweldingrod

Jim, Please see our complaint manager, Ms. Helen Waite. Thank you, Next!