This sander gets the job done!

Review by RONFINCH posted 11-07-2010 12:53 AM 3458 views 1 time favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
This sander gets the job done! This sander gets the job done! This sander gets the job done! Click the pictures to enlarge them

Apprehensive at first spending so much on a sander, my fears we relieved after the first board was run through. The packaging was excellent, isn’t styrofoam wonderful? The base was easy to assemble with good instructions (pictures) provided. Be advised, get some help to lift the sanding machine on the stand!!!! It is heavy !!!! The in-feed table was easy to install, along with the optional extensions. Tracking was perfect after loosening the shipping tension right out of the box. So far, so good, very pleased. The deciding facter for me purchasing this unit was seeing it on sale for $1699, down from $2099.

View RONFINCH's profile

View Greg..the Cajun Wood Artist's profile

Greg..the Cajun Wood Artist

5273 posts in 2060 days

#2 posted 11-07-2010 05:35 AM

Ron, you are going to get alot of great use out of this sander. I also have the non oscillating model and find it to be one of those tools that I should have bought long ago. The sandpaper is much cheaper if you buy it in rolls. I buy the 50 yard rolls and save alot of money on sandpaper.

-- Each step of every Wood Art project I design and build is considered my masterpieceā€¦ because I want the finished product to reflect the quality and creativeness of my work

#3 posted 11-07-2010 05:46 AM

I hope you enjoy it for years to come.

View Canadian Woodworks's profile

Canadian Woodworks

#4 posted 11-07-2010 04:55 PM

Sweet! I recommend you get sandpaper rolls from industrial abrasives, great price and by far the best paper i’ve used.

-- Paul Lemiski, Ontario Canada, Custom Wooden Rocking chairs and tables http://www.canadianwoodworks.com

View Greg..the Cajun Wood Artist's profile

Greg..the Cajun Wood Artist

5273 posts in 2060 days

#5 posted 11-07-2010 05:01 PM

Sandpaper link

View GaryL's profile

GaryL

#6 posted 11-07-2010 05:05 PM

I have this model also. I have feed belt tracking problems, although still functional. I also have some minor vibration problems while in the osc. mode. I’m going to try to adjust the gibs on the osc. rail and see if that helps. The longer life of the sandpaper is a major plus and the reduced burning if the paper is getting tired. I get rolls of paper from supergrit.

-- Gary; Marysville, MI...Involve your children in your projects as much as possible, the return is priceless.

View Castlewerks's profile

Castlewerks

#7 posted 11-07-2010 07:09 PM

Ron,

I have been looking at this model for a while and with the promotion that Jet was running, I finally ordered one as well—it should arrive next week… Now I just have to figure out where in the shop I’m going to put it :-)

Cheers,

-- -Michael ( http://www.castlewerks.com ) Groton, MA

#8 posted 11-08-2010 02:16 AM

Ron, this one is high on my wish list and I kicked myself for not asking my wife for an advance on my allowance when I saw the price drop. Thanks for the review. It definately makes me glad I have decided to get one of these.

View poroskywood's profile

poroskywood

#9 posted 11-08-2010 04:49 AM

I paid full price a year ago. Worth every penny! No regrets. Hands down the best!

-- There's many a slip betwixt a cup and a lip.--Scott

View TheOldTimer's profile

TheOldTimer

#10 posted 11-08-2010 07:56 PM

Ron: You will not regret the purchase. I also have the non-oscillating version and use it on every project in the shop. I replaced my conveyor belt with a neopreme or rubber drive belt and have been using it for about 3 years now. It out preformes the sanding belt that came with the machine. I also buy all my abrasives from Industrial Abrasives in bulk rools.

-- TheOldTimer,Chandler Arizona

15336 posts in 1940 days

#11 posted 11-09-2010 12:14 PM

Man thats a sander congrats! I’m jealous!

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

4806 posts in 1925 days

#12 posted 11-10-2010 02:32 AM

Like others are saying … I recently bought a used 16-32, and … it’s Tool Love.

So … that thing’s gotta’ be great !!!

Couple things I learned about the 16/32 that MAY be applicable to it’s larger brother:

1) Somebody put a “muffin fan” on the conveyor motor, to increase service life, by decreasing temperature. I may do that, too;

2) If yours has a circuit breaker, rather than the “Smart Start” circuitry (is that the right name ?), you may find yourself occasionally tripping the breaker, by dialing in either too much bite or too much belt speed. I bought a panel ammeter, and a plastic project box, and am going to wire the ammeter inline.

My motor is rated at 15A, so … if I stay south of that number … I should be able to either take bigger bites, run pieces through faster, or both … without tripping the breaker.

Plus … let’s be honest … it’ll be REALLY COOL to watch.

Gotta’ buy a few bits and pieces, to hook it in, but I’ll put up pics, when done.

Congrats !!!!

-- -- Neil

View Jonathan Alson's profile

Jonathan Alson

#13 posted 12-16-2011 03:02 PM

Theres a consumer based review over here too: jet 22-44 oscillating drum sander review

View thedouglascollection's profile

thedouglascollection

#14 posted 05-21-2014 01:24 AM

Just bought this unit 1 week ago. Must have gotten a lemon because my osc broke after less then 30 minutes of use. The cast iron hook that the moving arm attaches to snapped off. Not very happy.