Heavy duty and great price.

Review by carnutakp posted 1260 days ago 2179 views 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
Heavy duty and great price. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased this work stand for my 10” Craftsman Radial Arm Saw. I needed something in the garage that could carry the weight, not bend or torque under heavy lumber, and be transportable to job sites (mainly my back yard projects). I purchased this in November 2009 after being impressed with the Master Force Miter Saw Stand I reviewed.

I gave this unit 4 stars because I have only used it a few times, and it probably should be a 4.5. Here is what I like:

1. It is heavy and sturdy. A positive for the work I do, but a negative due to the weight when I have to fold it or move it.
2. Like the Miter Saw Stand, I prefer metal knobs and components to plastic, especially in cold weather conditions when plastic can shatter but metal only bends (and can be straightened)
3. The wheels also would be better if they were 10’ air filled tired for moving across lawns and job sites. I may have to add my own 10” tires if I move it often.
4. Good warranty and great price plus Menards rebates.
5. A built in power center would also be nice (I added a 6 outlet strip to provide multiple power outlets for $1.99).

The price is great compared to all the other units I looked at, it is heavier and sturdier, and flexible enough for me to make fit my use.

I should also say that I’m the type of guy who modifies and improves most all of the stands, tools, etc. that I buy. The guys who design this stuff may be great engineers, but they don’t work in the the field with these tools under a wide range of conditions it seems to me (and they have to keep the price down).

Same thing for almost everything I buy including cars. The real world has to accomodate how you use the product so I’m always adding or modifying something to improve its use, or making my own tools on occasion.

Am becoming a fan of Master Force and may have to start using their power tools when my other ones wear out.

I’m a serious DIYer on the scale of a professional carpenter, having built screened decks, open decks, my own home, woodworking, remodelling of homes (not just mine), etc. My tools get used and this one will too when the situation arises. I expect it to last a long time (except for maybe some of that plastic).

View carnutakp's profile

carnutakp

1 comment so far

View wwbob's profile

wwbob

I just got an email saying the Ryobi work stand was reduced from $99 to $79 at Home Depot. The Ryobi has no wheels, but looks somewhat sturdy.

-- "I like the quiet I hear." - Channing, age 4