Plenty of power in a small package

Review by Sawdustmaker posted 2336 days ago 1342 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Plenty of power in a small package No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased this sander after reading numerous other post and reviews. Several post I’ve seen talked about the tracking adjustment screw and the spring being weak with the need for constant readjustment. I have not found that to be true with mine at all. The unit is kind of wide for my hand but I’ve found like others that the place where the cord enters the unit is a good location for holding it and works fine for controlling the unit. I don’t have a large shop but I’ve used it numerous times and it is not as heavy as most due to its size. I found that Wood Craft carried the finer grit belts. I use a belt sander cleaning stick often and have yet to replace a belt. I also purchased The Porter Cable hose and have little to no problems when I’m running it with my dust collector. The hose also fits the Porter Cable plate joiner. Changing the belts takes very little time with little needs for tracking adjustment. I would recommend this sander to any wood worker. Its size allows the user to get into much smaller spaces than any belt sander I’ve seen on the market.

-- Brian, Virginia Beach

View Sawdustmaker's profile

Sawdustmaker

I’ve heard good comments about this sander from others. So it’s nice to know that it’s so good. I might pick one up. My sander has crapped out. really it keeps breaking belts.

View Bill's profile

Bill

I have had one of these sanders for more than a year, and it is great. The tracking is very good, and it is a nice size for getting into all kinds of areas. The one drawback I have seen is the case can get warm when using it for awhile. In the winter it is a good way to warm up your hands, but in the summer it can almost be too warm to hold.

Because of its size, I use it more than the larger DeWalt belt sander in the shop.

Good job Brian.

-- Bill, Turlock California, http://www.brookswoodworks.com

View DaveH's profile

DaveH

I have one of these. Gets a little warm when you use it. It’s a little heavy for one handed use. My hand gets tired of holding it if I run it very long. I always try this sander before I go to my 4” belt because it is lighter and easier to control. Haven’t had any problems with paper alignment. Would I buy another? Maybe, but first I’d take a good look at the competitors products.

-- DaveH - Boise, Idaho - “How hard can it be? It's only wood!”

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

Thanks for the review. I will be in the market for a BS soon.

View Douglas Bordner's profile

Douglas Bordner

I want one!

-- "Bordnerizing" perfectly good lumber for over a decade.

View Don Alexander's profile

Don Alexander

I have had mine for a year now. It works great but the case gets way hot whille using it. The first time this happened, I thought it was broken.

-- Don Alexander, Jacksonville, Florida

View throttle's profile

throttle

#7 posted 2099 days ago

I Love this belt sander and would also highly recomend it for anybody who sands more than measures…...

-- "Throttle"

View Steelmum's profile

Steelmum

#8 posted 2040 days ago

I just bought this sander, and it is perfect. Small enough to handle smaller jobs. Changing the paper was very easy. It does get very warm.

-- Berta in NC

View Todd A. Clippinger's profile

Todd A. Clippinger

#9 posted 2040 days ago

I love this sander and use it all the time.

I find this very easy to handle with one hand, but that is in comparison to using my Bosch 3×21 belt sander with one hand (which I was doing before this purchase.) Actually it does fit my hand very well.

I would also keep a larger belt sander in the shop. As you can guess, my other sander is the Bosch.

All of the belts that came with the sander broke almost immediately. Fortunately I also bought a variety of sanding belts and they were just fine.

I hook mine up to dust collection and I think that drawing air through the tool during it’s use helps it run cooler. I have not had the heat issue.

I clean my sanding belts with compressed air and it works well at removing dust and crud build-up.

-- Todd A. Clippinger, Montana, http://americancraftsmanworkshop.com

View saw4fun's profile

saw4fun

140 posts in 1936 days

#10 posted 1922 days ago

I have been wanting a good belt sander for quite sometime, and read this review this morning. Needless to say I went and bought one. What can I say?? .... Im Thrilled!! Don’t know how I managed without one for so long..

-- There is no such thing as scrap wood! Rastus NE www.nativelumber.net

View mrtbone's profile

mrtbone

13 posts in 1950 days

I bought one of these , I’m a weekend warrior…an this thing burned up sanding a cutting board. Took it apart, saw nothing but alot of sanding dust and chucked in the trash…4 days over a year..Back to the roadster.lol

-- best steak seasoning in the U.S. www.deccios.com