Great jointer for a great deal

Review by Vrtigo1 posted 11-06-2010 12:17 AM 5017 views 1 time favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great jointer for a great deal No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I picked one of these guys up second hand about 6 months ago and haven’t regretted it. It was already assembled, so I can’t speak to that aspect of it. Aside from having a little rust on the bed from sitting in a storage shed, it was in great shape. I’ve used it on a few projects and it’s always done everything I need it to do. I typically do not use a DC with it just because the area in my garage where it’s located is too far away. It does tend to fill up with wood chips, but what I do is vacuum it out with a shopvac after every board or two and it’s manageable. This isn’t really an issue with the jointer, but if you don’t have a DC and are thinking you’ll just vacuum the chips up off the floor, you should be aware that the chips will stay inside the housing until you remove them with your hand or a vacuum.

The only real complaint I have is that it doesn’t come with a mobile base (and as far as I know, Ridgid doesn’t make one for it). In my opinion, the best thing about this jointer is the price. Home Depot has been clearancing them, so if your store still has any, you can probably get one brand new for under $250. Otherwise, you should probably expect to pay about $250-300 on Craigslist.

View Vrtigo1's profile

Vrtigo1

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

4806 posts in 1929 days

#1 posted 11-06-2010 12:20 AM

You’ve joined a fairly sizable club of LumberJocks who also enjoy theirs—me included.

I slapped together an OSB base, in about 20 minutes, and tacked on casters. Ugly, but it works.

The ridiculous thing ? Holbren sends a helical spiral head for the JP0610 that costs … roughly what the jointer cost me, originally.

It’d be sheer madness to spend that much money, to be sure.

And yet … it’s always in the back of my mind.

As memory serves, assembly was NOT at all hard, and Ridgid had the great good sense to label, compartmentalize, and blister-pack all the assorted small parts—care that ALL manufacturers should take.

A GREAT tool for the money, in my book.

It ain’t an 8-incher, but ….. ;-)

-- -- Neil

View Sawdust4Blood's profile

Sawdust4Blood

#2 posted 11-06-2010 01:18 AM

I also have one and think it’s pretty hard to beat at this price point. Assembly was pretty straight forward and all adjustments were spot on right out of the box. You absolutely want to have dust collection available because this thing flat out makes some shavings.

-- Greg, Severn MD

View Wfarm's profile

Wfarm

#3 posted 11-06-2010 03:38 AM

i use this machine it is a good one

View dakotawood's profile

dakotawood

#4 posted 11-06-2010 05:58 AM

I found mine off craigslist a few yrs back for like $200. Great deal. It suits my needs just fine.

-- Travis, South Dakota

View hcwoodwkr's profile

hcwoodwkr

#5 posted 11-06-2010 01:17 PM

Well I just picked up my new planer, grabbed it on sale at HD and then got another 10% off. I have not had time to assemble yet but that will happen soon. I’m going from a bench top planner to a full size.

-- Bert, Maryland

View Bob42's profile

Bob42

#6 posted 11-06-2010 02:11 PM

I have one too. I got it this spring from craigs list, paid $200. and it was hardly used. Only about 2 years old. I love it and am putting it on a mobile base today. check out the base from Rockler it works well. I had it on my old table saw and now it’s going on the jointer.

-- Bob K. East Northport, NY

#7 posted 11-06-2010 02:13 PM

Enjoy

View JBoss's profile

JBoss

#8 posted 11-06-2010 02:35 PM

I don’t mean for this to sound condescending if you do have it removed, but as you got it already assembled it’s something you may have missed. The black plastic piece at the end of the dust shoot should not be on unless you have dust collection hooked up. The only reason I say this is because the times I have forgot to lift it up when using it without dc the chips stayed in. If the black plastic is up, they have always fallen to the floor.

View Gerry's profile

Gerry

253 posts in 1996 days

#9 posted 11-07-2010 01:44 AM

This jointer has been my first and only one. I bought it from a seller on Craig’s List, and have not been disappointed. It has ALWAYS done what I’ve asked of it, including shaping of legs for a table project. I’ve even added a second set of knives as a backup when i have some fine finishing to do.

Regarding dust collection, using the chute connected to a dust collector has been very good for me. If you can do it, it keeps the shop just that much cleaner. Enjoy you new tool!

-- -Gerry, Hereford, AZ ” A really good woodworker knows how the hide his / her mistakes.”

View lashing's profile

lashing

#10 posted 11-07-2010 04:39 PM

I have one of these are its a good jointer. I hear people talk 8” all the time but I dont get that thinking. 8” is not a wide board. I’d like a 15”+ jointer but its not in the cards. 6-8” makes absolutely no difference to me. Lucky for me I use my wide boards for guitars so the peices are not very long. I can level a 20” block with a handplane faster than I can dial in a machine. I use this jointer to “joint” the edges and it does that.

This Ridgid does what I need it to. It didnt take much setup. The blades were even level out of the box. Beds are acceptably flat.

Fence is a little flakey but for the price this is the unit I cannot say anything dissapoints. Much better than simular priced benchtop models. Aggressive cuts clog the dust port in minutes.

I got mine on craigslist from someone who took advantage on the sale. None were in stock around me. I still got a decent deal and that guy made a few $. He gave me his receipt. I cannot beleive what HD blew these out for. Can one really make something for these prices in China? Because I couldnt get the bed levelled for that price here … if I needed to that is.

View A10GAC's profile

A10GAC

#11 posted 11-07-2010 04:56 PM

Glad to hear all the good reviews, I just put mine together yesterday. The fence was a touch off 90* out of the box but we adjusted it right in without any trouble.

-- Men have become the tools of their tools. - Henry David Thoreau

View Viking's profile

Viking

857 posts in 1950 days

#13 posted 11-21-2010 06:28 PM

We have the Ridgid planer and it works very well. Assembly was easy and all adjustments were spot on from the Factory. We built a torson box base with casters to make it mobile and to raise it up about 8 inches for more comfortable operation. If you build your own base make sure that you install casters as close to the corners as possible as the jointer is top heavy.

Good luck, this is a great tool!

-- Rick Gustafson - Lost Creek Ranch - Colorado County, Texas

View csifishguy's profile

csifishguy

#14 posted 11-29-2010 02:19 AM

I was very smart got on the net found a picture of the home depot sign for $214.00 printed out the sign took the picture to my local home depot, they took the price from $364.00 down to $214.00 for a brand new one in the box!! what a great deal, So far it works great

View Vrtigo1's profile

Vrtigo1

#15 posted 11-30-2010 04:33 AM

csifishguy, I’ve tried doing that before and it usually doesn’t work. They want to be able to look up the price at another store in the computer, and they’ll generally only price match if the store with a lower price is in their same geographic area.