Fine Woodworking Online well worth the $5

Review by StumpyNubs posted 1355 days ago 4413 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Fine Woodworking Online well worth the $5 No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

My money is hard to come by and harder to justify spending. So when I do indulge in a woodworking subscription I demand a great deal of bang for my buck. Well, let me tell you, five bucks never went so far! I subscribe to Fine Woodworking’s online content, and it’s a five star find in my book.

First of all, you get to read the magazine as soon as the newest issues come out. That means you don’t have to buy the regular mail subscription. I know, I also like the paper issue so I can read it while I sit on the toilet like the rest of you. But think of the possibilities of a digital edition- it’s a full color PDF version of each article which can be saved on your computer and kept forever without taking up any space on your bookshelf. And because each article is it’s own file, you can organize them by subject- which is a lot handier than you may think. I have folders on my PC for “Sharpening”, “Tools”, “Chair plans”… etc. It’s great to be able to just open a folder and see a list of the articles I want rather than using an index, or worse yet, paging through stacks of back issues to find an article.

And you can fill those folders fast because you also get instant access to hundred, perhaps thousands of past articles, all in full color just like the original magazine, and all available for you to save to your PC! It’s like getting a new magazine subscription AND getting the expensive CD’s of back issues for free!

Add to that the classified ads, instructional videos, blogs, letters, even projects galleries and this will have you wishing you could give it a SIX star rating.

Bottom line is, if you were going to subscribe to Fine Woodworking Magazine, you’d be silly not to just get the online edition rather than the paper one.

By the way, check out my blog here on Lumberjocks-

And add me to your buddies list!

View StumpyNubs's profile

StumpyNubs

View Shopsmithtom's profile

Shopsmithtom

Thanks for the info. I intend to check that out, as I love FWW. I’ve been getting back issues in bunches off ebay pretty reasonable, but this sounds like a great idea to keep current. -SST

-- Accuracy is not in your power tool, it's in you

View Millo's profile

Millo

Is it $5 a month? $60 a year. That’s cool. I mean, the paper mag is a bit less than that w/ their deals, plus you get all the vids, right?

View Derek Lyons's profile

Derek Lyons

It’s not just the videos Millo, it’s also all their back issues, project plans, extras…

-- Derek, Bremerton WA --

View Maveric777's profile

Maveric777

I agree Jim. I picked up the subscription a couple of months back, and have become quite a big fan of it. You seriously cant beat the bang for the buck on this deal. I too am on a budget and tickled with it so far.

-- Dan ~ Texarkana, Tx.

View Millo's profile

Millo

I am on a SERIOUSLY tight budget, so I’ll look into soon, maybe after the start of the new year, when I’m sure I’ll be able to benefit from it.

Thanks for the recommendation.

View rance's profile

rance

What Millo said “Is it $5 a month? or $5 a year?” For $5 a year, I’m in. Where do I sign up?

-- Backer boards, stop blocks, build oversized, and never buy a hand plane--

View baldeaglebaby's profile

baldeaglebaby

Just signed up for my free 14 day trial. You can sign up on a monthly basis at $4.95 or you can sign up for a year at $34.95.

111999 posts in 2172 days

Finewooding was my only teacher for years. Well worth having.

View mtkate's profile

mtkate

2049 posts in 1920 days

Totally agree. I don’t have much time to indulge but it’s well worth the price.

View Jim Crockett (USN Retired)'s profile

Jim Crockett (USN Retired)

I have subscribed to the Fine Woodworking online site for a couple of years now and I find it invaluable. As mentioned before, all prior articles are available as well as videos, blogs, plans. It is actually much more comprehensive than a subscription to the magazine. You’ll also have access to user tips which, by itself, is nearly worth the cost of the subscription.

Jim

-- A veteran is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including his/her life".