Lee Valley Short shank Drill bits A handy accessory

Review by Bob #2 posted 1357 days ago 2962 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Lee Valley Short shank Drill bits A handy accessory No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’m starting to feel like the Official Greeter at Lee Valley but here goes.
I picked up these bits on a hunch that they would prove useful and now they are part of my mobile drill kit.
The size is just perfect for many jobs like starting screws, fitting hinges, etc as the distance from bit to drill is short and gives you a better sense of parallel and more hand force to drive the bit straight.

Short Drill Bits

The shorter length has saved me grief a couple of times in the last two weeks as shown here.

You can get them here if they interest you:

View degoose's profile

degoose

6970 posts in 1952 days

I would love to live near a Lee Valley store. As it is … I order and then wait a few weeks for the boat to arrive…
The Joys of living in the land downunder…
This set of drill bits look very useful.. thanks for all your posts..

-- Drink twice... and don't bother to cut... @ lazylarrywoodworks.com.au For lovers of all things timber...

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

Neat.

There’s always just a BIT of suction, coming FROM Lee Valley and pulling ON my wallet.

If I EVER win the Lotto … Lee Valley is going to be very happy :-)

-- -- Neil

Bob Nice review.

View TheDane's profile

TheDane

Bob … Your review is right on. I bought these bits a few weeks ago, and they are terrific.

Good review.
For those of us that fight the Lee Valley suction every day there are other solutions as well.

For brad point bits one could shorten the shank.

For twist bits, I prefer to save any broken ones and put new points on them.
I start mine on a grinder.
Then finish them on the drill doctor.

Drill doctor is one of THE best tools I have ever purchased.

-- "A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila." ~Mitch Ratcliffe

Bob #2

11 drills with hex shafts for non slip performance in my drill – $19.95= $1.80 a piece.
Doe yur drill doctor do Brad points too?

randi

Bob2, are you saying your bits slip in the chuck of your drill?
I haven’t had that issue since I was a child personally.
And this is doing serious metal fab drilling in steel and other metals, never even came close to spinning one in a chuck in wood.
I would guess you need a new chuck for the suspect drill or to review your tightening technique.
Heck, even my cordless drills with hand tightening chucks don’t slip.

My drill doctor does not sharpen brad points, but my bench grinder, and a narrow wheel does, along with me…the original drill doctor. :-)

Like you eluded to, drill bits are cheap, i’d bet some of the ones I have cut down over the years were half that $1.80 a piece price if you really want to get down to it.

My issue with the hex bits really doesn’t apply to woodworking useage but if you were using those in situations like drilling steel, that transition from the drill shank to the hex shank is a huge stress riser, and a definite point of failure.

Bob #2

Yes the drills slip on occasion when, as you say, I haven’t tightened the chuck sufficiently. I also use a hammer drill that will only take hex bits so having two sets with me is a rather poor option. I don’t think waiting until I have a complete set of broken drills to refurbish is a really good option for me as I have a tendency to buy a half dozen of my most used sizes at a crack to save me time on a job.
I will rarely drill steel without using a tapping fluid which, incidentally, is also an added expense but greatly improves the life of my bits.
Lastly, $1.80 a bit does not seem a lot of money to me but then perhaps my income may be different than yours.

randi

No it’s not a bad price, in my original post I was simply offering alternatives in frugal Yankee style.

We are such a throwaway society, and your average person doesnt think like people used to about reusing and re-purposing.

Example one could probably go to yard sales, put together a few sets of bits and sharpen them by hand or using a machine for less than one set of these new ones.

Do you mean you have an impact driver and you are drilling with it?

Concrete fasteners.