Garrett Wade Aluminum Straight Edge 38 inch

Review by barryvabeach posted 11-04-2010 03:08 AM 3398 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Garrett Wade Aluminum Straight Edge  38 inch No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I just received a Garrett Wade aluminum straight edge 38 inch and wanted to post a review. First, years ago Garrett Wade had lots of woodworking tools, but seem to have cut way back lately. I looked at their steel straightedges last year, but the quoted tolerances were awlful ( IIRC .0005 per inch ) The aluminum straight edge is quoted at .002 over the whole length, which is pretty good. I have a granite surface plate that allowed be to check up to about 20 inches at a time, and could not insert a .001 feeler gauge anywhere – I thought that was pretty good. The website has a good picture of the item, solid black, except the milled bottom. It stands on its edges, though I haven’t messed with it much. The box says made in Taiwan, but I did not see a manufacturers name.

View barryvabeach's profile

barryvabeach

View Wickate's profile

Wickate

#1 posted 11-04-2010 04:48 PM

Thank you for the helpful review!

Chad

#2 posted 11-04-2010 04:51 PM

Invaluable.

Seems like one of those things that you … never know how you lived without it, after you get one.

#3 posted 11-04-2010 06:00 PM

And the price was ? with or without shipping / handling ?

#4 posted 11-04-2010 06:03 PM

$30, or … the pair—24” and 38” are on sale….

#5 posted 11-04-2010 06:09 PM

Thanks a lot , Neil …the pair seems like quite a bargain for $40 : )

#6 posted 11-04-2010 06:12 PM

Hard to argue that.

I always use my 4’ Stabila level, but … I haven’t found anything flat enough to check ITS accuracy.

Does anybody know whether the granite slabs, used in homes, are dead flat ? Our builder screwed ours up, in shape, and left us the “bad” one, when he re-did it.

If I could be sure IT was dead flat, it’d be very handy….

#7 posted 11-04-2010 06:23 PM

I’ve also used my 4’ level , but sometimes it’s just too long for the area I’m working in and God only knows how accurate it is over its length.
I can’t answer your Granite question , but I would check it out with your Stabila as best as you can and go from there.