Big Step Up in HVLP

Review by Chilly posted 11-02-2010 10:47 PM 4230 views 2 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
Big Step Up in HVLP No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I was, up to this point using a Lemmer A-710S bleeder that came with the T-55Q Two-Stage turbine. It did a great job with most basic finishing and I never really had noticed any need to improve the equipment. The problems that did exist where generally in terms of cleaning, because it was a standard bottom-feeding type of gun with a 1 quart capacity which was a too big for most jobs.

The realization came that a more mobile, gravity fed gun would be preferable as well a search for one that had reduced overspray and better atomization when I struggled with an automotive lacquer finish on a set of kitchen cabinets I was doing. Plain flat doors in a solid dark blue showed EVERY imperfection you could imagine and even ones I didn’t know had been invented yet. This gun was revelation.

It’s cost from Felder Machinery Imports (here in Canada) was $299 before taxes and worth every penny. It was purchased separate from the turbine even though Fuji recommends a 3-stage I just wasn’t at the stage (cough) where I was ready to make that step. It works just fine with my two-stage Lemmer and until I notice the need I’ll probably stick with it as the atomization it leaps and bound ahead of the Lemmer A-710 using the same turbine.

The gun is has a 400 cc (.85 pint) gravity fed and pressurized cup so the size is perfect for doing the more medium to small sized jobs where sometimes only a small amount of material needs to be sprayed with very minimal waste. It is balanced extremely well and this may be just a result of it being a gravity feed versus a bottom with a larger cup but comparing it to guns with the feed cup directly over the body of the gun as opposed to how it (the G-Xpc) has the cup set to the right of the gun body, it feels much more like a part of your hand and makes it much more maneuverable with a smaller height to width ratio so it can really get into tight spots; certainly it is much better than my big bottom feeder.

The spray pattern adjustment knob, located on the left side directly behind the aircap collet is about as easy to use as it gets. It is located in the perfect spot and you can change from full fan to circular pattern easier than turning the volume knob on your car stereo (do they even have knobs on those anymore?) It is very fluid in its adjustment and feels step-less (as it should, but it was worth mentioning how smooth it is). The range of motion on the adjustment knob is a bit short so you don’t have as much room as would be preferable to make small adjustments in pattern shape but the fluidity of the knob movement makes it less of a problem.

The air-cap does a fantastic job of atomizing that is so far ahead of my old gun that I felt a bit like I was cheating in the skills department and that somehow I was letting the equipment overtake my need to improve my gun adjustment knowledge but despite that, it has allowed me to focus more on spraying technique and for that I am grateful.

Cleaning is actually painless and oftentimes odourless. You do not need to attached the gun to the turbine to clean it and this feature works great. Simply putting your water or solvent in the cup and opening the volume knob all the way and depressing the trigger will run the fluid through the gun and out the tip without having to blast solvent into the air. Even though most things are going low-voc and water-based even having the option to clean the gun without blasting it is a nice, quiet option that is less hassle since I have no water in my shop and I sometimes have to go to the kitchen tap to clean it out. Despite this convenience I still give it a quick blast at full volume once completely finished or in-between stages just to blow out any contaminants that the delicate gravity flow may not force out but overall it is a great feature.

The trigger action is extremely fluid as well. There is also a small “kick-stand” below the feeder cup that allows you to sit the gun on a counter like a tripod. Very stable and I use it all the time, either between coats or when filling the cup.

What else to say? No complaints so far as it works better than I imagined, super easy to clean, fantastic atomization (those blue cabinets are car-show worthy now and don’t look like a clacker job) with minimal overspray (really). I’ve sprayed w/b lacquer and standard solvent-based automotive lacquer with it to produce factory results. I do have the benefit of good cross-draft ventilation which helps too. I have not tried spraying urethanes yet but I will likely be doing so in the near future.

It comes with a 1.4mm cap standard and it has worked great so far. I’ve successfully sprayed stains with that cap size on my old gun and it worked fine so when it comes to that with the G-xpc I expect it to be similar or better.

Worth every cent.

-- can't talk, woodworking -- p1g furniture design

View Chilly's profile

Chilly

1 comment so far

View stevecabinum's profile

stevecabinum

#1 posted 11-03-2010 04:02 PM

Thanks for a great review! I’ve heard good things about these and have been considering purchasing one as well to avoid having to thin so much material for my Qt bottom feeder. Glad to hear you’re happy with it and looking forward to seeing some of the results.