This Saw is SWEET

Review by sarquis posted 10-31-2010 02:21 AM 3987 views 2 times favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
This Saw is SWEET No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Hello All,
New to posting on Lumberjocks, Hope to be doing alot more.
Picked up the new Bosch Axial Glide Miter Saw today. This thing is AMAZING. I really enjoyed my 12” Ridgid Sliding saw. Never had any complaints about it. But this bosch is a whole different animal
It is so smooth. i just started playing with it today.
I will be posting a in depth review in a about a week or so.
If anyone else has one, could you post some feedback, reviews, insight, etc.
Thanks
Jiam from NJ

PS Going to be getting rid of a 12” ridgid sliding miter saw soon if anyone is intetested. Purchased in Nov 09.

View Rick Boyett's profile

Rick Boyett

#1 posted 10-31-2010 04:45 AM

I’m thinking about buying this saw sometime next year. I’d can’t wait to hear more about this from you..

#2 posted 10-31-2010 04:50 AM

It looks cool

I have a Ridgid it works great and the Bosch sliding compound before your new one I like it even better but the Ridgid will be great for someone.

View ChunkyC's profile

ChunkyC

856 posts in 1941 days

#3 posted 10-31-2010 05:02 AM

I have the older 12” slider and it’s a great saw except for the fact that you have to have a 40 acre field to set it up in. If I hadn’t had to pay close to $600 for it, I would get one of these for sure.

-- Chunk's Workshop pictures: http://spadfest.rcspads.com/thumbnails.php?album=135

View Greedo's profile

Greedo

#4 posted 10-31-2010 09:13 AM

i Should have this saw!! there was a nearly new one on ebay for €550 (retail is €1250 in belgium) but i was so distracted in the workshop yesterday that i missed the end of the auction. and apparently there was only 1 bid and some lucky ** got it for 550.
such an occasion is unlikely to come again soon

View WillTheEngineer's profile

WillTheEngineer

#5 posted 10-31-2010 04:42 PM

I like this one and the Hitachi C12RSH that has the rails on the side, geared miter adj, up front micro adj, etc… Both don’t take up much room. I think we need to see a match up!

View Greedo's profile

Greedo

#6 posted 10-31-2010 06:27 PM

wait a sec, now i see it’s the new axial glide gcm 12sd, i got confused because the regular compound version has the same name here. but the axial glide isn’t announced yet in europe.
was there some kind of special temporary discount because it’s a new model?

View Bovine's profile

Bovine

114 posts in 2014 days

#7 posted 11-01-2010 06:12 AM

Yea, I’m really curious about how accurate this is on its preset bevel/miter detents. That and how the rail-less system works. Not having rails both intrigues me and makes me a bit nervous as to if it will develop some slop over time.

-- Kansas City, KS "Nothing is as permanent as a temporary solution"

#8 posted 11-01-2010 09:41 AM

Bovine,
The detents are the money. I cut about 90’ of chair rail yesterday. All the pieces had miters on both ends. Perfect 90’s. Very tight miters.
As for the glide. It works on sealed bearing. It feels great with no slop. Unlike a rail system where some type of insert is riding on a rail and can where out. It’s also Very smooth. I can push the head with one finger and hardly any force.
Thanks

View joebazooka's profile

joebazooka

#9 posted 11-01-2010 02:24 PM

I am looking to buy a new saw was going to go with a rigid. but I am not so sure now, keep me posted on how it works out. Thanks.

-- Robert-maine

View Bovine's profile

Bovine

114 posts in 2014 days

#10 posted 11-01-2010 05:22 PM

Thanks Sarquis. I’m in the market for a miter saw and really hadn’t considered this one. I might have to save up a few more dollars and get it. Seems like it’s worth the extra cash.

-- Kansas City, KS "Nothing is as permanent as a temporary solution"

#11 posted 11-02-2010 12:02 AM

If I could you give a percentage, I would say that it’s a 70/30 split. I think it’s quite good for a miter saw. They are the worst when it comes to making a mess. But so far I’m happy

View Abbott's profile

Abbott

2570 posts in 1990 days

#12 posted 11-02-2010 06:24 PM

I must resist the new $800.00 Bosch miter saw! But it sure looks like a good one and I look forward to seeing it in person.

View lashing's profile

lashing

#13 posted 11-10-2010 06:15 AM

No one around me has this saw. They are all trying to sell the old version that slides. I really like this design and hope to hear from more people who actually use one.

View mdoan's profile

mdoan

#14 posted 12-06-2010 09:44 PM

For some odd reason, I’ve misplaced the dongle to my festool vacuum so I haven’t had a chance to test the Bosch’s dust collection hookup. Using the supplied bag, initial impression (working outside building a deck) is that the bag fills up nicely. Having said that, there is still dust everywhere and the bag fills/clogs quickly.

Another observation is that the rubber chute that directs cutoff dust into the bag does not work well when you using the slide motion… it get’s bent backwards. This is not a problem on a straight chop motion.

Again, these observations are all without active vacuum connection. The festool system does spoil a person for it’s dust collection capabilities.

-- Wood Chopper

View mdoan's profile

mdoan

#15 posted 01-07-2011 01:40 AM

Followup to my first comment…

Now that I’ve built a second deck, I have to say that the dust collection of this monster is terrible. I still have not connected it to an active vacuum system but the passive catch bag leaves dust everywhere. This is cutting outdoors and indoors.

-- Wood Chopper