Why pay more?

Review by lovinmrv posted 1368 days ago 3730 views 1 time favorited 21 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Why pay more? Why pay more? No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought a new (used) craftsman belt drive table saw about a month ago and was amazed at the vibration. So, following the lead of all the LJ’s who love their link belts, I thought I’d give it a try.

In comparing prices, I found two price points:
- Harbor freight at $4 per foot, and
- Everyone else at $8 per foot.

Yankee that I am, guess which price point I chose?

I adjusted the length and installed the belt in under 30 minutes last night (Note: I sized the belt to match the inside diameter of the old V-belt that was on the saw, thinking that it would give me room for inevitable stretching as it worked itself in.)

I fired up the saw, and instead of shake rattle and roll, I got a nice hmmmm, and made several test cuts.

Curious, and having seen the quarter trick done on a SawStop, I pulled out my trusty vibration sensing device and set it on edge on the saw table.

The picture is the proof…smooth as silk, the quarter stood there like nothing was happening.

I’ll look forward to seeing how this belt holds up, but for now, I am very pleased.

The only reason for 4 stars is the snails pace shipping to get the belt…about 9 days. But, good things are worth waiting for.

I hope this is helpful.

-- Life is a sales job.

View lovinmrv's profile

lovinmrv

View Bluepine38's profile

Bluepine38

I agree, I put one on the rebuilt Delta 6” jointer and it works great. HF just put a store in Missoula about
4 months ago, so I do not have the shipping issue.

As ever, Gus the 71 yr young laborer, trying to become a carpenters apprentice.

-- As ever, Gus-the 75 yr young apprentice carpenter

View ducky911's profile

ducky911

Hi,

I have just finished a tune up on my table saw and I bought this belt and it is very good. After I got it I bought new pulley set that came with a belt———- exact same belt

The pulley set gave me mere power on my 30 year old contractor craftsman. And the belt made it run smoother.

Harbor freight is so good whish they get into more wood working stuff.

Bob

View IrreverentJack's profile

IrreverentJack

Thanks for this review. I’ve been looking at this for a while and wondering how it compares to my red belt. If it goes on sale I’ll try it out. -Jack

View Jimi_C's profile

Jimi_C

Interesting, I didn’t know HF had a version of this. I’ll need one if I ever get around to finishing my bandsaw, I’ll definitely grab one from them.

View Bryan_M's profile

Bryan_M

I buy the same belts. They work great. Don’t know if anyone noticed but mine actually said “made in the USA”

View Roger's profile

Very good review. Thnx. How long have you had this green belt on your (how old is your craftsman TS?) saw? I read somewhere long, long ago, that these types of belts would get ate up by the pullys…. huh… maybe not…. appreciate your feedback

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View lovinmrv's profile

lovinmrv

Hi Roger, thanks.

I installed the belt yesterday, so this is not an extended use review.

I’m guessing that the saw is 25 years old. I’ll do a search on the model and serial number search and report back.

-- Life is a sales job.

112000 posts in 2179 days

good Idea.

View Roger's profile

thnx a bunch for the response. my saw (craftsman) is/was made back in the ‘50’s to the best of my knowledge. I bought it off a friend whom the saw was left to when he passed. Anyway, I’ve added the Beisemeyer fence to it, which really helped a bunch. It purrs pretty good. I’ll be happy to hear how your belt holds up. Maybe you can “clock” your hours or somethin…. ruff guestimate would be fine I guess. I would definately check your pulley everytime you turn this on….. just to be safe. Keep me posted. Thnx again

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View Lochlainn1066's profile

Lochlainn1066

Wow, for $4/ft I will have to start upgrading more of my tools. I love link belt but it’s usually expensive. Sometimes HF has gems among the TSO’s (Tool Shaped Objects).

-- Nate, thegaragestudio.etsy.com

View dlmckirdy's profile

dlmckirdy

I don’t know what took so long on the shipping. I just bought a bandsaw riser block kit from HF and it arrived in two days. I bought the bandsaw in the local (Bakersfield, CA) store, but you have to order the riser kit from HF Corporate.

-- Doug, Bakersfield, CA - I measured twice, cut it twice, and it is still too short!

View RandyMarine's profile

RandyMarine

235 posts in 1971 days

I have been looking for some cheap link belts for my tools…I wasn’t going to pay some of the rediculous prices some companies want. Thanks very much for the review! I will go to HF today and pick one up for my Jointer…that thing vibrate like a beast.

-- Semper Fi, Randy Sr.

View nmkidd's profile

nmkidd

Thanks for the tip….......need one of these for a jointer i’m refurbing!!!..........Harbor freight has a store close by so next trip will see one of these in my shop!

note: i’ve ordered from HF and have waited up to 10 days.

dimckirdy: all mail order from HF comes from hq in camarillo, ca….about 100 miles from you….and you may have lucked out and it was ‘on the shelf’ ready to go.

-- Doug, New Mexico.......the only stupid question is one that is never asked!........don't fix it, if it ain't broke!

I wish I read this just few days ago, before I bought new V-Belts for my band saw.

Nonetheless, I have found by experimentation that the link belts are no better than cogged v-belts in some applications, and no better than top quality ordinary v-belts in others. Cogged belts share many of the advantages of link belts: excellent vibration dampening characteristics,

In my job place, we use hundred of V-Belts and we had very bad luck with cogged belts.
We much prefer standard V-Belts.
My experience is that cogged belts as taht they break much easier than standard belts.
The cogs break lose.
In addition I believe that ‘link-belts” were invented by a company named “link-belt”
( http://www.linkbelt.com/) for which I used to work. Link-Belt now build cranes and excavators.