WorkSharp WS2000 sharpening system - video review

Review by John posted 01-17-2008 08:06 AM 7235 views 2 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
WorkSharp WS2000 sharpening system - video review No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Here’s my e-x-t-e-n-d-e-d video review of the WorkSharp WS2000.

Here are two (much better) reviews on the WS3000 and the Veritas alternatives:

Thanks to all of you who are bearing with my videos as I learn while I go! I apologize for the length of the video – I just want to sharpen everything in my shop!

Errata: I keep calling it “WorkShop” in the video – I mean “WorkSharp” – I keep saying stropping, although I’m not sure it’s a word and I’m tired of hearing myself saying it. I also keep saying “shavings” when I mean “filings” — again thanks for your patience.

The WS3000 is probably a better product, but I think you get 80% of the WS3000 for 50% of the price by going with the WS2000 – so a lot of bang for the buck, but definitely more suited towards amateurs like me.

I have never set hands on the Veritas Mk II system, but based on its larger disc (allowing flattening the bases of larger planes and more flexibility) and it’s micro-bevel capabilites, it’s probably worth the $89 bump over the WS3000.

I would recomend the WS2000 for hobbyists like myself, but the lack of more pro features keeps me from giving it a full 5 stars.

-- John - Central PA - http://affyx.wordpress.com

View John's profile

John

View shaun's profile

shaun

#1 posted 01-17-2008 01:19 PM

Thanks for the video JC. I’ve been contemplating the purchase of one of these and have wanted to see one in action.

-- I've cut that board three times and it's still too short!

View MsDebbieP's profile

MsDebbieP

#2 posted 01-17-2008 02:18 PM

nice review with the thoughts re: comparisons.

-- ~ Debbie, Canada (https://www.facebook.com/DebbiePribeleENJOConsultant)

View Dadoo's profile

Dadoo

#3 posted 01-17-2008 02:19 PM

Thanx JC…Good review. I’m thinkin’ of adding one of these to my wish list.

-- Bob Vila would be so proud of you!

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

#4 posted 01-17-2008 02:50 PM

I have the 3000. I would suggest the extra investment.

View Don Niermann  's profile

Don Niermann

#5 posted 01-24-2008 04:53 AM

Same here go for the 3000

-- WOOD/DON (...one has the right to ones opinion but not the right to ones own facts...)

View Bruce's profile

Bruce

#6 posted 01-27-2008 04:14 PM

Nice review. The video really adds complete knowledge of the use and functionality of the machine. I’ve seen several sharpening devices on the market but always decide that, being a hobbyist rather than a “in business” woodworker, I decide I can better spend my money on some rough-cut cherry or maple boards for projects. My blades and drill bits only seem to get dull after about 5 years so by then taking them to a sharpening service or a new one is a better option for me and my chisels are 6 years old and still really sharp. This policy also helps me keep up with advances in technology, etc., etc.

-- I think of Jack Nicholson as the Joker in Batman when he says "Where does he get those wonderful toys" and ask WHERE DO U GUYS GET ALL THAT WONDERFUL WOOD?

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

#7 posted 05-10-2010 04:13 PM

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

View bigike's profile

bigike

4031 posts in 1945 days

#8 posted 05-10-2010 05:20 PM

thanks for the review the only suggestion i would make is keeping a cup of water near to cool the tools off a bit quicker. I know that water and electricity don’t mix but just a dip in the water is good ( with the chisels or plane blades) this is what i do for mine on my bench grinder. You did help me to make up my mind to go ahead and get though. ;)

-- Ike, Big Daddies Woodshop, http://www.icombadaniels@yahoo.com

View bluejazz's profile

bluejazz

#9 posted 05-15-2011 01:26 PM

Thanks for the review. I know you posted this long ago and may not need this now but others viewing this might. There is a step by step pdf guide you might want to look at available at :

-- I'm 56. In my mind, I still feel 26. Until I do something physical; then I feel 76.

View StumpyNubs's profile

StumpyNubs

#10 posted 12-31-2011 04:27 PM

Thought you may like to see my video of the Upgrades I made to the Work Sharp including one that allows you to use Tormek jigs AND how to use cheap buffing compound instead of sandpaper instead of diamond wheels and compounds: