Solid router, good value with lots of nice features

Review by Vrtigo1 posted 10-26-2010 04:59 AM 2552 views 1 time favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Solid router, good value with lots of nice features No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Picked one of these guys up secondhand on Craigslist and am glad I did. This is my fourth router coming after a Hitachi M12V, PC 7518 and a cheapo Craftsman. Of these, this is my go-to router. It has enough power to do everything I’ve ever asked of it, and when using it I get the feel that it was well designed and built. It’s not too heavy, which helps a lot if you’re going to be using a router for an extended period of time. It has an extra long cord which has a power indicator on the plug so you can easily tell when it’s “live”. The clear base and lights underneath the motor are great for keeping an eye on the bit where it contacts the workpiece. It includes both 1/2” and 1/4” collets (every other router I own only came with one). It also includes a dust collection shroud, but I’ve never used it because I don’t have a hose that matches the size of the outlet on it. The carrying bag is really nice. Much better than a plastic case because you can easily store everything away without having to fight to get all the accessories and the cord to fit. I’ve had some trouble with the motor sticking when removing it from the bases, but it’s not too bad. If not for that, this would be a 5 star review.

I was using the router the other day, and the thought occurred to me that I really enjoy using it so I should write a review. To me, that’s the sign of a good tool. I’d buy it again and would have no reservations about recommending it to a friend.

View Vrtigo1's profile

Vrtigo1

View surfin2's profile

surfin2

#1 posted 10-26-2010 06:31 AM

Good review…
It looks alot like a PC 890…

-- Rick

View brtech's profile

brtech

#2 posted 10-26-2010 06:20 PM

In what way is it different from the Hitachi? I have an MV12 and it seems to have most of the virtues other than the light.

View CedarFreakCarl's profile

CedarFreakCarl

#3 posted 10-27-2010 02:22 AM

This is a great router. Smooth and powerful and has great features like the lighted plug and the dust collection. A lot of bang for the buck. I’ve had one for three years. The only problem I’ve had with mine is that the bits and the collet get stuck in the router and I have to coax them out with a big screw driver and a hammer. I’ve tried polishing up with steel wool and also put wd40 on the affected parts. Any ideas? This only seems to affect the 1/2” collet so I guess maybe a replacement is in order.

-- Carl Rast, Pelion, SC

View RexMcKinnon's profile

RexMcKinnon

2593 posts in 1939 days

#4 posted 10-27-2010 09:27 PM

Nice. I also have this router but it is rated at 2hp not 2 1/4hp. I don’t remember the amps though. The current model is still rated at 2 hp. I think Ridgid downgraded the rating for some reason because everything else is identical. I also think this is a great router. I’m looking for an edge guide for it and am having problems finding one. Anyone out there have any suggestions.

-- If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail!

View RandyMarine's profile

RandyMarine

#5 posted 10-28-2010 07:12 AM

I own this router and love it…I have only worked with 2 a ryobi and this one…and it is a dream to use…I built my first bookcase with it and now I have no problems setting it up for anything. I did have an issue with the sticking base so I just rubbed wax on it…seems to do ok now.

-- Semper Fi, Randy Sr.

View dawgwalker's profile

dawgwalker

#6 posted 12-13-2010 06:36 AM

I agree I just purchased this at Home depot a few weeks ago and Home depot took the Lowes coupon so I picked the set for $179. I purchased this because I was looking for a router that had good dust collection with the router. I have a Porter Cable 690 and it is a pain to change the bits and the Ridgid with 1 wrench set up works perfect also I mounted the base to my table and now I can adjust the height above the table which is a added bonus. The plunge base has brass fitting and after spraying a little WD40 works like butter. IMO this router is quieter and with the extra dust collection accessories and Bag and lifetime warranty is a no brainer to buy…Love this tool.

Mike

View shimster's profile

shimster

#7 posted 01-10-2011 04:15 PM

Love this router also. Currently on clearance at HD for $129 BEFORE a 10% off Lowes coupon. Christmas in January?

-- Less is More.....expensive

View Vrtigo1's profile

Vrtigo1

#8 posted 07-16-2011 08:55 PM

brtech: The M12V is a plunge-only router whereas this one has two separate bases that can be switched out depending on the task at hand. The M12V is also beefier, off the top of my head I think the M12V is around 3 HP and the Ridgid is probably closer to 1 3/4 HP. To be honest with you, since I got the Ridgid, the M12V has sat unused. I’m not even sure that I know where it is. Don’t get me wrong, they’re both great routers but the Ridgid can do everything I’ve needed so far, so I haven’t had a reason to dig up the M12V.