Elijah and Lazarus

Review by sawblade1 posted 1369 days ago 2773 views 0 times favorited 21 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Elijah and Lazarus Elijah and Lazarus Elijah and Lazarus Click the pictures to enlarge them

Good evening LJ’s posting another review of the tools I love The first pics show the two of them together, The second pic shows Lazarus the 18v drill who is the newest addition rescued from the trash bin and the third pic shows Elijah the cordless 12v drill who has served me for over 14 years this November:) You just can’t kill these things This past Monday I found the 18v drill in a trash bin no batteries or charger with a locked up gear box after carefully disassembling the drill and finding a broken shifter I called DeWalt, The tech was great he not only made sure it was the right part but sent it to me at No charge!!!! Till then my drill only has one speed, but will be up to par this week:)
The DW972 12v drill has seen the gates of drill Hell, two days after I got it my shop roof collapsed and filled the five gallon bucket with the drill in it full of water, Afraid it was toast I pulled the trigger and IT WORKED !!!! through the years it has suffered two falls off the roof, one off a three story house and the other off my new shop:)
I averaged about 8 years off the batteries of the 12v and only one wire came loose after all that time :)
the 12v has helped me drill though concrete, build thee shops, and thousands of other projects. Both drills have ample power and will keep on working with me until God knows when :) There have been true stories of these things even surviving fires I can’t attest to this and hopefully never will have to, But if you are looking to invest in a good cordless drill that will last a long time then get a DeWalt they are like the Energizer bunny They keep going and going

-- Proverbs Ch:3 vs 5,6,7 Trust in the lord with all thine heart and lean not unto your own understanding but in all your ways aknowledge him and he shall direct your path elmerthomas81@neo.rr.com

View sawblade1's profile

sawblade1

View Abbott's profile

Abbott

2570 posts in 1901 days

I could not get by without my cordless drills and impact.

TopamaxSurvivor

sawblade1 are you saying the batteries lasted this long too?

View Abbott's profile

Abbott

2570 posts in 1901 days

You know your a LJ when you name your drills lol

View AttainableApex's profile

AttainableApex

haha early dewalt cordless i have a 9v cordless from dewalt that i have had for over ten years.
i stopped using it for years, and when i pulled it out, bam worked perfect.
just bought a new impact driver and drill from makita.
wish i could have gotten the dewalt but they didn’t have a pack of both and it would have been way over what i wanted to spend and i already spent alot

-- Ben L

View Howie's profile

Howie

Glad you like your DeWalts. I on the other hand have not had that good of luck with them.(mainly battery life)
Have a great day.

-- Life is good.

View Uncle_Salty's profile

Uncle_Salty

Have gotten as much as 7 years out of the Dewalt 18v batteries at work.

I keep the batteries at room temp and fully charged. Run ‘em completely flat and then recharge completely. Take ‘em off the charger when they are charged.

I have a stack of batteries (12…! ) and we are currently using 2 cordless drills, 4 hammer drills, and a cordless circular saw.

I am complete believer in Dewalt. My personal experience is that nothing else compares in the cordless market.

But I do use a bit and brace (as pictured above) for drilling into outdoor projects (decks, gazebos, etc.). Hard to beat a bit and brace and a good auger bit going through 4×4’s or 2by’s doubled up.

View docholladay's profile

docholladay

I have a Makita 9.6V that is about 12 years old and 1 of the original batteries is still functioning. I had a Dewalt 12v once. It was a good strong drill. My only complaint was that it was heavy and not very well balanced. I couldn’t stand it up on the battery when I needed to set it down. I always had to lay it down on it’s side. I know that seems like a kind of petty complaint, but it was annoying to me. They have changed the shape of these drills now and that may not be a problem any longer.

Doc

-- Hey, woodworking ain't brain surgery. Just do something and keep trying till you get it. Doc

View jim C's profile

jim C

I also have the Makita 9.6V for at least a dozen years, with the original battery. It just keeps on going. I take the batteries into the house in the winter. I think the extended cold is the biggest enemy of batteries.

View Dwain's profile

Dwain

My grandfather gave me a dewalt 9.6v over 20 years ago. I still have it, it still works, but I may need to get a new battery pretty soon…I also have a 14.4 that is 10 years old. These things just keep going. Had to replace the batteries in the 14.4 a couple of years back, but that is reasonable every 10 years or so…

-- When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there is no end to what you CAN'T do

TopamaxSurvivor

Hey Unc I’ll be my Milwaukee Hole Hog will beat a brace on a bit any day :-)) It will also beat the crap out of me if I don’t have a good hold on it :-(( 16d nails, bores right through them !!

View ShopTinker's profile

ShopTinker

Great find! I too love my DeWalt cordless tools. I think I now have every 18v tool they make.

-- Dan - Valparaiso, Indiana, "A smart man changes his mind, a fool never does."

View sawblade1's profile

sawblade1

Update:
The part came in for the 18 volt yesterday and I installed it with no problem and the drill works perfect,
Topamax the batteries do last about 8-10 years Thanks everyone for reading :)

View randi's profile

randi

Dewalt 18v (ni Cad) drill here.
Have been using it for I think 8 years.
Batts dont hold quite what they did when new, but I have always charged them, used them until dead, then charged them immediatley.

I have used and abused this drill everything from screwing down thousands of deckign screws, wire wheeling rust, to drilling into steel with large silver and demming drill bits.

Well worth whatever I paid for it, the charger and two batts.
If the batts fail I will probably rebuild them.

-- "A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila." ~Mitch Ratcliffe

TopamaxSurvivor

sawblade1 do you use them everyday for work?

TopamaxSurvivor

I don’t use mine at work everyday, but they get used a lot. I get about 2 years out of Ridgid batteries.