General Finishes Gel Stain, a good deal

Review by Andrew posted 10-24-2010 12:33 AM 5984 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
General Finishes Gel Stain, a good deal No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought some of this because I am refinishing a dresser ( saddly store bought). The dresser has been replaced by one I built. While it sat in my garage, it was noticed by a friend that wanted to relocate it to their home, but they wanted to have it refinished. So I sanded and sanded, then I dyed the unknown Malaysian wood to find out some sections did not take any dye at all, if I hadn’t sanded it myself, I would have thought there was excess glue in those places. So I put on a coat of shellac, and applied this stain. It gave a great coverage, and I was able to let it dry and touch up the lighter areas. Then a light sand, and a couple coats of poly, and done. Okay the product worked great. It is a polyurethane product so it dries tough, this is almost the first coat of poly, kind like a half coat. Also it doesn’t take much. I bought a pint of the Java color, and 2 coats and some touch ups, and I still have 2/3s of the can left.
Great productt.

-- Even a broken clock is right twice a day, unless, it moves at half speed like ....-As the Saw Turns

View Andrew's profile

#1 posted 10-24-2010 12:56 AM

-- Custom furniture

View richgreer's profile

#2 posted 10-24-2010 01:35 AM

Thank you for the review.

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

#3 posted 10-24-2010 04:46 AM

I too have used General Finishes Gel Stains and always with great success it is all I use now, just wish it came in smaller containers also because I sometimes don’t need much of a color.
I am taking a short seminar with Sheryl Monahan of General Finishes at a lathe club get together on November 6th and will post anything I learn new on LJ’s.

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View sedcokid's profile

#4 posted 10-25-2010 05:07 AM

I appreciate your review, I have never used the General Finish Gel Stain but will now!

-- Chuck Emery, Michigan,

View NH_Hermit's profile

#5 posted 10-27-2010 11:46 PM

Thanks for the review. I’m a fan of General Finishes too

-- John from Hampstead

View optimusprime's profile

#6 posted 11-03-2010 03:17 AM

Never used the General Finishes Gel Stain, but was wondering how it would hold up to direct sunlight? I have an exterior dorr project coming up and would be open to something different. The project is on a historic district home.

-- Just hammering through life!!!