3/8 inch shell auger for making lamps

Review by Andrew posted 10-23-2010 11:12 PM 3785 views 1 time favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
3/8 inch shell auger for making lamps 3/8 inch shell auger for making lamps 3/8 inch shell auger for making lamps Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this for my Christmas present projects for, it comes unhandeled, which is not a problem for a woodturner anyway. I did have to drill out my live center, but it worked, it works, and it works well. I made the handel from white oak, used the rust stain, and boiled linseed oil. I used a piece of copper pipe for the ferrule. The whole system works very nicely, I have found that 350 RPM works the best, also it works better if you are not using a spur drive, next time I will use a chuck so I have a hollow center to finish into. But I can say the auger stayed on center. This was about a quarter of the cost of others I have seen. I will update after I have made more lamps and used it repeatedly.
Thanks

-- Even a broken clock is right twice a day, unless, it moves at half speed like ....-As the Saw Turns

View Andrew's profile

Andrew

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

TopamaxSurvivor

#1 posted 10-25-2010 04:00 AM

Thanks for the review. I didn’t know anyone made a shell auger.

View Andrew's profile

Andrew

#2 posted 10-25-2010 03:01 PM

There are a couple of places to get them, Woodworkers supply ( my choice and 1/3 the cost of others) sells without a handle, and Craft Supplies ( woodturnerscatalog.com) sells them with a handle.

View docholladay's profile

docholladay

#3 posted 10-26-2010 05:23 AM

I am curious about this. Any chance of posting a video of it in action. I would really like to see that. I don’t think I have ever seen something quite like this.

Doc

-- Hey, woodworking ain't brain surgery. Just do something and keep trying till you get it. Doc