Happy with it for the money

Review by Kenshu posted 10-22-2010 09:53 PM 11626 views 3 times favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Happy with it for the money No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

About a year ago I picked up my first table saw, an older craftsman contractor saw, for about a hundred dollars. I took it home, cleaned it up, replaced the blade with a freud diablo combination blade, and spent a lot of time tuning it. It didnt take me long to figure out that it was underpowered, the fence was terrible and would not stay aligned and the belt pully had a habit of flying off mid cut (even after being replaced). I spent several months dealing with it and finally decided I needed to upgrade.

I spent a lot of time researching and looking and eventually I was torn between the Porter Cable PCB27-TS and the Jet JPS10. The 20% off one item at Lowes coupon that my wife acquired finally helped me make my decision to buy the Porter Cable. I picked up the saw, took it home and started assembling. The machine was well packed but even so I found that the dust collection port had broken off and the mechanism to raise and lower the blade had broken off. I returned the saw and was given another one which I am happy to report was in much better shape.

Assembly took me about 3 hours partly because I took my time and partly because the instructions could have been better. The biggest problem with the instructions was the diagrams outlining the part number did not match what they would reference in the instructions. The diagram used numbers to identify the part but the instructions would reference a letter. It was easy enough to figure out that 1 would equal A and 2 was B but it was still a pain.

After assembling the saw I started aligning the miter slot to the blade but much to my surprise I didnt need to. The blade and the miter slot were in perfect alignment as was the fence to the miter slot. As a result I cant tell you for certain how difficult that would be to fix but the instructions make it look like its not too difficult. The only issue I had with assembly was figuring out how to install the riving knife and the shroud over the blade. Once I had them installed I was pleased to see that the riving knife was perfectly aligned to the blade as well. I swapped the blade that came with the saw for my Freud which was much easier and safer to do than on my craftsman thanks to the arbor lock.

Upon turning the saw on I was surprised at just how different it sounded. It was much quieter than the old saw yet….beefier. Since I had just finished building a new work bench with 3/4 MDF (which often bogged the old saw down) I decided to run a couple of scraps to check the accuracy of the fence. I set the fence to make a 3” cut and ran a piece through it. I couldnt believe how easily the material moved across the surface of the table and was really surprised to feel almost no resistance as the MDF went through the blade. The fence needed about a 1/8” adjustment to set it correctly but the cut was perfectly square. After adjusting the fence I was able to make cuts at any width and the fence never moved and were always the right width.

I have used it quite a bit over the last couple of weeks and I so far I am very pleased with it. It still cuts perfectly aligned and square with the rip fence and I have yet to bog it down even when using the dado blade. The dust collection port connected to a shop vac is a huge improvement over no dust collection at all but I do plan to install a real dust collection system after we move. Perhaps the best thing about this saw is its mobility. Just press a lever with your foot and you can move the saw anywhere you would like. It’s still early to say but at this point it feels like a good quality machine, perhaps not quite as nice as more pricier models but at a retail price of 599.00 I think its pretty good.

View firehouse's profile

firehouse

#1 posted 10-22-2010 10:17 PM

HELLO ! kenshu nice saw i have been looking at that saw for myself , I JUST PICK UP A NEW PORTER-CABLE DRILL PRESS MODEL PCB660DP 15” FLOOR MODEL $ 269.00 AT LOWES I AM VERY HAPPY WITH IT . GOOD LUCK————- FIREHOUSE

-- duke 66 ocala fl.

View Rick Boyett's profile

Rick Boyett

#2 posted 10-22-2010 10:29 PM

Ahh, so that’s what they did with the old Hitachi table saw..

View a1Jim's profile (online now)

112083 posts in 2229 days

#3 posted 10-22-2010 10:47 PM

Thanks for the review it dosn’t take long for most folks to realize the $100 saws are not of much value :))

View ChuckC's profile

ChuckC

#4 posted 10-22-2010 11:51 PM

Good luck with the new saw!

View spunwood's profile

spunwood

#5 posted 10-24-2010 03:12 AM

I have the same saw and enjoy it very much. Here is a recent post by daddy z on a zero tolerance insert that may work for your saw.

-- I came, I was conquered, I was born again. ἵνα ὦσιν ἓν

View Howie's profile

Howie

#6 posted 10-24-2010 03:45 AM

Bottom line is as long as you are happy with it that’s all that makes a difference.
I’ve looked at this saw and thought it looked pretty nice.

-- Life is good.

#7 posted 10-28-2010 11:51 PM

Kenshu,
I am glad you like your saw.
I looked at it today at Lowe.
I have a question: how do you connect a dust collector to it?
The one at Lowe has no provision for that.

#8 posted 10-28-2010 11:56 PM

On the back side of the saw there is a port to connect a hose for dust collection. I believe it is 4 inches but cannot say for certain until I get home.

#9 posted 11-02-2010 06:11 AM

Sounds like a good purchase was made

-- Norman

View harley04's profile

harley04

#10 posted 11-09-2010 06:27 PM

Just bought one at Lowes 3 days ago and it took about 3 hrs. to assemble. Man is that thing heavy but the casters allow for easy movement. Have not used it much yet but it is 10 times better and quieter than my old Craftsman portable. One thing I found putting it together was that a set of T handle hex wrenchs make the adjustments go alot faster and easier,but on the whole not much needed to be adjusted. Won’ get to use it much as I am having surgery at the end of the month but when I am back on my feet I look forward to posting some project fotos on the site and getting back on my Harley also.

View Sawsall12's profile

Sawsall12

#11 posted 05-24-2011 10:58 PM

I bought this saw last year as my woodworking projects had outgrown the capabilities of my cheesy Ryobi TS. There have been complaints about the fence, but I have had great results. The motor is strong and smooth. The casters allow me to move the saw around the garage with ease. I absolutely loved this saw until last week. A new project requires me to use the miter slots. I checked the alignment to the blade and found it out of adjustment by 1/16th of an inch. The manual makes no reference for this adjustment. After a 30 minute discussion with a customer service agent reading from the same manual, I was told there is no way to adjust it, they would make a note of my complaint, and hung up on!!! I found a forum online discussing the same issue, with no resolution. Another site claims that the saw is not made by Porter Cable at all. It is made by Rexon who purchased the rights to to use the PC logo. This saw has so much potential, but without that adjustment, it is essentially useless. This oversight in conjunction with poor customer service has ensured there will be no more Porter Cable tools in my shop.

View mveach's profile

mveach

#12 posted 11-21-2011 03:17 AM

I have this saw and am using it to build new kitchen cabinets. Mine did require some adjustment but it was no problem. I also did not have the problem with the miter gauge. This is not a saw for the unprofessional that is making a living with it. But, for my use it should serve me well for many years.

View FrankyFiveAces's profile

FrankyFiveAces

#13 posted 12-01-2011 07:52 AM

I have been considering upgrading from my Craftsman contractor saw and the PC is near the top of my list. Only problem is that I am in the military and I move every year or two. Can any of you who own this saw comment on how it would stand up to a move? I’m thinking of weight (it is one of the lighter hybrids I can find), durability to movers banging it around, and the fact that every time I set it up I will have a lot of readjusting to do. Thanks for the great review Kenshu and all the good comments.

-- "Never give a sucker an even break." -W.C. Fields

#14 posted 12-01-2011 11:22 PM

I can only speak to my own experience in movig it which was just a couple miles. I did not do anything other than roll it up the ramp and secure it like all my other things.

If I were moving a long distance I would probably take the saw off its base before moving but I would do that with any contractor style saw. Better to be safe than sorry.

View clafollett's profile

clafollett

#15 posted 02-21-2013 02:30 AM

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I ran across it while searching for after market fences for this saw.

I too purchase this saw a little over a year ago. Like Sawsall12 above, my blade as out of alignment. The documentation does not discuss how to fix this but if you pull off the back cover, you will find each corner where the base meets the table top is a socket hex head bolt. Loosen all 4 corners and you can move the table top by lifting and turning. Make very small “nudges” and check your alignment frequently. Once you are happy with the alignment, tighten down the bolts. Problem solved.

Now… the fence for this saw, even after adjustments, its easy to knock out of alignment. Check your work frequently.

-- Don't mind me, I'm just soaking up knowledge