Cabinet scraper

Review by ducky911 posted 10-22-2010 06:16 PM 3618 views 2 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Cabinet scraper No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Hi,

I thought I would post this as there may be some others that have not tried using scrapers. Oh man if I only hand the hours back spent on sanding.

My wife been bugging me for a bedroom mirror and since I been buying tools lately I figured that her project better move up on the list. I had some hard maple left over.

I ran the frame material through the table saw on an angle to make a cove—-I had done that several times before and it takes alot of sanding and making special blocks to sand with.

I got this scraper set and the 15 dollars I spent has been saved in sand paper! These thin sheets of metal are amazing.——-I was also able to fix a routed round over on the edge that must have bumped around the bit or something. In the past I run the board through the router again or tried sanding both with soso results—the scraper cleaned it up nicely.

I not sure but I played with them some but it seems that you can go cross grain a bit with these too. I scrwewed a sample miter together making it off some and it cleaned it up nicely.

5 stars from me—-I am a scraper now!

View ducky911's profile

ducky911

View Tomoose's profile

Tomoose

#1 posted 10-22-2010 07:07 PM

I am going to have to give these a try – thanks for the informative review. I had no idea they were so inexpensive.

-- cut it twice and it's still too short...

View lew's profile

lew

#2 posted 10-22-2010 07:39 PM

Great review!

I have this set, also, and they work great for me.

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

#3 posted 10-22-2010 07:41 PM

In all of the current ducuments and other instructions, they tell you to that you should scrape away from you. I was reading an old Disston manual (1918 or something) that you use their scraper toward you. I thought these was interesting.

The next step is the #80 cabinet scraper, I have the Stanley version. This will take off the larger areas faster and finish with the card scraper – what is sandpaper? Is that that stuff they also call glass cloth or paper?

#4 posted 10-23-2010 02:25 AM

I also have this set and they seem to keep their edges for quite a while in my experience. I’ve only used one other brand of scraper , and for the money , I would buy these again : )

View Chip's profile

Chip

1904 posts in 2847 days

#5 posted 10-23-2010 12:32 PM

Have had these for a year and love them. I suppose more expensive ones hold their edge longer but for the money these work great IMHO.

-- Better to say nothing and be thought the fool... then to speak and erase all doubt!

View rivergirl's profile

rivergirl

#6 posted 10-23-2010 03:51 PM

Video on how to sharpen card scrapers from American Fine Woodworking

There was a better on too, where the guy used diamond stones, but I can’t find it?

-- Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

View Jamie Speirs's profile

Jamie Speirs

#7 posted 10-23-2010 03:59 PM

Todd has a simple method that works.
as he says it is not for the purist, but I think for ease it is fantastic.
My live edge pieces always get finished with a sander then hand, followed by a wire wool and oil.
So for me it also gives the ideal result FAST

Jamie

-- Who is the happiest of men? He who values the merits of others, and in their pleasure takes joy, even as though 'twere his own. --Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

View Steve's profile

Steve

#8 posted 10-25-2010 01:08 PM

I bought a set of these last year during one of the holiday sales when ordering some other things. Just used them last week for the first time. Used them to clean up glue squeeze out and then tried them out on the rough edges the band saw left. I must say I fell in love with scaping instantly. I found I liked it about like hand planing. It made me feel conected to the project, for the lack of a better explanation. Ok, so now I’ll ask the newbie question. Why use them by pushing away. I pulled them as I didn’t know any better. Worked fine for me. Actually, now that I think about it, I did both.

View StumpyNubs's profile

StumpyNubs

#9 posted 10-26-2010 02:41 PM

I don’t know why people say you have to push a scraper away from you, I find that pulling works just as well. I love the woodcraft scrapers, and they also have a couple of other sets with different profiles worth buying. Plus they have a very nice wooden scraper holder that you can pinch it in and it takes a lot of the stress off your hands while using them!

Thanks for the review!

#10 posted 10-26-2010 08:23 PM

When I do a top, my main tools are the planes and scrapers. I will use 220 sandpaper to show me where there are nicks, chips, and grooves. Any sandpaper that I use from there is 500+, pumice, and finish with rottenstone.

The cabinet scaper and card scrapers, I have found, are almost required unless you have access to large planers and drum sanders. Once you have figured out how to sharpen the things, life gets much better.

Push – Pull – or both, if you make it do what you need it to do, its all good. As a note, I do not sharpen all 4 sides, I have two rectangle scrapers – I just sharpen opposing edges. Handling these for an hour or more with all 4 edges being sharp can really make your hands sore.

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

4806 posts in 1929 days

#11 posted 10-26-2010 08:28 PM

Thanks for the review !

There are (only) TWO things in my shop that have sat, unopened, since I bought them: the riser kit for my band saw (working on it), and … this very same set.

Good to know I got good ones. Think it’s time I get to using them :-)

And .. Steve ... thanks. Good to know it isn’t just me ;-)

Incidentally, rumor has it that you may want to wear gloves, or “thumb protection” when (pushing) using the scrapers. Allegedly, they heat up quite a bit. Any truth to that ?

-- -- Neil

#12 posted 10-26-2010 08:31 PM

Yep, sure can.

View swirt's profile

swirt

1952 posts in 1727 days

#13 posted 10-26-2010 10:45 PM

NBeener, they do heat up a little bit (more so as they get dull as they change from being a scraper to a burnisher). Gloves are probably overkill. I just put a piece or two of blue painters tape about 1/4” inch above the cutting edge and it is usually enough to insulate my thumbs from the heat.

-- Galootish log blog, http://www.timberframe-tools.com