Carter Bandsaw guides

Review by rikkor posted 2336 days ago 8400 views 2 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Carter Bandsaw guides Carter Bandsaw guides No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

My main reason for getting a large bandsaw was for resawing boards up to eight inches wide. The performance I was getting from the Grizzly was less than satisfactory. Then, I was at a woodworking show, and the guy from Carter was sawing slices less than 1/8” thick, and very smooth from a chunk of walnut. He said it was due to guide bearings that were specifically designed for resawing. I had to have this! I almost choked when I saw the price, but I bought it anyway. It took about 45 minutes to install. Then I watched the video that was included on tuning the bandsaw, and did the tune-up. Now my saw cuts considerably better and more consistently than before. I recently sent for a Woodslicer blade based on comments from other LumberJocks, but haven’t installed it yet. (Unheated garage) I expect another improvement from the blade.

If Resawing is your game I would recommend the Carter bearings wholeheartedly.

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

I agree Rikkor. I have only done limited resawing on my bandsaw (installed in December) but it came outfitted with the Carter bearings and I couldn’t be more pleased with its performance. They are not cheap but are well worth the price.

View Mike Lingenfelter's profile

Mike Lingenfelter

I’ve been looking at this guide for my Grizzly band saw too. It’s starting to move closer to the top of my tool list. Thanks for the review.

View reible's profile

reible

A big thumbs up for these guides! I had a friend who kept telling me how great they were… I looked at the price and said that is almost more then what I paid for my saw back in the early 70’s you’ve got to be crazy…

A few years later I was debating replacing the saw and figured the guides might save me a few $$ if they really worked. They did and it turned out I was the crazy one for not doing it sooner!

One thing that I noticed the moment I turned the saw on was how much noise the old guides were generating. The second thing was how much better cut I could get after the change over. This past winter I added the “other” Carter option that helps with free style cutting, they call it the Stabilizer™. Waiting for winter to end so I can give it a try… (also an unheated garage shop).

Ed

-- Knight of the Shopsmith

View tenontim's profile

tenontim

I’ve never tried these guides, I have the BAND ROLLER brand, which work fine. They are only the two side guides. The thing that impresses me about the Carter guides is the rear roller, which takes the load of the saw blade on it’s edge, instead of it’s side, like most original equipment guides. Bearings are not meant to carry a load on the side of the bearing, but on the edge. I think the reason I didn’t go with these was because the cut down on the thickness of wood that would fit under the guide. I thinking of upgrading to a riser block, so that won’t be a problem, and I think I will also upgrade to this type of guide system.

View PanamaJack's profile

PanamaJack

Lookin’ into these now. Sounds like a great catch.

-- Carpe Lignum; Tornare Lignum (Seize the wood, to Turn the wood)

View Chris 's profile

Chris

I have been considering these for my Jet14” (especially since the lower thrust bearing seized yesterday). I think I will purchasing a set real soon. Thanks for the review….

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

Because of computer problems I was given dispensation by Martin to use manufacturer’s photos for the Leap day review contest. Now that the computer issues are resolved I will post actual photos of my items.

Carter bearings

Carter bearings

View odie's profile

odie

WOW, I finally used mine on my Ricon 14” deluxe bandsaw. With a 3/4” blade these guides make so easy to resaw at least an 8” piece so far. It was so straight and true.

-- Odie, Confucius say, "He who laughs at one's self is BUTT of joke". http://woodstermangotwood.blogspot.com/ (my funny blog)

View MedicKen's profile

MedicKen

1599 posts in 2058 days

Now that you have had the guides for better than a year, how are they holding up? I am restoring a Rockwell 14” bandsaw and have ordered a conversion kit from Carter. The kit includes both upper and lower guides and a new hex shank guide bar.

-- My job is to give my kids things to discuss with their therapist....medic20447@gmail.com

I have the same type guides (Also Carter) on my 19” bandsaw. I’ve had them for 4 years and I’m very happy with them.

View thamar's profile

thamar

I just put them on my Delta 14” and they really made a great improvement in the saw. I think I’ll be buying a few more of these Carter products. I was impressed with how well machined everything was.

View Camero68's profile

Camero68

Good review from one satisfied customer! Perfect fit for you!