Ok base for price

Review by Manitario posted 1373 days ago 1852 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Ok base for price No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Bought this yesterday for my TS; was on sale for $65 at my local tool store, regular $95. It took me about 2 hours to assemble, and a lot of fiddling to get it to be the correct size. The instructions are fairly detailed, but neglect to mention to size the base 1/2” larger than the size of the tool you are mounting on it, due to the lip on the stand. So, needless to say, I had it assembled, and my TS precariously balanced to go on the stand when I realized that I had made it too small and had to take it completely apart again.
Otherwise, the stand does a good job in allowing me to easily move my TS around. Despite how I set it up though, it is still slightly wobbly; maybe all aftermarket mobile bases are like this, but it is frustrating. Overall, I give this stand 3 stars; it works well, but it lost points for unclear instructions and the fact that it is wobbly.

-- Sometimes the creative process requires foul language. -- Charles Neil

View Manitario's profile

Manitario

View Tomoose's profile

Tomoose

312 posts in 1972 days

I have the same base but I have my little Hitachi 13” Band saw on it. It works OK for that saw, but I’m not sure it would hold the TS very well. Assembly brought back fond memories of my childhood Erector set – same thing only smaller.

p.s. – watch out for those aluminum cam levers on the casters – caught my pant leg on them more than once and you where tripping can get you in the shop…

-- cut it twice and it's still too short...

View Tim_456's profile

Tim_456

thanks for the review. I”m still in the market for a mobile base that has four steerable casters rather than two steers/two fixed. I need to move mine both left/right AND front to back without doing a bunch of three-point turns all night! ;) just my usual mobile base rant :D

Thanks again for the review!

View AnthonyC's profile

AnthonyC

I have two of those bases in my shop. One on the DP, one on the planer stand (used to be for the TS before I got the bigger shop). I scraped my ankle and stubbed my toe on those cam levers more than I care to recall.

But for the price, they are pretty good. And the fact that I’ve had them on four different tools now speaks to their versatility.

-- Amateur woodworker, professional mess-maker.

View lashing's profile

lashing

I have 2 of these. You are right – the instructions were terrible. But the bases are fine. Interesting note – the sizes it says on the box are wrong. You can actually go much larger than what it claims on the box. At least on the ones I got.