Great little square for the price.

Review by docholladay posted 10-20-2010 01:34 PM 3149 views 1 time favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great little square for the price. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

First off let me say that I have several Starrett and Brown & Sharpe squares, dividers and other layout tools. I have a 4” Starrett Double square that I love, but sometimes it is just too small. I had been looking for a matching 6” square. I saw this one on the Eagle America website recently and it happened to be on sale so I decided to take a chance an order one. I was fully expecting a cheap pot metal square with stamped steel blade. When I opened it up, I was very pleasantly suprised. The body of the square is cast iron and the blade is very nicely etched much the same as a Starrett. As far as I can tell, it is dead on square also. I am very pleased with this tool. For $34.99, much less expensive that a Starrett too. (BTW, when it was on sale last week, it was only $19.99). I am impressed with the quality of this tool. There may be other sources for these, but you can find them at www.eagleamerica.com.

Doc

-- Hey, woodworking ain't brain surgery. Just do something and keep trying till you get it. Doc

View docholladay's profile

docholladay

View mafe's profile

mafe

#1 posted 10-20-2010 01:50 PM

Wauuu, it looks wonderful, it’s a high on my wish list tool.
Thank you for the review.
Best thoughts,
Mads

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

#2 posted 10-20-2010 05:02 PM

Thanks, Doc. Like Mads, I don’t have a double square, not even in my machine shop. I would definitely like to have one in my home shop. I think that my tools list only grows. It doesn’t seem to ever decrease. Thanks for the tip.

View Lee Barker's profile

Lee Barker

#3 posted 10-20-2010 05:16 PM

I bought one of these recently, on sale, but elsewhere. I decided it was probably marked down because the knurled nut is too small—it should stand proud of the rest of the casting so it is easier to grasp and snug and unsnug.

That said, I use it and enjoy it and the price was right!

-- "...in his brain, which is as dry as the remainder biscuit after a voyage, he hath strange places cramm'd with observation, the which he vents in mangled forms." --Shakespeare, "As You Like It"

View GabrielX's profile

GabrielX

#4 posted 10-20-2010 09:57 PM

Tools Rule! Could def use one of those that size. My level and framing square are too large to use on small boxes and such, even around the house. Nice find.

-- GX

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

#5 posted 10-21-2010 12:24 AM

thank´s for the rewiew Doc. :-)
its good to hear others make those as good as starrets but a hell lot cheaper

take care
Dennis

View Chinitorama's profile

Chinitorama

105 posts in 1964 days

#6 posted 10-23-2010 01:22 AM

Nice review Doc! I picked up one of these as a backup. Same impressions as yours. Nicely made and well priced. A bit bulkier than my premium square. Only complaint is the ruler can shift if the lock nut isn’t cinched really tight. Might wear out faster than on a more expensive make.
I can live with less durability tho as they’re regularly priced where I live for less than $20! :)

-J.

View rsladdwoodworks's profile

rsladdwoodworks

#7 posted 11-01-2010 05:02 PM

I am going get one thank you your fine testing of it I need a good sliding square

-- Robert Laddusaw and no I am not smarter then a fifth grader ( and no I canot spell so if it is a problem don't read it ))

View ChuckV's profile

ChuckV

#8 posted 11-05-2010 04:27 PM

I was shipped the 4” version of this double square by mistake. I ordered the Starrett version ($55) from Traditional Woodworker. They sent me this one ($13) instead. The Customer Support was great even though my first request for a replacement led to some confusion. I was told that I could send back the wrong square after I received the correct one, but it did not come for quite a while because they were actually waiting to get the wrong one back. When I called back they sent out the Starrett right away and let me keep the iGAGING one.

It certainly does not have the feel of a Starrett or B&S and it is out of square by .001” over 4”. But, if I had paid just $13 for it, I would have been happy – and you can’t beat free.

-- “That it will never come again / Is what makes life so sweet. ” ― Emily Dickinson

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

#9 posted 11-05-2010 04:48 PM

FWIW, my brother is the product rep for MagSwitch, and attends all the national WW shows.

He’s met with the owner of this company, and strongly supports the entire product line.

I haven’t bought anything they make, yet, but … would.

And… I recently got my 4” Starrett combination square, and—as you might guess—wonder how I’ve lived this long without it !

So … thanks for the review :-)

-- -- Neil