First "Real" Table Saw Doesn't Disappoint

Review by Manitario posted 1378 days ago 3582 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
First "Real" Table Saw Doesn't Disappoint First "Real" Table Saw Doesn't Disappoint No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

After outgrowing my $100 Ryobi TS; I decided rather than slightly upgrade, to buy a saw that (hopefully) will last a lifetime. I decided on a granite top TS partly due to the climate I live in; it goes down to -30 in the winter, and I didn’t want my top to warp or rust when I heat my garage. Assembly was relatively pain free; it involved attaching the extension wing, the fence guide bars and the plug; overall about 3h worth of work. The fence needed a very slight adjustment to be parallel with the blade which was easily done. The TS came with choice of a blade guard or a riving knife. So far, I am very happy with this saw. It cuts accurately and smoothly and appears to have plenty of power (although I haven’t tested it with any thick hardwood yet). The dust collection, as with a lot of TS’s is just so-so. The saw has a 4” port for DC at the back, but this does little to capture the stream of dust off the blade. I’ve seen some blade guard DC contraptions, both home made and for sale, which may be a worthwhile future upgrade.
Overall, great saw, for a reasonable price.

Update: So, thought I’d update this review a bit after using it over the past 4 months. I’m still pretty happy with the saw; I finally got a good quality dial indicator and was able to really accurately assess it. The mitre slot is parallel to the blade to within 0.002” and the arbor runout is ~0.002”. Needless to say, I’ve found the saw cuts very accurately. I love that I don’t have to worry about the surface rusting as I do with my other stationary tools, a wipe with some stone cleaner is all it needs from time to time. A few minor annoyances; unlike some other TS I’ve seen, the throat plate is held down by 4 screws rather than a pin. This makes for a bit more of a hassle when changing it often, eg. switching to my dado plate etc. As well, I’m lazy and would rather just buy a couple of pre-made zero clearance inserts than make them myself, but I have not been able to find anywhere anyone that makes them for this TS.
As well, the mitre slot on both sides of the blade is pretty tight; I should probably look into adjusting the extension wings but can’t be bothered right now.
Otherwise, still a great saw and I’m happy with the purchase.

-- Sometimes the creative process requires foul language. -- Charles Neil

View Manitario's profile

Manitario

View MickeyD's profile

MickeyD

We bought a General a few years ago before riving knives were required and I wish my saw had one, but we have been very happy with the saw the way it is. We bought a Brett Guard for it and have never used the guard that came with it.

-- -Willing to try

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

As the owner of one of those $100 Ryobi saws … may I say … nice upward leap :-)

I’ve heard universally good things about General—that they do a nice product, and keep good quality control.

I’ve never heard an effective solution for over-the-table dust except an overarm, a Shark, and Excalibur, or similar.

It’d be interesting to hear your thoughts in a few months—after you’ve put more miles on her!

Enjoy the new tool. Stay safe !

-- -- Neil

View Splinterman's profile

Splinterman

23058 posts in 1963 days

Hey Rob,
Sweet saw…good one…work safe.

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

Great review.

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

View Moron's profile

Moron

Tool prices in Ontario have plummeted. 2 years ago I could have gotten about 7 to 10K for my used shaper and now the same shaper, brand new is less then 5K. I have been to several auctions where a general cabinet saw with beismeyer fence and excaliber sliding table, (not a scratch) and the auctioneer had a hell of a time getting 150 bucks, less then the cost of a new hand held circular saw.

Sign of the times I guess.

Congrats on your new saw as it shoulod give you a life time of enjoyment.

-- "Good artists borrow, great artists steal”…..Picasso

View AttainableApex's profile

AttainableApex

haha you should see the duct i made for my table saw. i just posted it the other day.

-- Ben L

View dbray45's profile

dbray45

When I retire I am looking at getting a full blowm TS – 8 years and counting.

Moron: What part of Ontario, my daughter lives in Niagara Falls, would not be adverse to going a little north to check out the tool auctions.

-- David in Damascus, MD

View Moron's profile

Moron

Right across the entire province. The economy isnt what it used to be and I see a LONG painful recovery.

I live an hour north of Toronto.

-- "Good artists borrow, great artists steal”…..Picasso

View knotscott's profile

knotscott

5369 posts in 1978 days

Nice review…the first I’ve read about the new GI 50-240GT. This has cabinet mounted trunnions correct? Also, what blade did you install?

Enjoy!

View Manitario's profile

Manitario

yep, cabinet mounted trunnions. I’m using the 40T blade that came with the saw, it gives nice smooth cuts with very little tear-out, eventually I’d like to upgrade, but I’ve spent too much on other toys for my shop…

-- Sometimes the creative process requires foul language. -- Charles Neil

Sounds like you made wise purchase and its working out as planned. Hope all continues

-- Norman